App to use iPad as a second screen? The catch: not using Wi-Fi (wired solution?)

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by davideotape, Nov 20, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

at home I have 2 screens set up in my workspace: my laptop and a larger external. when traveling i would LOVE to be able to bring my iPad and a latop with me and replicate the exact same workspace on a smaller scale, and not be beholden to being required to have the iPad and the MBP on the same network (or any network at all, preferably, to save $). don't want to use a wireless hotspot for that reason, too.

so is there a "wired" solution to this desire? anyone know of anything like this? seems impossible but i figured if anybody would know it's likely you people.

2. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

No wired solution for video I. On the iPad exists that I recall tho an airport express would solve the wifi issue for you.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

aaaahhhhh so an airport express as an internal network, yes, that should do nicely. for some reason i always attribute a wifi signal to needing an internet provider attached to it, but it doesn't necessarily need that, correct?

4. macrumors P6

dukebound85

You don't even need that. You can always make an ad hoc network with your mac where you then could have the iPad connect to for display purposes

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

6. macrumors P6

dukebound85