App for batch changing photo file names?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Frank (Atlanta), Apr 25, 2005.

1. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

Does anybody know of an app that could help me automatically save/rename photo files with the following naming convention (using exif info):

yymmdd_hhmm_####.extension, where:
    • yymmdd = year month day (20050425)
    • hhmm = hour min (24 hr, such as 1405)
    • #### = camera type (fixed input, such as D70)

I'd like to do this in a batch fashion with the app automatically pulling the shooting data from the exif info.

Is such an app available that would automate this naming convention (either when pulling the data off my compact flash card or afterwards)?

Thanks,
    Frank

2. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I haven't used Automator yet (come on and ship already!), but this sounds like something that should or will be possible with Automator and spotlight. In fact, it sounds like exactly the type of thing that it is for.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

This is what iPhoto does... but you might try looking into EasyBatchPhoto - it's normally used to convert a whole bunch of files, but I've used it to change the name of mutiple photos before - though not from the EXIF data.

A question you might ask is if Tiger's Automater can do this, it might - but I don't have Tiger yet. But there are people who have gotten it early.

Attached Files:

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

5. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Actually, in Automator's demo quicktime video, this is the exact thing they do.

6. Frank (Atlanta) thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all. I might just wait for Tiger's Automator...

I like the Better Finder link somebody posted; however, I'm also hoping for Nikon's raw format support (NEF).

Again, think I might wait for Automator - if anybody has any other experiences w/existing apps, though, I'd love to hear more.

Thanks!
    Frank

7. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

You don't have to wait. I've used R-Name to make batch file name changes to hundreds, maybe thousands of files at a time.

I find it to work very well and fast. It's free.

8. Frank (Atlanta) thread starter macrumors regular

Dreaming,

Thanks for the add'l info - very much appreciated. I looked at the link and couldn't find the answers to my 2 following questions - based upon your usage, will R-Name:
    • Pull exif info from my photos into the file name (i.e.: time & date the photo was taken)?
    • Will this work for any file type (including Nikon raw files)? Appeared to from some of the reviews, but thought I'd ask here, too.

Thanks,
    Frank

9. Frank (Atlanta) thread starter macrumors regular

Found one that works well...

All,

I gave ExifRenamer a try (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12577&page=2).

Does exactly what I need - automates (easily) the batch renaming of files using EXIF info. Can also add suffixes/prefixes to this date/time info.

I have no affiliation with the developer or otherwise - just wanted to pass-on that this app works well, as I'm happy with it.

Thanks,
    Frank