Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DYER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
Here my problem, I beg one of you to help me, I'm at the end of my tether.

I have a iPhone 6 Plus 64GB. I updated to 9.1 and since then I can't download or update apps, use apple music or backup to iCloud. It's a total nightmare.

Things I have tried to fix it so far
  • Wipe and restore via iCloud
  • Wipe and restore via iTunes
  • Log out of App store and back in (logging back in did not work until I restarted the phone via hard two button reset and the prompt came up, logging in via the App Store in general settings never seemed to work)
  • Log out of iCloud and back in
I have no idea why this is happening, any help will be appreciated no end!

DYER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
Ok, I shall try a slightly different question, does anyone know if this is a known issue that other people are coming up against?

DYER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
Well, just an update, Apple replaced my iPad AND iPhone, and erm, after backing up, the problem is still here.

Can't download or update apps, can't login to Apple Music, no iCloud backups :(

countzero2k10

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Alabama
This is happening with my GF's iPhone as well. Not sure what happened with 9.1 but for some reason her Apple ID is not communicating correctly to the App store, iTunes, Music, etc. Also cannot backup to iCloud. There does not seem to be any issues with her ID on her Macbook, only on her iPhone.

Here are the steps I've taken so far:

Reset network settings = no go.
Reset all settings = no go.
Erase phone and set up as new with her existing Apple ID = no go. I can sign in with it but I cannot install anything.
Erase phone again and set up as new with new Apple ID = WORKS! WTF?

So it's possible to get all her apps and purchases by adding her two IDs to a family but that won't help her recover her playlists in Apple Music, her game saves, iMessages, or contacts.

I've called Apple support and talked at length with two different senior reps and they have been working back and forth with their engineering team. Latest update from them they asked for diagnostic data from the phone but I cannot seem to retrieve it because an iTunes sync never completes...ugh!

FYI - There are others with this issue as well. Here are some links to some discussion pages.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7301911?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7299239?start=0&tstart=0

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I had this problem a few weeks ago where my apps downloaded terribly slow. I'm talking like a half hour for a 40mb app. And my Apple Music kept starting and stopping. This was all over wifi. But I had plenty of speed as usual and everything else worked fine. I began scouring the Internet for solutions and tried different things with my router and nothing worked! I gave up and after a day or so everything just started working again!

I think sometimes apples servers have hiccups and screw over some random users or a huge chunk of Apple ID's and there really is nothing anyone can do about it till they magically fix it or it fixes it itself! So really you are beating your head against a wall and really you can only wait till it fixes it itself! That's my experience with this!

countzero2k10

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Alabama
Well it's been like this for two weeks now so I don't expect it will magically fix itself. It's not a matter of apps loading slow, they don't load at all with her existing apple ID.

DYER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
I realise I'm reviving and ANCIENT threat. However the fix for me in the end was that I went through all levels of Apple support until I had a guy in Cupertino who was an iCloud engineer look into it for me.

In the end his solution was to literally replace my iPhone and iPad and do fresh installs. So not much of a solution, but thinks worked again after.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.