Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Hi everyone,

Whats the closest app to Apple Remote Desktop 2 for the PC? I saw a video about the features it has and would love to be able to put it out over our Windows network.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I thought Windows XP Professional already has the necessary software installed, and if you want to run your PC remotely with your Mac, you can get the free Windows Remote Desktop (or some such name, I can't recall) off Microsoft's site.

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
As stated above theres VNC and the Microsoft Remote Desktop (those seem to be the most common ones)

I personaly prever VNC as ive found it to be quicker and you can do a few things like scale it to a specific size, or run it trough any internet browser that has java... The Microsoft one you pretty much need to install a program on the guest machines, and thats not always pratical especialy if you plan to use your computer from a school or something.

Theres many variations of VNC, I recomment tightvnc http://www.tightvnc.com as it can do full color (instead of 256 colors) and its quite responsive when using it... VNC is also made for *nix and macintosh platforms if you like it.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
There is also a client for Windows Remote Desktop that can be installed on Windows 2000 and Mac OS X. But not the server part, only Windows 2000 Server (Terminal Server), Windows 2003 Server and Windows XP have the server part to allow a remove connection to the computer.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
I'm looking for an app that can do this type of thing

From the Apple Site:
You’ve Never Had It So Easy

With its state-of-the-art software distribution features, Apple Remote Desktop 2 makes installing software on the Macs you manage a virtual walk in the park. It lets you remotely install new software on any number of your networked Macs without interrupting the client systems or requiring any interaction.

Can you do that with VNC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.