Apple 03 profits soar 'by 550%'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Feb 19, 2004.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Large percentage--impressive. Yet this is really mainly because they made practically nothing in 2002. $137 million profit on $6.7 billion in sales is a pretty low margin--about 2 percent. But at least they're moving in the right direction!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

With news like this: "Apple experienced a 552 per cent jump in annual profits to $137 million, thanks to strong sales of its computers and the iPod," according to BusinessWeek.

There is certainly a good reason for Apple to let its customers share in this record. They should come out with faster products with lower prices.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

They have a 2 percent profit margin. How are they going to cut prices?

5. ratspg macrumors regular

good stuff... i dont want anyone else getting their profits.... iPod and iTMS hooked them up.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

In five years you'll be able to buy something at half the price that's twice as fast or more. Just wait a little.....:D

D

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I don't think so...

If I buy all of the same parts that the eMac is made out of and add the cost of building it I'm gonna come out a few hundred dollars cheaper then the apple-made one...

What did apple have the time before?
    .3 million?

550% increase... absurd.

8. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

You have to figure in labor, quality assurance, and software; at that point, you might save $150 or something by building your own eMac.

9. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.

I can make stout from a homebrew receipe and it'll cost about 10p a pint. But I'd still rather Guinness do all the work for me and pay the £2.60

I do totally agree with your sentiments, on both the savings from make-your-own and the absurdity of the %age increase. But it is my laziness to attempt DIY in these areas that goes someway to keep companies like Apple and Guinness in profit.

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

For all the people crying about this 550 percent increase, I think you're not understanding what this statistic means.

Let's suppose last year I was a beggar. I made $1,000. Now this year I "moved up" in the world and got a part-time job at McDonalds. I made $10,000! That's a 1,000 percent increase in pay! According to some of the posts on this thread, this increase means I must be rich. If all I did with that money was buy clothes and food for myself, and maybe "invest" in a better cardboard box to live in, people would say I was a no-good cheapskate. By this logic, the 1,000 percent increase in pay means I should become some kind of philanthropist.

Apple's situation is not much different from this hypothetical example. Their profits in 2002 were practically nonexistant. Last year they made $137 million--yes, it's a 550 percent increase, but for the size of the company, it's still a trivial amount. By comparison, the Bank of New York, with almost identical sales to Apple Computer, made over $900 million last year. Gillette made $1.2 billion.

Microsoft made $9.5 billion: with sales less than 4 times greater than Apple, they made almost 100 times as much profit. But guess what--Microsoft's profits only grew by 56 percent over the past two years. Are we to say that Microsoft is "poor" and Apple is "rich" because their profits grew more slowly than Apple?

Yes, it's good for Apple that their profits went up last year, and it's good that they are now debt free. But they have a long way to go to become a really solid company. These profit figures may seem impressive, but if Apple is to succeed, the truly impressive work is ahead of them.

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Okay...

Tack on What $129 for MacOs X...
    And... whatever iLife costs...

And whatever time I use...

Oh yes, 'quality support'.

Apples is a joke... 90 days... bite me apple.
    we need a frikken year support.