Apparent Finder malfunction

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Schiffi, May 23, 2003.

1. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

This happened once before, only with entirely different scenarios, both events ended up with me having to restart my PBookG4. The problem occurs only after having my mac on for like 8 hours. It happened before when I attempted open a folder and it happened today when I burned a cd. Restarting seems to fix it, but only temporarily. The pictured (shown) shows three Finders open (as well as an unresponsive Mozilla). Can someone please help me solve this problem?

EDIT: Found the .log if that helps

Attached Files:

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Schiffi

Umm, woah.

Could be due to the experienced memory leak that seems to be present in 10.2.6

The finder crashes, restarts, crashes again, and a third time. But the leak prevents the clearing of the previous Finder instances from RAM.

As for what could be causing the crashes, still thinking...

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

couldn't the fact that he has multiple finders open be the cause?

schiffi, if you can run the terminal when this happens, try opening it and punching in "sudo sh /etc/monthly" and then giving your password. this will rebuild some of your directories to clean them up and just generally clear out your RAM. i have a TiG4 and run it about once a week, because i never restart if i can help it, and my free RAM can get really low. running that script usually frees up half my RAM or a bit more. don't know if it will help this though--i am thinking no, but it's worth a shot.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

In case you don't know that is a kernel crash. If you are having these at all regularly I would suggest reinstalling the system.

How long has it been since you reinstalled? Have you performed numerous system updates since the last time. If so definitely reinstall. It's really not a big deal. Start up off of the install discs by holding the 'C' key down once there choose the restore installation option. Within that option there will be another option to copy over your system preferences. This will copy your users folders over and all there preferences etc.. Unless you have manually modified a netoworking file you will not have to redo anything. It will not affect any of your apps or any of your data all that will change is you will have a fresh system installed. Once you are done with the install run system update and run all the updates. After that finishes you will have to restart. You will then want to run system update again to finish all the updates.

Also to run the monthy, weekly, and daily system maintenance tasks I recommend MacJanitor.

Something else to do regularly also is to repair disk permissions. Here's information on disk permissions and the proper way of doing it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17722

The final thing to do occasionaly is to run the file system check at startup. To do this at startup hold 'apple-s' this will put you into Single User Mode. At the prompt type 'FSCK -Y'. Be sure to put that space in there before the '-Y'. This will run the file system check. The '-Y' option tells it to answer yes to all questions. Once it's done running run it again if it says it repaired anything. If it says that there was nothing to repair then type 'reboot'.

5. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

macbandit--i just ran the force-quit menu and noticed that i do in fact have the same affliction. i had three instances of finder. however, my system was running perfectly. moreover, running "/etc/monthly" as i recommended earlier in the thread fixed it--i went back to just one finder instance. are you sure this is a kernel crash? i've been up w/o restart for 5.7 days or so now.

6. Schiffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

I haven't had the problem yet. And my mac is relatively new, so I won't reinstall just yet. I've fond the Finder prefs and deleted them. I remembered that this happened just after removing the option to view drives on the desktop. I do run Macjanitor regularily. However, I'll try and wait until my extrnal HD (for backups) gets here before I go repairing things. It's only happened twice anyhow.

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

my option to view drives has always been on. this never used to happen to me, and i haven't touched my finder prefs in ages.

8. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

You didn't have three running. That's just a bug in force quit. Just a graphical thing, nothing more.

9. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

so it doesn't hurt anything? why did running the /etc/weekly make it work right?

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's just as well to wait to back up your data even though as I said before it will not affect any of it. Also I have from my personal experience of 5 new Apple computeres find that the OS that is installed on the computer from Apple to be unusually unstable and a prompt reinstall on the computer cures many many ailments.