App for showing "now playing" cd cover on desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigbadTKO, Feb 13, 2006.

1. bigbadTKO macrumors member

Other than dragging a widget onto the desktop or using konfabulator, is there an app that displays the current cd cover in a jewelcase on the desktop?

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Indeed there is, I'm sure there are a few of them

But my search ended with the fantastic free App. called "clutter" google it....

It rocks. Finds the art work on Amazon, a simple cntl+shift+K copies the artwork to all the tracks with that album name, and then you can drag the artwork from clutter to your desktop for quick launching...

One of my favorite apps, free or commercial.

:)

3. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Or SizzlingKeys, which only comes up for a set amount of time when the songe start, but you can also assign hotkeys to start, pause, skip tracks.

::20ROGERSC::

4. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

clutter will show the now playing album in the dock, if that's preferable.

5. bigbadTKO thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the suggestions so far, i think ill give clutter a shot (i tried menuet and it's cool, but don't feel like paying for such a program)

6. energiie macrumors member

CoverSutra available here
    http://www.coversutra.com/
    i have it, and it is actually the best one out there.

7. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

CoverSutra of recent MacHeist fame. It'll even show album art as the icon when it's minimized. I tried it but didn't like it. I'd just as soon open iTunes as clutter up my desktop.

8. hempcamp macrumors member

I got CoverSutra with MacHeist bundle too. I thought I'd never even use it and laughed it off as a cheap throw-in to the bundle. But now I really like it!

--Chris

9. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I got CoverSutra as part of the MH bundle too but never installed it. What's so good about it?

10. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I agree completely :D

Haha exactly the same here. In fact, it's one of my favorite and most used apps from the Macheist bundle.

I love everything about it.

Well, it shows your Album Art work on your desktop in every space (the app, spaces) when you open up iTunes (If you open Coversutra, too). It's very configurable so that you can show a Vinyl record, older style CD case or modern CD case with your artwork in. It also allows you to press hotkeys to rate your music - which is very useful and nice :D
    And I think it has a search too... and more!

It's all-in-all a very nice app. Probably more recommended to those who have bigger displays (Mine is no problem on my 20" but I doubt someone with a 13" has the space for it).

I think it only costs about $15 too but really, it's a bargain for such nice software.

If you're a Spaces user and you keep iTunes open in another space, this is just the best thing to use when you want to check up what song is playing or give the song a different rating whilst you do something productive. It mixes work with fun in a non-disruptive way. Heck, Tiger users will still benefit because you can close the iTunes window yet still have full control over it without your music getting in the way.

I honestly recommend this to anyone who listens to music while they do computer-orientated work :)