App for taking notes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Evangelion, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Evangelion macrumors 68040

Quite often I run in to a situation where I need to type something dowqn quickly. On Linux I use Tomboy for that task, and it works beautifully. Is there anything similar available for OS X? No, Sticky Notes or the like are not an alternative :). I need an app that can store notes, but gets out of my way when I don't need it.

2. joeops57 macrumors member

But that's exactly what sticky notes does....
    Type whatever you want onto a note, double click the top and it will minimize. What other functionality are you looking for?

~Joe

3. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

I found an app calle myNotes recently.

http://www.mishimo.com/mynotes

This is a great app! I'm just using the trial version now, but I'm going to buy it pretty soon.

4. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

I need something that will not crowd the desktop or the Dock. Tomboy is just one icon in systray (granted, OS X doesn't really have a systray as such) that lists all the notes I have taken, and I can then select the one I want to see. Sticky Notes and similar are all separate. If I have 4 notes (for example), I have 4 separate items cluttering the UI.

5. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

that seems more like it :). Although I'm a bit disappointed that you actually have to buy it :(....

6. portent macrumors 6502a

All Mac applications have a Hide function (Command-H on the keyboard) that reduces all of the app's windows to a single icon in the dock. If you control-click (or right-click, or press-and-hold) on that icon, you will see a list of all windows (sticky notes, in this case) listed by title. Select one from the list, and it will appear on top. Hide them again when you're done.

Sticky notes are "titled" by their first line.

This is a basic feature of the Mac UI, and works for any application.

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

If it's just short notes, you might want to check out Sidenote. Seems to fit all your needs.

8. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

This one seems perfect! I need to check it out once I get back home. Thanks :)!

9. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

10. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

is this universal binary? looks like it supports PPC only...:(

11. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

So Stickies and/or Textedit isn't enough to just take notes?

12. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Looks like it's still only PPC but of course it will run under Rosseta.

It really is a nice little app, does what it does very well without resorting to being bloatware. To those saying "Stickies", Sidenote is pretty much stickies with a few added features to make it that much more useful :)

13. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

I was actually talking of the Dashboard-stickies in my original post. I only now noticed that tjere are stickies in Mac OS "proper" as well. Have to take a look at them as well.

14. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Well, no. I just checked the stickies (those outside Dashboard). I dislike the fact that the stickies stay in the Dock all the time. It's yet another con to clutter the Dock. Textedit isn't really suitable either, since it's a separate app. Sidenote seems nice because you can have it running all the time, yet it's hidden. But you can access it with a quick flick of a wrist :).

15. rogueToe macrumors newbie

Sidenote is one of the best free apps you can get for Mac — simple, elegant, useful.

16. MacMarvin macrumors member

I just use Textedit by saving a plain text file into one of my documents folders and then I drop this into the Finder sidebar.

Now when I need to take a note, I just click the icon, write what I need, save and close. I'd use rtf if I needed images and things but plain text works faster.

17. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

I am a fan of Voodoo Pad. http://www.flyingmeat.com/voodoopad/

there is a light version that is free, but the fullfeatured version is worth it.

great for a quick note, and the linking feature is nice.

18. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

way to beat me to the punch.

so there you go, thats two endorsments. cant go wrong. lol

19. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

i'm pretty sure word can do something like this

my sister uses word in her college classes to take notes & record the lecture

i'm not sure the details though
    (she's on a mac as well)

20. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica