Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Heading into the holidays, many app developers will be moving to offer discounts to encourage both new and existing device owners to adopt their apps, but the new App Santa promotion launching today involves an organized effort by a number of particularly high-profile iOS app developers to offer discounts of up to 60 percent.

app_santa.jpg
Apps involved in the App Santa promotion include:

- Day One ($2.99, down from $4.99): Journal/diary app [Direct Link]

- Launch Center Pro ($2.99, down from $4.99): App and action launcher [Direct Link]

- Mileage Log+ ($4.99, down from $9.99): Mileage tracker useful for tax deductions or reimbursement [Direct Link]

- Scanner Pro ($2.99, down from $6.99): Scan documents using iOS device camera [Direct Link]

- PCalc ($6.99, down from $9.99): Scientific calculator [Direct Link]

- Screens VNC ($14.99, down from $19.99): Remote desktop access [Direct Link]

- Clear+ ($1.99, down from $4.99): Clean and simple to-do lists [Direct Link]

- Calendars 5 ($2.99, down from $6.99): Calendar app with natural language input [Direct Link]

- 1Password ($9.99, down from $17.99): Secure password management [Direct Link]

- Perfect Weather ($1.99, down from $2.99): Colorful and clean weather app with maps and forecasts [Direct Link]

- Printer Pro ($2.99, down from $6.99): iPad app for wireless printing [Direct Link]

- Delivery Status ($2.99, down from $4.99): Track packages from over 30 services [Direct Link]

- Vesper ($2.99, down from $4.99): Note-taking, to-dos, and more [Direct Link]

- Tweetbot ($1.99, down from $4.99): Popular Twitter client for iPhone [Direct Link]

- PDF Converter ($2.99, down from $6.99): iPad app converts various file types to PDF [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'App Santa' Brings Discounts of Up to 60% on 15 Top iOS Apps

- Day One: picked up when free

- Launch Center Pro: just purchased (app shopper notified me). Been meaning to try for a while.

- Mileage Log: pass

- Scanner Pro: I already have a scanner app

- PCalc: pass

- Screens VNC: pass

- Clear+: I may own this already.. I picked up the original one, but I think this is the non-free updated version? Either way, I'm not really impressed with it. A novel idea, but no thanks.

- Calendars 5: I have FantastiCal

- 1Password: own it

- Perfect Weather: own it

- Printer Pro: pass

- Delivery Status: pass

- Vesper: I'm considering giving this a try... any opinions?

- Tweetbot: own it

- PDF Converter: pass

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Time to put 1Password on the iPhone. Have it on all my Mac's, so why not.

There you go :)

We also have the Mac application on a promotion right now for anyone who doesn't already have it. Part of our "holy cow, we just won a Macworld Eddy award and a Mac App Store Best of 2013 promotion."

I'll try to monitor this thread for any questions but if I don't respond today please send a PM and I'll get to you.

procrastinasn

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010

We also have the Mac application on a promotion right now for anyone who doesn't already have it. Part of our "holy cow, we just won a Macworld Eddy award and a Mac App Store Best of 2013 promotion."

I'll try to monitor this thread for any questions but if I don't respond today please send a PM and I'll get to you.

Why isn't the keyboard for 1 Password updated for iOS 7?

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Why isn't the keyboard for 1 Password updated for iOS 7?

We're working on updating for iOS 7. The timing simply didn't work out in our favor this year.

We were hard at work, heads down on the Mac release (a complete rewrite, 2-3 years in the making) and about to release when iOS 7 came out. We just didn't have the resources to do both at the same time.

A future (free) update will give you the keyboard you desire. Keep your eyes peeled.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
- Vesper: I'm considering giving this a try... any opinions?
Haven't used it but I have looked into it. Must admit that I don't quite get it; not sure what the advantages are vs. any of the other cheaper solutions out there.

Simplenote is just as clean and simple, is free, and includes tagging and multi-platform sync.

Drafts is a bare bones mobile-only notes app with the ability to share to anything and everything. Makes a fantastic kick off point for generating content that can become anything (calendar event, message, email, tweet, reminder, etc.).

Evernote if you're looking for something with every feature under the sun.

rowdy268

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2005
New Mexico
1Password

I'm assuming to get the best use of 1password, I need to purchase the Mac App and the iPhone app?

I've been wanting this for a while. Just trying to decide if it's worth the price.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
I'm assuming to get the best use of 1password, I need to purchase the Mac App and the iPhone app?

I've been wanting this for a while. Just trying to decide if it's worth the price.

Best use, ya, probably worth it.

The goal is to set strong unique passwords up for your sites. So, if you don't have it on the other devices you use it can be a bit tricky to get into sites without typing in a 30 character long password.

I used 1Password for about 2 years prior to getting a job working with the team at AgileBits. So, when I say this I say it as a user of the software just as much as a member of the company. It's totally worth it.

Every time some site says they get compromised and I'm a user, I just go and change that one site's password (such as MacRumors here when they had their account information stolen). All my other sites used different passwords so I only ever changed that one password, not the hundreds of others I have.

If you have questions please let me know though! I'll be happy to help however I can.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Best use, ya, probably worth it.

The goal is to set strong unique passwords up for your sites. So, if you don't have it on the other devices you use it can be a bit tricky to get into sites without typing in a 30 character long password.

I used 1Password for about 2 years prior to getting a job working with the team at AgileBits. So, when I say this I say it as a user of the software just as much as a member of the company. It's totally worth it.

Every time some site says they get compromised and I'm a user, I just go and change that one site's password (such as MacRumors here when they had their account information stolen). All my other sites used different passwords so I only ever changed that one password, not the hundreds of others I have.

If you have questions please let me know though! I'll be happy to help however I can.

1Password is great software I own the latest version for iOS and have the previous version on my Mac.

The only downfall I see is that it can get expensive with all the updates and different clients for different platforms. I would have to purchase 1Password for my Mac, iOS devices, and my work pc for it to fully integrate into my lifestyle and this doesn't take into account the Major Updates to the clients which will cost some more to upgrade to the latest version. I have looked into other programs to substitute similar functionality but just cant make a jump to any other considering that 1Password has served me well so far.

But if you have the money and want peace of mind 1Password is great.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
1Password is great software I own the latest version for iOS and have the previous version on my Mac.

The only downfall I see is that it can get expensive with all the updates and different clients for different platforms. I would have to purchase 1Password for my Mac, iOS devices, and my work pc for it to fully integrate into my lifestyle and this doesn't take into account the Major Updates to the clients which will cost some more to upgrade to the latest version. I have looked into other programs to substitute similar functionality but just cant make a jump to any other considering that 1Password has served me well so far.

But if you have the money and want peace of mind 1Password is great.

I can understand how it may seem expensive up front. But we don't issue paid upgrades all that quickly.

For the Mac, the last paid upgrade was in November of 2009. So, 2009 to 2013, that's 4 years of no upgrade fees for those who purchased version 3 when it was released.

For iOS, we originally released 1Password when the App Store launched (shortly after) and our version 1 users got all the way through version 3 before we made version 4 a new app.

So, in our history we've had 3 paid upgrades:

November 2009 - 1Password 2 to 3 (Mac)
December 2012 - 1Password 1-3 to 4 (iOS)
October 2013 - 1Password 3 to 4 (Mac)

Will future updates be like this? No clue, this is just simply how it worked in the past. But I think it should give some indicator that the big cost is mostly up front and not a recurring thing.

We really try to be fair. 1Password 3 for Mac users get an upgrade to version 4 for free if they purchased in 2013 (that's like 9 months of purchases in 2013 that we upgraded for free). We also reduced the price of 1Password 4 for iOS for over a month to let 1Password 3 users upgrade at a reduced cost.

I'm really proud of the efforts we made to try to help our users get upgraded as quickly, easily and cheaply as possible while still trying to make sure we're able to keep the lights on and groceries in the fridge. We love our users and I just hope it shows.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I can understand how it may seem expensive up front. But we don't issue paid upgrades all that quickly.

For the Mac, the last paid upgrade was in November of 2009. So, 2009 to 2013, that's 4 years of no upgrade fees for those who purchased version 3 when it was released.

For iOS, we originally released 1Password when the App Store launched (shortly after) and our version 1 users got all the way through version 3 before we made version 4 a new app.

So, in our history we've had 3 paid upgrades:

November 2009 - 1Password 2 to 3 (Mac)
December 2012 - 1Password 1-3 to 4 (iOS)
October 2013 - 1Password 3 to 4 (Mac)

Will future updates be like this? No clue, this is just simply how it worked in the past. But I think it should give some indicator that the big cost is mostly up front and not a recurring thing.

We really try to be fair. 1Password 3 for Mac users get an upgrade to version 4 for free if they purchased in 2013 (that's like 9 months of purchases in 2013 that we upgraded for free). We also reduced the price of 1Password 4 for iOS for over a month to let 1Password 3 users upgrade at a reduced cost.

I'm really proud of the efforts we made to try to help our users get upgraded as quickly, easily and cheaply as possible while still trying to make sure we're able to keep the lights on and groceries in the fridge. We love our users and I just hope it shows.

I understand and sorry if it came off as a complaint. I think you guys do great work. I was just stating that for my case. Not everyone will need all 3 clients.

I have not upgraded to 1Password 4 for the Mac. What are the major differences that I can expect to see if I decide to upgrade? also can it only be purchased through the Mac AppStore?

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
I understand and sorry if it came off as a complaint. I think you guys do great work. I was just stating that for my case. Not everyone will need all 3 clients.

I have not upgraded to 1Password 4 for the Mac. What are the major differences that I can expect to see if I decide to upgrade? also can it only be purchased through the Mac AppStore?

I didn't take it as a complaint at all. I just wanted to cover the bases is all :) No need to apologize.

We have a What's New page for the Mac, here:

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/whats-new.html

It's a pretty big upgrade!

A couple of the standouts: Multiple vaults (coming to iOS in a future update), Custom Sections and Fields and for many people accessibility improvements and localization.

It is available from both our website ($24.99, single user, for existing customers via our upgrade page: http://www.agilebits.com/store/upgrade) and also on the Mac App Store. Both are on sale for new users as well.

The $24.99 price is a limited time upgrade price for existing users. Not sure when it'll end but we're giving users appropriate time to upgrade. It's been a bit over 2 months now so we're getting there.

Last edited:

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Any word on when full icloud sync will be available in 1password?

We've had iCloud support on iOS since December 13, 2012, the day we released the app.

We added iCloud support for the Mac App Store version of 1Password 4 on October 4, 2013 when we released the app.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

Thanks Kyle. I would recommend this app to anyone considering it. Has provided me with some confidence at keeping my passwords safe and does a nice job of syncing between my devices.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Broke down and bought Delivery Status since Posted has not been updated and has started to run funky and the dev of that app stopped replying to people.

Will enjoy having to only type deliveries in only one place and sync w/ the other / mac and iPhone. :cool:

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
We're working on updating for iOS 7. The timing simply didn't work out in our favor this year.

We were hard at work, heads down on the Mac release (a complete rewrite, 2-3 years in the making) and about to release when iOS 7 came out. We just didn't have the resources to do both at the same time.

A future (free) update will give you the keyboard you desire. Keep your eyes peeled.
your website says that you have 30 days money back guarantee. does this apply to both the ios and the desktop versions and how do you actually do it if people buy from the app store?

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
1Password is flat-out awesome. I was skeptical, but after the MacRumors 'incident', I decided to give it a shot with the free demo.

I love it! I now own both the iOS and OS X versions.

By all means update the keyboard and the list view, but for the love of god, keep the vault theme! There's absolutely no need to go all-out against skeuomorphism. A little skeuomorphism is OKAY, mmkay? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.