App to turn screen Black

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacFan782040, Oct 3, 2005.

1. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

I need an application that will turn my screen black when launched... and that's it. It can't be a saver module.

See, I love my screen saver of nature pics during the day, but when I try to go to sleep, the brightness keeps me up.

Any links where I can find this? Thanksss :D

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Slide show of some black jpegs? :confused:

Make a couple of them, put them in a folder, then for in screensaver stettings, select that folder? Or turn off your monitor? :confused:

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Why not just set it to put the display to sleep as opposed to running a screen saver?

The option to do this is in the "energy saver" preference pane.

[​IMG]

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

When I want to sleep with my PowerBook on in the room, I just turn the brightness on the display all the way down. The very lowest setting actually turns the backlight all the way off so the screen is completely dark. Of course you can also set Energy Saver to put the display to sleep, but you have to wait the delay period before it goes off. Turning the brightness down is immediate.

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Oh Geez!

I didn't even read that the poster had an iBook, I was thinking about recommending that, but didn't know what computer they had. I guess I should have read the signature ;) .

Good ketch mduser63!

[​IMG]

6. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

I know, lol. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. HOWEVER, I have not updated my sig yet and I just got a new iMac G5. Sorry about that. I used to be able to turn the brightness off all the way down on my iBook (which I did), but I can't do that on here. I have the screen to black out after liek 15 minutes, cause I do enjoy looking at my screensaver during the day, but at night I just want something that I can launch and it will go into "sleep" mode, although it won't actually be sleeping.... cause I like to leave my AIM on and stuff cause I'm a loser like that. Anyway, that is why I wanted an App and not a screen saver module, cause I would have to switch back and forth for which one I wanted.

I wish I could put my mouse in 1 corner of the screen for 1 saver, and another part for a "black" saver. However, I don't even know if this proposed "blackout" application would work, because the ss would just coem on anyway, right? It did when I had a black JPG open and set it at full screen in preview. So that didn't work...

Or is there something out there that will just let me bring my screen brightness to zero? That would work best. Thanks!

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

It's probably possible, but not with just regular a regular user level application. You would need an application that tinkers with the system settings. Even if it was possible, I wouldn't really recommend such an application that would tinker with the system as it is the most common way of getting in troubles with later OS updates.

How about just a script that changes your screen saver to a black one with just a double click? That should be possible.

Hmm ... did I just contradict myself :confused: Well, a script that doesn't do anything to the system that couldn't be done by the user is good, an app that does something the user shouldn't normally be able to do isn't, so I guess not.

8. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

It's cool. lol. I found an App. It's called Brightness control... and it works just like I wanted. Thanks!

9. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

Does Ctrl/Opt/Cmd/8 not do the trick? This is the keystroke to 'reverse' the screen as per the Universal Access preference pane.

10. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Depending on what's on the screen, it could be a problem, unless they had a full white background and everything else was minimized. It would almost be more work to prep for a black screen then it is worth.

[​IMG]