Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
From time to time I have used either Pages or iPhoto to create a simple catalog of selected photos from my iPhoto library with maybe 6 photos per page. This has become more tedious now that I have converted to Photos.

Is there a Mac App that will do this is a similar way to pages but with added features? That is, display albums from Photos, allow the user to select certain photos and create a page with multiple photos, with captions taken from Photos. Then output the page(s) as a PDF file.

Reactions: hulk2012

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Not sure what you're doing. But if you create a photo book in Photos you can save it as a pdf. I can't see any software being easier to use.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Create Book within Photos is designed for web publishing (it needs an internet connection to generate a project) and seems to be very limited in formatting/layout options.
I have tried Create Card - that is also very limited in formatting options, as is Print - Contact Sheet and Print - Custom.

My typical format is 6 photos with captions (titles) on a portrait A4 page. An ancient version of iPhoto was much better at this.

Pages will allow me to format the page correctly but the Photo (Media) insertion function does not have an option to add a caption, based on the title field in Photos so I have to copy/paste or retype all my captions.

An ideal app would have these steps
1. Select page size and orientation
2. Select number of photos per page
3. Select caption field
4. Open Media browser (Photos)
5. Select photos
6. Generate draft report
7. Allow tweaking of layout (resize photos, swap positions etc)
8. Save as PDF

One day I might get back into programming and try this myself. In the meantime I thought I would check if there are any suitable apps already available.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Yup I did the save as PDF in an older version of iPhoto. Now where ever I'm printing from I can simply use the Print module to save as a PDF. You can do it in Adobe Lightroom.

The last time I used iPhoto I used the book app and then saved the page I wanted as a PDF>

You can try looking around Preview.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
ContactPage Pro has the features I want but it has a bug where metadata titles are confused with file names. The developers told me they are looking at this.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Ther is an Automator action that will create Contact Sheets from selected images. It does let you select page size, however it does not include names/captions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.