app store + helper program

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by abcd1, Dec 28, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2011
    Hello, i have application, that i want to submit to app store. This application uses another application as child-process. Where should i put my second application in the bandle?
    I read here about helper application. But is it my case? Should it be full application bundle, stored inside the main application bundle in the Contents/Library/LoginItems directory? Or it can be just executable file in the /Resourse/ or /MacOS/ directory of my main bundle?
  2. macrumors G4

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Normally, embedded helper applications go in Contents/Resources, regardless of whether they are raw executables or bundles.
  3. macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    You are mentioning "LoginItems". If you want to add to the user's LoginItems directory, forget it.
  4. Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    AFAIK, you can only use the SMLoginItemSetEnabled() API to install a login item if your app is going to be sandboxed, and that function requires it to be in the Contents/Library/LoginItems folder in your .app.

See /System/Library/Frameworks/ServiceManagement.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SMLoginItem.h

Code signing + MAS submission gets fussy if you do this, so if you've got a non-login item app it should go outside of Contents/Resources - I've been using Contents/Helpers.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2011
    wrldwzrd89, gnasher729, kainjow, thanks for your answers, i'll put my helpers to /contents/helpers
  6. abcd1, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2011
    I'm sorry, but i'm here again...
    I put helper (it is bundle) to /contents/helpers.
    and productbuild says to me:
    "No package identifier specified and not exactly one component to derive it from"
    If i remove helpers, productbuild makes pkg succesfully.

productbuild --component "/users/me/" /Applications --sign "3rd Party Mac Developer Installer" "/users/me/myapp.pkg"