App to record audio from OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by satans_banjo, May 19, 2006.

1. satans_banjo macrumors regular

Hi

Is there any kind of app that records the audio that is generated by the operating system? Or am I just going to have to record it through the built-in microphone and the speakers?

Thanks

Satans Banjo

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Do you mean something like Audio Hijack Pro? It can be found here.

3. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

See if Audio Hijack will do what you want.

EDIT: gauchogolfer beat me! :D

4. satans_banjo thread starter macrumors regular

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm usually the one who gets scooped, so I'm happy to turn the tables on someone :).

To the OP, you can get either the Pro or regular versions, I think that they both might fit your needs.

6. howesey macrumors 6502a

7. nplima macrumors 6502a

freebie

I've used Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features) under windows only and it can select the source of sound to be recorded, including a "software intercept" of whatever is going to the speakers.

I'm not 100% sure if this works thanks to the the sound drivers that go with the OS, but even if this is not perfect at least you got another suggestion for an audio editing program. this one is free free of charge and licensed under the GPL.

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Ya, go with Wiretap.

It's super simple.

Audio Hijack is great, but it may be more than you need.

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you use Soundflower, you can set it as another set of virtual speakers, so individual apps can send their audio to it. You can also set it as the default speakers, so everything including the system will send its audio to it. Then, all you need is GarageBand, Audacity or any other audio recording software, as long as you set "Soundflower" as the input on the recording program.

10. Dreamkatcha macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

It took me ages to suss out all the different methods of converting Real Audio streams and the pros and cons of each, which is why I jotted them down in this blog entry for future reference.

Hope it helps.

Damn. I meant to post this here, though I suppose it applies to this thread too.

11. goormart macrumors newbie

I have a question about audio Hijack. Does the program download the audio data, or does it record it? I mean, when there is a hickup in the streaming of for example a Real Audio broadcast, is that recorded too?

thanks

M.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Another vote for Wiretap.

And I think there's a free version of that app, and one that you pay for. Try to get an old version that's free. It's the same.

13. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Another definite vote for WireTap. The current free/trial version has a background sort of 'watermark' drum-beat that only gets stripped away when it has been paid for.

14. Dreamkatcha macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

Nope, it's not that clever unfortunately. It initiates playback through another application i.e. Real Player and then taps into the stream so it can be recorded just like WireTap or iRecordMusic does.

It's not all bad though. If the audio cuts out while the stream is being buffered you can arrange for Audio Hijack to remove the silence from your recordings so you can hardle tell there has been a break. There's also an option to suppress errors generated by Real Player so that the recording can continue uninterrupted.

Before I enabled this feature a Real Player error stopped the recording in its tracks an hour and a half in. I got back to my computer and cursed at it because I thought I'd have to start again from scratch, but to my surprise I was able to resume the recording exactly where the hitch occurred by moving the playback slider to 1:30, pressing play and then pressing record in Audio Hijack. I didn't know Real Player allowed you to do this until now - whenever I've tried it in the past it would restart the stream from 0:00.

15. goormart macrumors newbie