App store for Leopard / Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by iansilv, May 16, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2007
    So waht is preventing Apple from expanding the app store to have a version that works on the mac os desktop and serves mac applications?
  2. macrumors 68000

Nov 3, 2007

Which can also be accessed from the blue (not black) apple and choosing 'Mac OS X Software...'
  3. macrumors 68000

Jan 27, 2007
    While the iPhone is a closed system and Apple must control the quality and content of apps they release (almost got through that without laughing), OS x is not a closed system. Apple would never want the overhead required with being a middleman for every Mac application. Also, after 30 years of an open system, why would developers suddenly consent to a system where Apple takes 30% of their profits? The iphone is just a different type of environment than the Mac, so the App store model isn't as appealing there.
  4. macrumors 6502

Jul 8, 2007
    Oshawa, ON
    Confused little German here....

My apple is black, and I still have the option "Mac OS X Software". :p
  5. macrumors 68000

Nov 3, 2007
    Sorry, that was supposed to read "now black"
  6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't understand the point you are trying to make.
  7. macrumors 68000

Nov 3, 2007
    That there already is a centralized location (provided by Apple) to find Mac Software.
  8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2007
    Well sure- and there are dozens of shareware and download websites out there. But I am talking about the app store where updates can be submitted and applied, purchased licenses can be stored, etc. As in- the app store. Not a page to just download programs.
  9. Guest

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
    Sounds like a great idea. Apple control new apps/updates/release schedule and you can't sell software you don't want as the license is through your iTunes account.
  10. macrumors newbie

May 6, 2009
    I dread an AppStore for Mac apps! Though it may SEEM simple for the consumer, I really don't think that environment would be appreciated on the Mac.
  11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2007
  12. macrumors newbie

May 19, 2009
    I was thinking about this very same thing the other day. It would be cool, but as an alternative, not the only way to sell apps.