Apparently this is how AT&T is tracking tethering

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nateDEEZY, May 9, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

Sourcehttp://www.redmondpie.com/how-att-tracks-unauthorized-tethering-on-your-jailbroken-iphone-and-how-to-hide-it-from-them/

2. macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

3. macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I dont know about mywi, but tetherme uses the phone APN for tethering. Even people who use the commcenter hack with a custom ipcc usually set it up to use the phone APN. So I'm pretty sure that's not how AT&T is tracking tethering. That is how they *used* to do it back in the days before smart phones though. (phone AP would use data from dataplan, while tethering APN would result in paying for every kb)

4. biohead, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

macrumors 6502

I know on O2's settings plist, there is a seperate APN set for tethering data to the standard one for mobile data (The standard APN is idata.o2.co.uk, and the tethering is modem.o2.co.uk - from Phil A.).

An easy work around is go into that plist, find the APN settings and delete all other entries apart from the standard mobile APN one... then change the typemask integer from 7 to 55 to enable tethering. You need the commcenter hack though.

[​IMG]

Working for me on O2, and my bill doesn't show the tethering APN ever making a connection, just idata.o2.co.uk.

5. macrumors 601

Phil A.

You are correct that O2 have a separate APN for tethering, but it's modem.o2.co.uk (mobile.o2.co.uk is the one for non-iphone smartphones). I have official tethering on my O2 contract and they do separate out the usage between the two APNs. If you have a tethering app that doesn't change the APN then you will get caught in very short order!

I'm pretty sure that AT&T use various methods to catch unauthorised tethering: the easiest one is the APN which will catch all the low hanging fruit, but I think they'll go for more complex methods once they've finished with that.

6. macrumors 603

Carlanga

not correct, seems like a ploy for people to buy a specific app.