Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomccabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I have to say, I didn't expect the quality of these apps. MLB one is insane. Myspace app is light years ahead of the mobile site. Monkey Ball...don't even get me started.

Every one of the 44 apps i have downloaded are AWESOME. This phone just made a huge, huge step. Apple just made PERSONALIZATION a new selling point of the iPhone. Look at all the specialized apps there are (medical, engineering, crazy stuff), with thousands more on the way in the next year. The key feature will be that it works for you, the guy down the block and the guy across the world, but in DIFFERENT ways. Apple just blew the kiss of death to the stock-feature smartphone. I honestly didn't think this would be as big of a deal as it is :D

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
so youve spent more than a few bucks already i presume?
this appstore is gonna make me broke, i swear
$15 for tetris......but its TETRIS
how can i not get it?

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
I absolutely agree.

This, my friends, is the start of something HUGE.

The initial quality of these apps, it seems, are stunning.

R-Fly

so true
you could make a phone that literally QUADRUPLES the hardware specs of the iPhone
but the appstore will still blow it out of the water
Apple has recaptured the throne of best phone manufacturer that lots of biased press had taken away (htc touch diamond is the future of cell phones my a**)

BabyGotMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2007
I have to agree. I was thinking I would be hesitant to lose my jailbroken functionality, but aside from themes I don't see much I will miss, besides iSlots.

I am also impressed with how many free apps there are - pleasantly plump the app store is!

tomccabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
how can i not get it?

I spent only $20 (monkey ball was $10). A lot of good apps are .99 and most are $5 or under. The selection is amazing. For $20 I feel like I just got a $1000 phone. It's an ENTIRELY different device now.

Asar

macrumors regular
May 29, 2006
I have to agree. I was thinking I would be hesitant to lose my jailbroken functionality, but aside from themes I don't see much I will miss, besides iSlots.

I am also impressed with how many free apps there are - pleasantly plump the app store is!

actually, they have a slots app on the appstore :D

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I agree completely. I finally feel like I am utilizing the iPhone to its full potential. I mean, it was useful before this as an iPod/Phone/Browser, but now it is a tool that can be used for almost anything I want to use it for.

Good show Apple, good f*cking show: iPhone, you've come a long way, baby--it was a long, hard programming battle to transform the iPhone from a phone with benefits into a full-fledged mobile UNIX platform, but it was certainly worth it.

Now, if only I could find two Apps that I really miss from the JB days: Summerboard and Mobile Terminal. Do you think Apple will allow a terminal app or are they frowning on actual use of the iPhone OS underpinnings? I guess the first thing that would be needed is a BSD subsystem and a decent shell, like bash.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
I agree 10000% --- enjoy the ride boys it's gonna be great!

Now... let this sink in...

Developers have had less than 6 months (in most cases) to bring a project from "idea stage" to "GM release". Just imagine what we'll see when a developer has a year or more to develop an app....

Dave

tomccabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I agree 10000% --- enjoy the ride boys it's gonna be great!

Now... let this sink in...

Developers have had less than 6 months (in most cases) to bring a project from "idea stage" to "GM release". Just imagine what we'll see when a developer has a year or more to develop an app....

Dave

and add thousands of more developers that will surely get approved.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I agree and I don't even have an iPhone to test it on yet. I think I have said this 10 times, but EA needs to step up and give us Football and Racing. Need for Speed anyone??? I think Football (madden, etc) could be done on iPhone.

Now, if I can just get MobileMe working so I can check my darn email.....

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
It's great so far, one thing I wish they would add is just the total size of all of your apps on the bottom of your downloaded applications list.

TINCAN78

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
UK
Its fantastic only thing i miss is themes so far...... wonder if i will get them back or app store releases some ???

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I haven't tried them but the site looks great.

The way they are screening them might be a good idea and may save me some time and money.

The Newton had a fantastic developer base but there were quite a few alpha type apps, that although they were free(ish), they could be trivial and disrupting.

tomccabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I haven't tried them but the site looks great.

The way they are screening them might be a good idea and may save me some time and money.

The Newton had a fantastic developer base but there were quite a few alpha type apps, that although they were free(ish), they could be trivial and disrupting.

i think all the people who were calling for an open sdk now realize why that was/is/will be impossible. these aren't webapps folks and the games look better/on par with my DS.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I was expecting the AppStore to work well, its Apple after all. However, I am very shocked at the number of quality applications!

I was expecting like 30 applications at launch.

But, there are a bunch of duplicate applications that some are pay and some are free. Not sure how or if Apple will respond to this.

I also hope some developers re-think their pricing. Sorry, but $15 for Tetris isn't going to happen. They are on crack thinking that's a proper value for it.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
how can i not get it?

hehe - felt the same way when i heard a openware version of Worms is coming to iPhone! :D Multiplayer worms (they're more like hedgehogs in the app) oh yeah

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.