Apple 17" ADC CRT or new 17" LCD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iindigo, Mar 6, 2004.

1. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Hi!

I'm going to purchase a 2Ghz G5 in the near future. To me, $700 is WAY too much a monitor, at least for my budget. Are the 17" ADC CRTs Apple released in 2000 compare to the new 17 LCDs very well? If they do, that'd be great - I can find those for around $250.

Thanks!
    iindigo

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

17" CRT will outperform a 17 LCD in everything but people say its easier to look at LCD. The CRT has no dead pixels and is better for video and gaming and has a higher resolution. CRT still wins and is cheaper. Apple makes more money with LCDs so thats why they push em. I have a 3 year old 17" studio CRT display and its going strong.

3. clr900 macrumors regular

I also plan on getting a PowerMac as soon as Rev B is released and also think 700 is way too much but I've already decided to get a 19" Samsung CRT DynaFlat monitor. It is only 200 dollars and I have a Samsung TV which I like a lot.

4. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Hmmm... Is there anywhere I can buy one of these beautiful beasts besides eBaY?

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

6. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Well no offense, but I want my monitor to match my G5 :p I also want to take advantage of that fancy ADC connector...

7. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

Hey
    I have a dp g5 and an Apple Studio Display, my roomate in college has a apple ADC Crt and my 17 inch studio display looks as good, has a significantly bigger screen and takes up zero room. While you wont get any disagreements that $700 dollars is too much, i spent it and still have some reservations that i did, but the ADC is great and i think the current generation of studio displays actually would look better with the G5 than a aluminum display mainly because of the contrast and the difference.
    I recommend the current Apple Studio Display

8. Opteron macrumors 6502

The ADC supplies all the power to the monitor, thus puts huge stress on the Graphics car, especially in the sence of a CRT monitor. Don't be so arragent and spend your money more wisley on a third party 19"flat CRT, you'll be much happier. you should get a DVI-VGA adapter, if not computer stores more of less give them away.

9. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I'm sorry about being so arrogant - I've always had trouble buying a non-apple display with my machine... dunno why.

Are there any third-party CRTs that look decent with the G5? I hate beige :p

Also, does the all-digital signal Apple advertises make that much of a difference?

And incase anybody would like to know, I'll be using the G5 mainly for Photoshop, 3D graphics, and net surfing.

10. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

G5 w/ CRT studio display

hi iindigo. Opteron is incorrect about the power putting "huge stress" on the graphics card. every ADC graphics card is designed to handle the job of powering the CRT studio display. it's no extra stress at all on the graphics card. the graphics card doesn't need to do any work to supply power to the monitor. the power goes through the card, just as the USB goes through the card, without the card knowing the difference. the graphics card is just a pass-through for power and USB.

my G5 is connected to an Apple CRT Studio Display. the monitor takes up a lot of space on my desk, but I like it a lot.

DVI is better than VGA. there are a handful of CRT monitors that take DVI input, but those are in the price range of the 17" Apple LCD you're steering clear of. otherwise, most CRT monitors available today have VGA input.

also, Opteron, a DVI to VGA cable comes with every new G5. so you're right, they're practically giving them away. :)

11. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Thanks rod rod, that's good to hear. ;)

I have yet to find a CRT with the incredible refresh rates that come with the CRT studio display (For example: 1024 by 768 pixels at 99Hz and 1280 by 1024 pixels at 75Hz) - for that reason I think I'm going to get one off of eBay...

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Considering...
    You can get a Mitsubishi monitor as big or bigger (for less) than the cost of the Apple LCD with the same quality of the old Apple ADC 17 CRT -- with on screen controls, though it'll lack built-in Colorsync.

So if you need a bigger display, buy a brand new Mitsubishi display. You should be able to get a black or charcol one (instead of beige) at Fry's Electronics.

Yes it'll be a VGA monitor, but the Apple ADC CRT was basically just a VGA monitor that used the ADC plug.

13. clr900 macrumors regular

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

that apple crt adc monitor is such a nice monitor. i used to have one before i upgraded to one of the older beige apple 21" monitors, then a 20" cinema. it looks good and has such a crisp and sharp screen, but i have one complaint on the monitor. that acrylic base can easily snap in half over time. my friend's did and so did mine, and i have seen many others develop stress fractures, so just beware, cause if it breaks there is really no way to get it back, no glue, tape or anything. now i have that monitor sitting on the floor being unused just cause it cant stand up.

iJon

15. Opteron macrumors 6502

The reason I said this is becaue when I use to do some video editing on my former school's PMG4 (500MHz from memory/sawtooth:confused:.) Anyway it had a 17" apple CRT, and whenever I hooked up a second display using the VGA (a projector to view on a super large screen) the Aple CRT would become very dull.

The only explination I could come up with was that the AGP bus simpley couldn't supply enough electricity. This may have changed with most highend graphics cards now comming with inderpendent powere inputs, thus relieving stress on the AGP bus.

16. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo