App to keep MacBook Air from going to sleep when lid is closed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rdunlap, Apr 11, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Hey, not sure if there anything out there yet for this sole purpose, but I'm looking for an app I can run to keep my MBA from going to sleep when I close the lid. I used caffeine but that doesn't seem to have the option to keep it awak when the lid is closed.

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To keep your Mac notebook awake with the lid closed, use InsomniaX or InsomniaT (rebuild for SL) (fix for 2011 MPBs)

NoSleep also keeps your Mac notebook awake when you close the lid.

3. macrumors regular

I use caffeine, really easy just 1 click that goes up in your status bar and you can set how long it stays on for

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... except Caffeine will not keep a Mac awake with the lid closed; it only works if it's open.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses guys. I just downloaded InsomniaX and it works great. I don't really need to use caffeine anymore either because it also does that function.

6. macrumors 65816

just out of curiosity, may i ask why you are doing this?
    if you're plugging it into to an external monitor, it should stay away.

7. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some people want to keep their Mac running with the lid closed when they're not connected to an external display.

8. thread starter macrumors member

Basically I'm a computer technician that is constantly on the run, and sometimes I maybe be in the middle of a file download or even streaming a movie through Airplay and I need to close the lid and this will help very much so.

9. macrumors 65816

hence my curiosity

10. macrumors 65816

it seems the technology has come a long way - my old inspiron was very finicky about going to sleep when i closed the lid and when it didn't, it would get crazy hot. obviously this isn't the case with the MBAs.

i really was just curious :)