Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
For the past months the App Store shows rows and rows of blank icons on the updates tab until you scroll through them then they seem to regenerate again.

Happens to me and all my mates.

Frustrating that it's been going on for so long and Apple haven't fixed it.

Reactions: S G

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, been going on for probably longer than a month now, and shows up in iOS 8 and 9. Most likely some sort of a server-side glitch with the App Store that hasn't been addressed for some reason yet.

alldat

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Just noticed this but app icons aren't showing up on my 6s running 9.0.1. It seems to only happen to the stock apple apps, but not all of them which is weird.
I would hate to restore again since my sync is just about done and takes hours because of how many songs and apps I have. Thanks for any help.

image.png

EthanLMT

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2015
That used to happen on the beta on my 5s, I just ignored it until a new beta came out. Already reported it. No problem with it on the 6s yet tho(in my experience)

alldat

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Looks like it's fixed now? I finally restarted the phone since I left it alone to sync overnight and all the icons seem to be showing up.

Montag451

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Looks like it's fixed now? I finally restarted the phone since I left it alone to sync overnight and all the icons seem to be showing up.

Glad you got it resolved. Unfortunately, restarting hasn't worked for me. I tried a restore, but the issue persists.
It doesn't sound like this is a very widespread issue. I posted the topic on Apple's discussion board can no one else has reported similar issues.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
I'm having the exact same issue. iPhone 6S - iOS 9.0.1. As indicated, appears to only happen to the built-in 1st party Apple Apps. Biggest offenders are Mail, App Store, Settings, maybe a few others.

I initially did a Home Screen Reset. That fixed it. But then the problem returned. Restarted the phone and the problem went away, but now a few days it has come back again.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
I reset all settings on the phone and all was good until I had to turn off and on the phone again. Problem restarted immediately. Anyone have any ideas?

Thomi2

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
If you're having too much issues like these, you can hold down power and the home button at the same time until the phone restarts itself.
It's usually better than a restart.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
I've of course tried the hard reset (holding down power and home button) and it's not helping. Is there anywhere else in the settings that I could reset the index? The suggesting that iOS needs to re-index the icons makes perfect sense. It's just not happening. Also, force quiting and restarting the apps does not help.

Thomi2

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
I've of course tried the hard reset (holding down power and home button) and it's not helping. Is there anywhere else in the settings that I could reset the index? The suggesting that iOS needs to re-index the icons makes perfect sense. It's just not happening. Also, force quiting and restarting the apps does not help.

There's no such option in iOS as this problem is not supposed to happen.
It may be due to an iOS bug specific to this version, although as it does not concern everyone, it doesn't look much plausible.
You may just ignore this unaesthetic stuff for the moment. Normally, restarting the iPhone would automatically reset things up.
It's just like taking a good coffee after a very short night.
As mariusignorello mentioned it, the re-indexing would be okay after a restart.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Still having this problem. Nothing seems to fix it. Looks like depending on a restart of the phone, only certain icons will fall into the blank icon set and those icons will persist to be the blank icons in the app switcher, regardless of me force-quitting those apps, until I restart again, and then it's a different set of app icons that are blank.

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
This has happened to me since the betas. On my 5s, Mini 2 and now 6s, closing all of the apps in the multi tasking view before restarting the phone fixes the icons.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
This has happened to me since the betas. On my 5s, Mini 2 and now 6s, closing all of the apps in the multi tasking view before restarting the phone fixes the icons.

Thanks. Yeah I noticed yesterday, after my post, that if I close out all the Apple apps in the app switcher prior to turning the phone off and then back on; seems to fix the issue. But I believe the fix is temporary, i.e. until the next restart, correct me if I'm wrong.

I wonder where the problem lies. Is it with the files on the phone, if so, I'm guessing it's in the backup too. Is it somehow in the iCloud account? Unlikely, but you never know.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Mine are missing in the App Store update area.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 231
  • image.png
    image.png
    330 KB · Views: 222

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
Happened to me also but only in past few days. Anyone experience any other graphical quirks within app?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Fixed? It's been happening for almost a year!
Fairly certain that while it's been happening for a number of months, it has maybe been about half a year at best, if even that (given that it only showed up around iOS 8.4 and maybe maybe 8.3).

That said, it seems that "should be fixed" was said not in a form of a statement implying that it's fixed, but more of in a commanding form as in it's something that Apple should fix.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's only started happening to me since yesterday. So it's not something that "has" been around for everyone for six months. No doubt some have seen this happen to them for a long time, but it's only been one day on any of my devices.

Definitely an App Store server thing and not an iOS thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.