Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
OK,

So here's what I'm looking for. I'm looking for an easy way to turn off the following features of the iPhone on a temporary basis.

1. Turn off In-App Purchases
  2. Turn off iTunes Store
  3. Turn off Celluar Data
  4. Do not allow deleting of Photos, videos, messages, contacts, apps, etc.
  5. Restrict certain folders that have games that are MINE, but don't trigger the 13 rating
  6. Be flexible enough to allow my older kids a less restrictive setting list
Turn off iTunes Store

Right now, I use Restrictions in the Settings menu, but my kid is still able to delete things and can get into some of my games (RealRacing3 and Temple Run). I don't want him to spend my gold or gems by mistake.

Also, when I turn off restrictions, my icons get all jumbled up.

I can't be the only one that has this problem ... right?

Thanks.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Sounds like you're trying to create user profile, which probably is going to happen since it goes against the Apple philosophy/vision of one device/one user, hence the small i in iPad, iPhone etc. I do hear what you say however. In my family only my older kid has an Apple device. For the other kids we bought a cheap android tablet. No more bugging to use mine or the wife's phone anymore.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Sounds like you're trying to create user profile, which probably is NOT going to happen since it goes against the Apple philosophy/vision of one device/one user, hence the small i in iPad, iPhone etc. I do hear what you say however. In my family only my older kid has an Apple device. For the other kids we bought a cheap android tablet. No more bugging to use mine or the wife's phone anymore.

fixed that for you.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Apple needs to look into this. Ever where you look these days parents are giving their phones and iPads to their kids to keep them entertained.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
OK,

So here's what I'm looking for. I'm looking for an easy way to turn off the following features of the iPhone on a temporary basis.

1. Turn off In-App Purchases
  2. Turn off iTunes Store
  3. Turn off Celluar Data
  4. Do not allow deleting of Photos, videos, messages, contacts, apps, etc.
  5. Restrict certain folders that have games that are MINE, but don't trigger the 13 rating
  6. Be flexible enough to allow my older kids a less restrictive setting list
Turn off iTunes Store

Right now, I use Restrictions in the Settings menu, but my kid is still able to delete things and can get into some of my games (RealRacing3 and Temple Run). I don't want him to spend my gold or gems by mistake.

Also, when I turn off restrictions, my icons get all jumbled up.

Thanks.

In the meantime, you can use "Guided Access" under Accessibility to restrict to any one open app and let your kid enjoy :)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Thanks for the comments. I'm most worried about my little guy accidentally deleting photos. Especially since there's no trash can that you can grab photos back from.

The guided access thing won't work since it locks him in to just one app.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
You could put these apps in a folder and call it something ambiguous to throw him off, bury it in the middle of apps he wouldn't care about, but, I don't see a way of locking your photos, not with the built-in app.

You might also want to turn off "Deleting Apps" under Restrictions, so apps aren't accidentally deleted.

You may already do this, but you can easily turn off cell data: Settings>Cellular Data-OFF

As far as your photos go, maybe do a sync before handing it to the kids. It seems like it'd be easy enough to prevent photos from being deleted, you can set it to prevent deleting apps, but, just not there. Perhaps an app such as a photo vault would be helpful?: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/private-photo-vault-ultimate/id417571834?mt=8

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States

Thanks.
You're not, this is especially a problem for families with 1 iPad or someone like you where you have things for your kids on your iPhone, but need to restrict access just to prevent accidents, for personal or business use.

I have submitted feedback to Apple and provided a link to this thread also, but, the more feedback, the more likely they will listen (especially if it is constructive criticism):
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Thanks for the comments. I'm most worried about my little guy accidentally deleting photos. Especially since there's no trash can that you can grab photos back from.

The guided access thing won't work since it locks him in to just one app.

In the earlier iOS 7 betas there was a setting in restrictions that prevented the deletion of photos. It was great. My 2 year old loves to look through the camera roll and that provided peace of mind she wasn't accidentally deleting any of them. I have no idea why this was removed from the final release.

Now I have a Synology NAS that automatically uploads the camera roll so it's not a real concern anymore. But it would still be nice to see Apple add it back.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
You could put these apps in a folder and call it something ambiguous to throw him off, bury it in the middle of apps he wouldn't care about, but, I don't see a way of locking your photos, not with the built-in app.

You might also want to turn off "Deleting Apps" under Restrictions, so apps aren't accidentally deleted.

You may already do this, but you can easily turn off cell data: Settings>Cellular Data-OFF

As far as your photos go, maybe do a sync before handing it to the kids. It seems like it'd be easy enough to prevent photos from being deleted, you can set it to prevent deleting apps, but, just not there. Perhaps an app such as a photo vault would be helpful?: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/private-photo-vault-ultimate/id417571834?mt=8
The folder idea won't work as he's only 3 and doesn't really read yet. He can go through the folders by looking at the icons. He recognizes the icon for Temple Run even when is super tiny. He knows that he's not allowed to play them, but like all kids, they don't always follow the rules.

I really do need to back up my photos more often ... that's for sure. But it's not always convenient to sync to iPhoto. Often times, he'll play with my iPhone when I have him and the girls at soccer. Usually, I give him a soccer ball and he's happy, but sometimes, he's bored and wants a little Toca Toca or Thomas.

I'll have to take a look at the Photo Vault. Maybe it's just the right thing.

You're not, this is especially a problem for families with 1 iPad or someone like you where you have things for your kids on your iPhone, but need to restrict access just to prevent accidents, for personal or business use.

I have submitted feedback to Apple and provided a link to this thread also, but, the more feedback, the more likely they will listen (especially if it is constructive criticism):
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Will do.

nancyfromafrica

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Johannesburg
Here are answer to your 1st three questions
Code:
http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonehowtos/qt/Turn-Off-In-App-Purchases-Iphone.htm
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3532544?start=0&tstart=0
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4984440?start=0&tstart=0

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Nancy,

Thanks for the reply. I already do these before I hand my phone to my little guy. My desire is a simple way to do all of this, plus the others items.

Looks like the last couple of items aren't achievable, yet? Can only hope, until then, I have to do it the hard way.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
The folder idea won't work as he's only 3 and doesn't really read yet. He can go through the folders by looking at the icons. He recognizes the icon for Temple Run even when is super tiny. He knows that he's not allowed to play them, but like all kids, they don't always follow the rules.

I really do need to back up my photos more often ... that's for sure. But it's not always convenient to sync to iPhoto. Often times, he'll play with my iPhone when I have him and the girls at soccer. Usually, I give him a soccer ball and he's happy, but sometimes, he's bored and wants a little Toca Toca or Thomas.

I'll have to take a look at the Photo Vault. Maybe it's just the right thing.

Will do.
I figured you'd say that about the icons...the disadvantage of retina display, lol.

What I mean about syncing your iPhone is this: it's always a good idea to do a itunes or wifi sync with your iphone before handing off to your kids, then you have a backup in case something really gets messed up. Check this out to be sure you are getting proper backups: http://www.macworld.com/article/2046747/bugs-and-fixes-back-up-to-avoid-iphone-disasters.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.