Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abcd1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Hello, i have application, that i want to submit to app store. This application uses another application as child-process. Where should i put my second application in the bandle?
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#releasenotes/General/SubmittingToMacAppStore/_index.html
I read here about helper application. But is it my case? Should it be full application bundle, stored inside the main application bundle in the Contents/Library/LoginItems directory? Or it can be just executable file in the /Resourse/ or /MacOS/ directory of my main bundle?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Hello, i have application, that i want to submit to app store. This application uses another application as child-process. Where should i put my second application in the bandle?
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#releasenotes/General/SubmittingToMacAppStore/_index.html
I read here about helper application. But is it my case? Should it be full application bundle, stored inside the main application bundle in the Contents/Library/LoginItems directory? Or it can be just executable file in the /Resourse/ or /MacOS/ directory of my main bundle?
Normally, embedded helper applications go in Contents/Resources, regardless of whether they are raw executables or bundles.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

You are mentioning "LoginItems". If you want to add to the user's LoginItems directory, forget it.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I read here about helper application. But is it my case? Should it be full application bundle, stored inside the main application bundle in the Contents/Library/LoginItems directory?

AFAIK, you can only use the SMLoginItemSetEnabled() API to install a login item if your app is going to be sandboxed, and that function requires it to be in the Contents/Library/LoginItems folder in your .app.

See /System/Library/Frameworks/ServiceManagement.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SMLoginItem.h

Normally, embedded helper applications go in Contents/Resources, regardless of whether they are raw executables or bundles.

Code signing + MAS submission gets fussy if you do this, so if you've got a non-login item app it should go outside of Contents/Resources - I've been using Contents/Helpers.

abcd1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
wrldwzrd89, gnasher729, kainjow, thanks for your answers, i'll put my helpers to /contents/helpers

abcd1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
I'm sorry, but i'm here again...
I put helper (it is bundle) to /contents/helpers.
and productbuild says to me:
"No package identifier specified and not exactly one component to derive it from"
If i remove helpers, productbuild makes pkg succesfully.

productbuild --component "/users/me/myapp.app" /Applications --sign "3rd Party Mac Developer Installer" "/users/me/myapp.pkg"

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.