Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
Alright heres my dilema, new Mac and a missing Keynote disc, if you haven't caught on I want to know if its possible just to transfer the App from one applications folder and drop it in another without a hitch.
Thats the first bit, now is it possible to plug my PB into a G5 via FW 400/800 and mount the drives to do this copy over?

Lets here it

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
You could always try it... there may be permissions/preferences issues but give it a go.

Use firewire target disk mode as described here:

How to use FireWire target disk mode

Important: Unplug all other FireWire devices from both computers prior to using FireWire target disk mode. Do not plug in any FireWire devices until after you have disconnected the two computers from each other, or have stopped using target disk mode.

To use FireWire target disk mode
1. Make sure that the target computer is turned off. If you are using a PowerBook computer or iBook computer as the target computer, you should also plug in its AC power adapter.

2. Use a FireWire cable (6-pin to 6-pin) to connect the target computer to a host computer. The host computer does not need to be turned off.

3. Start up the target computer and immediately press and hold down the T key until the FireWire icon appears. The hard disk of the target computer should become available to the host computer and will likely appear on desktop.

4. When you are finished copying files, drag the target computer's hard disk icon to the Trash or select Put Away from the File menu (Mac OS 9) or Eject from the File menu (Mac OS X).

5. Press the target computer's power button to turn it off.

6. Unplug the FireWire cable.

If the target computer's hard disk does not become available to the host computer, check the cable connections and restart the host computer.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
do what s/he^ said.

Also make sure you any existing keynote folders located in Library/Application Support/Keynote. If you don't find anything there don't worry about it. Also do a repair permissions after you get the program.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Most OSX applications are completely self contained and do not actually require an installer. I would suspect Keynote is the same. As for transfering it I would not recommend Target disk mode due to ill experiences in which my Al15" Powerbook's hard drive got destroyed. Rather use ethernet networking or simply burn a CD.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
MacBandit said:
I would not recommend Target disk mode due to ill experiences in which my Al15" Powerbook's hard drive got destroyed. Rather use ethernet networking or simply burn a CD.

Care to elaborate on how your hard drive got destroyed? :confused:

MacBandit

macrumors 604
abrooks said:
Care to elaborate on how your hard drive got destroyed? :confused:

We had just received our 15"Al Powerbook after Apple's initial shipping delay after they were announced. I wanted to transfer a lot of data from my desktop to it and of course do it the fastest way possible. So I used Firewire Target disk mode and was careful to do it in the maner that they said to. Well after I was done I restarted the machine but it didn't start. I tried everything and it wouldn't power on. I took it to my local Apple store and they had to send it to Apple. They ended up replacing the motherboard and hard drive. I've since researched this a bit and apparently there is an issue with Firewire 400 in which the connectors themselves can cause a short or a disconnection while transfering and if you are in Target disk mode it can be fatal. I recommend getting a short run of Cat5e and instead using Gigabit Ethernet. It's faster and you don't have to worry about permissions.

dizzywizard

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2004
re : App Transfer and G5 Connection

MacBandit said:
As for transfering it I would not recommend Target disk mode due to ill experiences.......

jayzus the same thing has just happened me today. i have an old ibook g3 and a powerbook g4, and both got a bit of a shock at a gig i done last week. the ibook hasn't recovered yet but the powerbook came back for a bit and went etc etc.
so to cut to the point. i have been trying to target both comps to the my g5s (and others) in work to get my data off. it made the pb even worse, it wouldnt get past the startup screen. so i called apple with my acp and the standard checks didn't work. i was thinkin id have to send it back (again), but i gt the right info from the support site on apple.com

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

so i had to do the sbin/fsck and it worked. well everything seemed to be fine so i copied a file onto the server and rebooted. for some reason i decided to target the pb back to the g5 and get the data off anyway, just in case. but when i did, the disk didn't come up on the desktop. then the pb would restart again. while i was doing all this i was searchin the web and i found this thread. joined up. and decided to do the whole sbin/fsck again.
im back to square one and now it freezes on the progress bars. and then it shuts down after login. the computer has just gone crazy (and so have i!)

dizzywizard

more to follow...
IMG_2285.JPG

MacBandit

macrumors 604
dizzywizard said:
jayzus the same thing has just happened me today. i have an old ibook g3 and a powerbook g4, and both got a bit of a shock at a gig i done last week. the ibook hasn't recovered yet but the powerbook came back for a bit and went etc etc.
so to cut to the point. i have been trying to target both comps to the my g5s (and others) in work to get my data off. it made the pb even worse, it wouldnt get past the startup screen. so i called apple with my acp and the standard checks didn't work. i was thinkin id have to send it back (again), but i gt the right info from the support site on apple.com

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

so i had to do the sbin/fsck and it worked. well everything seemed to be fine so i copied a file onto the server and rebooted. for some reason i decided to target the pb back to the g5 and get the data off anyway, just in case. but when i did, the disk didn't come up on the desktop. then the pb would restart again. while i was doing all this i was searchin the web and i found this thread. joined up. and decided to do the whole sbin/fsck again.
im back to square one and now it freezes on the progress bars. and then it shuts down after login. the computer has just gone crazy (and so have i!)

dizzywizard

more to follow...

When I had my issue it wouldn't even turn on. So consider yourself lucky. I've talked to others about it since and no one I know that is well experienced with Target disk mode recommends it. The biggest reason they don't is that Gigabit is faster and is on all modern Macs also there is always the risk of hardware failure and disk corruption using Target disk..

dizzywizard

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2004
MacBandit said:
When I had my issue it wouldn't even turn on. So consider yourself lucky. I've talked to others about it since and no one I know that is well experienced with Target disk mode recommends it. The biggest reason they don't is that Gigabit is faster and is on all modern Macs also there is always the risk of hardware failure and disk corruption using Target disk..

i'll know not to be doing that again. its working again now (at random), but the firewire device is missing. i would have transfered the files originally over ethernet only i couldn't power up, hence using target mode.
there is a new app in testing that allows ip over firewire, i wonder would this fix this problem?
any ideas how i get it to recognise the firewire ext drive now?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
dizzywizard said:
i'll know not to be doing that again. its working again now (at random), but the firewire device is missing. i would have transfered the files originally over ethernet only i couldn't power up, hence using target mode.
there is a new app in testing that allows ip over firewire, i wonder would this fix this problem?
any ideas how i get it to recognise the firewire ext drive now?

I would think that IP over firewire would be safer. Can you boot from a CD?

grumbledook

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2004
Northants, UK
abrooks said:
Alright heres my dilema, new Mac and a missing Keynote disc, if you haven't caught on I want to know if its possible just to transfer the App from one applications folder and drop it in another without a hitch.
Thats the first bit, now is it possible to plug my PB into a G5 via FW 400/800 and mount the drives to do this copy over?

Lets here it

Sheesh ... turn my back for 5 minutes (or 2 months) and you are trying to "acquire" software ... Why didn't you just ask Matt? Or me?

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
grumbledook said:
Sheesh ... turn my back for 5 minutes (or 2 months) and you are trying to "acquire" software ... Why didn't you just ask Matt? Or me?

Meh, you got it all wrong, found the disc anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.