App that converts text from Photos?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod touch Apps' started by NJMetsHero, Sep 7, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

I've seen this app somewhere before, but I can't find where I saw it. Does anyone know something that does this, I'd like to be able to take a picture of my notes and have them convert into text on my new iPod touch. Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 6502a

I don't know of one right now, but supposedly Google Goggles will be coming to iPhone soon (it has ORC capabilities, among other features).

3. macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Search the app store for JotNot Scanner or Scanner Pro. These will both do what you are asking.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks a lot.

5. macrumors newbie

You should also check out Prizmo. It does exactly what you want and its OCR capabilities are very impressive. It costs a bit more that the ususal app but it works brilliantly.

In fact whenever I want to show off my Iphone to friends, this is what I usually go for - quick photo of a page from a magazine and then instantly turned into editable text with about 90% accuracy.

It even has a translate function so you can theoretically take a photo of a restaurant menu in another langiage and then translate it to English!

Hope this helps!

6. dZp
    macrumors 6502a

There's also OCRKit that was just released.

7. macrumors regular

litchie

If you mean handwriting, there is no program can do it well at this moment.

But if you merely want to convert text in print (OCR), you can try this one: http://itunes.apple.com/app/page-scanner/id368331275?mt=8. It has a free lite version so you don't have to buy it if not satisfied.

By the way: The photo taken with iPod Touch is too poor to do any text recognition.