App To Save Settings For External Monitor vs. Laptop?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xfiftyfour, Aug 4, 2006.

1. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Okay, so I don't know if this is possible at all, but here it is:

I have an external monitor for my MB, but my external is not a widescreen. So... I can't just "mirror" displays and be done with it. I don't like spanning across, so essentially what I've done is moved my finder over to the external, and I run it in the "spanning" mode, but don't use my main laptop monitor at all - I'm going to use SleepLess to run it with the lid closed.

My question, then, is there is a program that anyone knows of that will allow me to have like two "profiles" that I can load.. for instance, a set of settings (my icon size, position, desktop, etc) for when my external is not plugged in and another for when it is?

It's not imperative or anything.. as OS X already lets you designate separate desktops.. I just thought I'd ask so that I don't have to re-position everything when I take my laptop on the go.

Thanks!

2. reh macrumors 6502a

I don't quite follow... The feature you seem to be describing is already included in OS X. I use a widescreen display with my non-widescreen laptop and it's a pretty seamless change other than some weird window sizes.

3. xfiftyfour thread starter macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

sorry, i was pretty vague in the first post.. i don't think i'd quite figured out what i wanted the app to do.. BUT i think i basically narrowed it down to what i *really* wanted: an application that could save icon positions for different resolutions, which I found: desktility.

thanks anyway. :)