App developer raises price of iPhone app to $39.99 to teach ...

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by Schiau Studios, Oct 12, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 5, 2009

and more others...

We do not encourage people buying Alchemize™ at this high price of $39.99.

This price was set due to the fact that every developer who gets complains about price they tend to go only in one direction. And that is down with the price.
    We wanted to get everybody's attention and therefor we did the opposite this time.

We apologize to all real customers for the inconvenient created and thank everybody that already bought and enjoys Alchemize and supported us into this protest. We hope you will stick with us and join our charity campaign starting Monday Oct. 12th, 2009.

Starting Monday Oct. 12th, 2009 we will give away 33% (from the original price tag of $2.99) of the sales to Ioana Costea, a 19year old girl who is asking for the chance to live (her blog for more details at, as part of our charity program.
    NOW, it is time to do something that really matters!

Feel free to support this campaign in any way you want.
    You can find contact information on or Ioana's blog (

NOTE: To the persons who bought Alchemize™ at the protest price of $39.99, all the money above $2.99 will go to Ioana's Charity Fund. We thank you for your support in this protest.

Thank you all for supporting us.
  2. macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2009
  3. macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2008
    Fort Collins Colorado
    Developers have the right to change their price even if it is allot higher. Get over it and live your life.
  4. macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2009
    I just downloaded a pirated version of your (crappy) app for free from the internet. Protest fail.
  5. macrumors 68040

Jan 11, 2007
    North Central Florida

Pirates should be made to walk the plank.
  6. macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Apr 16, 2009
    Wow, you really showed us. :rolleyes:
    Congratulations on driving your app sales, and all future apps, into the ground.
  7. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
  8. macrumors 6502a

Sep 12, 2008
    In a house...duh!
    Wow...some very mature responses to a issue that obviously the developer felt pretty strong about. Way to be supportive. Now go back to your 7th grade remedial algebra class and leave this thread to the adults.

9. macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Apr 16, 2009
    I cant do tha algebraz. Im still in Geometry. Can a smart adult like you show us how hiking your price to ask the consumer to stop "bitching" about high prices is an "adult" thing to do? Please oh please mister? I'll give you a nickel! Its all I have from my allowance.
  10. macrumors 68040

Jan 11, 2007
    North Central Florida
    You must fall under that "no child left behind" thing.... because you have to take Algebra 1 before you get to take Geometry. :rolleyes:
  11. macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Apr 16, 2009
    Oh, right. Haha its been a little while since 9th grade Geometry. I forgot I took Algebra 1 in Middle school.
  12. macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2009
    Why should we be supportive? We are the consumers and these guys actually have the audacity to act as if they don't need us.

Hi, im Schiau Studios. I don't know anything about basic economics but I know that if the market leans one way, i'll go the other way!

I saw on one of his links that he got 3400 emails asking for a price change in one month (yeah, right). But for arguments sake, imagine if this was true and the devs had responded with common sense. Say they reduce the price by $1 as a promotion. Not only would it have gotten many of those potential purchases, it always adds to their reputation that the devs listen to their customers. The profit would have offset the 'loss' by a huge margin.

Instead, these buffoons raised the price and not only lost all those potential customers, but likely many more instead (me, for one). And then they throw in a charitable donation as a way to further make themselves look like the good guys.

How incredibly ironic for them to call the consumers whiners.
    This is Schiau Studios:

I encourage everybody interested in this app to pirate it. Why not have a protest of your own?

EDIT: I do feel that I should mention that $3 is plenty reasonable for the app in question. My entire rant however is directed at the response of the developers.
  13. macrumors 68040

Jan 11, 2007
    North Central Florida
    So they have a right to price how they want.... and you are encouraging breaking the law?

Piracy is stealing. Period.

Find another free app that fits your needs, or vote with your wallet. But stealing isn't the answer, nor is encouraging it.
  14. macrumors 6502

May 21, 2009
    Santa Monica, CA
    I'll take a remedial algebra class if you take a BUSINESS 101 class.

OK bud? LEARN HOW BUSINESS works in America. The businesses NEED the consumer. To live. To survive.

And a business does not gain customer loyalty and trust by jacking up the price of their product to a ridiculous amount, just because they felt we were complaining too much.

That's not how business relationships are formed. That's not how app developers become successful with a loyal following, like Gameloft or Chillingo, etc. etc.

Get off your damn high horse. :rolleyes:
  15. macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2009
    Did you build your car? Your house? Your PC? Did you develop the tech involved in running your PC? No? Oh, well thank goodness there are commercial entities there to do the work for you.

Businesses and consumers are co-dependant.

And "In America"? What's so unique about the American business model?
  16. macrumors 6502a

Sep 12, 2008
    In a house...duh!
    The dev is trying to make a point which seems to be sailing over many people's heads hear. They probably went to an extreme to make that point, but they are trying to make a point.

They see the market for apps all dropping to that $.99 price point....or lower.... and don't think that is where it belongs. They are getting e-mail after e-mail from people telling them their $2.99 app is too expensive.

Here is my question for you:

Do you think that all apps should be $.99? Should Minigore or Realracing be the same price as some Fart app?

Most people equate price with value and worth. I personally think a cool app like Minigore or Realracing has more worth or value than a fart app or tip calculator # 476...but that of course is just my opinion.

Here is my real point. If a consumer doesn't like the price of an app or can't afford it, then don't buy it. Speak with your wallet. But, don't hammer devs with hate mail and crappy reviews.

P.S. I know a little about business.

17. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  18. macrumors 68020

Apr 23, 2006
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    I'm with the dev on that article. Charging $3 for an app is not expensive at all. $15 is where it gets pricey for me.

Good article either way you look at it
  19. macrumors 65816

Sep 14, 2009
    I'm with the Developer on this as well. 2.99 is super cheap for an app. Most video games or programs are from 9.99 and up.
  20. macrumors member

Mar 16, 2006
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    I'm with the developers... and I'm a consumer!

As a consumer, I'm totally with the developers... the prices are very reasonable...and considering the quality and depth of some of these apps, I think some of the prices are bit low...consumers need to stop complaining and expecting that everything needs to be free or inexpensive... this isn't Walmart!
  21. macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2006
    The thick of it
    Perhaps the App Store is finally reaching a point where more expensive apps can sell. When the iPhone first appeared, it was much more costly and also unproven. It also had no apps at all, just web pages that behaved like widgets. So in a sense, all apps were free after you paid the high price for the first generation iPhone. When Apple debuted of the App Store, it was a whole new mass market and, like the original iPhone itself, was unproven. So it made sense to have a low price point for most apps. That would attract customers to the store. I wonder how many people would have originally bought apps if they were all priced at, say, $19.99 or higher.

So maybe people have become used to cheap apps because 1) apps started off cheap or free, or 2) people feel they've already spent plenty on the device itself and feel entitled to more functionality.

That mindset might begin to shift now that the iPhone and Touch are dropping in price. In a similar way that a cheap printer makes you spend half your paycheck on ink, perhaps the mobile device will be the cheap vehicle to get you to spend more on pricier apps.
  22. macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2007
    You get what you pay for...

As a consumer, I agree with the developers. Free apps are worth what you pay for them. If we hope to get high quality apps, we should expect to pay for them.

However, I also hope that developers are smart enough to realize that it is a small vocal group of people who complain about pricing. The developers would be smart to ignore these few and focus on those who speak with their wallet.

Give people what they want, and most are more than willing to pay for it. Likewise, there is of course a group that will never be happy, no matter what you give them, no matter how cheap the price.
  23. macrumors 65816

Sep 9, 2008
    I agree that not all apps are worth the same, but in this low priced market, volume speaks for everything. I bet Minigore sells way more than a fart app. It sucks for the dev that they need to spend so much time to make a quality game that sells for $0.99, but if they think about the potential iPhone/iPod Touch owners, they can easily sell a couple hundred thousand copies.

And another thing, it's not wise to piss off your potential customers. If I was a dev and got 3,400 emails for a price drop, I would make sure that I lock them in because that's alot of sales that Alchemize just lost with this lame scheme. Bottomline, it's a dumb move.
  24. macrumors 68020

Aug 11, 2008
    His app sucks, but he has a point.

Honestly, I hate this race to the bottom. It's the Atari all over again, and if Apple doesn't do something soon, the crap is going to drown the App Store.
  25. macrumors 601

Feb 19, 2008
    I have free apps, and I have paid for Navigon at $69. I think that in a capitlaist economy, you should charge what the market will bear.

To those whining about app prices - shut up and don't purchase the app.

To the developers - make good products, price them appropriately, provide support, and you will do well.

I do wish there was a way to "test drive" an app before purchase, either through a time-limited trial or a "free" limited app. The screen shots, verbal descriptions, and the reviews don't always give you an accurate feel for the app.