Apple 17 in Studio Display Pricing/Compatability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrMan112, Mar 11, 2007.

1. MrMan112 macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    I found a guy selling one of these on Craigslist. He doesn't seem to know too many details about it working with a Powerbook G4 or a MacBook Pro (he uses it with an older G4 desktop).

My questions is what would a fair price for this monitor in good condition be. And would it work with my POwerbook G4 15 inch and future MacBook Pro 15 ?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    If I'm not mistaken the 17" studio display uses an ACD connection and for that to work with a PowerBook 15" or MacBook Pro, it would require an ACD to DVI Adapter which costs $100 last time I checked. I think maybe $150-$200 would be a decent price for the display.
  3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    Well, it looks like they still go for $150 - $200 on eBay.. To be honest, I'd bet that you'd be better off buying a newer monitor for about the same price, unless this guy has no idea the going rate it, and you can get it for significantly cheaper than that.
  4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

Oct 11, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I sold mine off for $250 but that was 6 months ago.
  5. MrMan112 thread starter macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    Here's the ad

I called the guy, and he said he would sell the monitor for $140. He claims that its in perfect condition, whcih I would verify before buying it.

Again, I want this as an external monitor for both my Powerbook G4 and future MacBook Pro 15.

Also, I found the ADC to DVI adapter for about $40. Do you think this is a fair deal? Am I better off going for a larger LCD for around $300 but losing the good looks of this LCD?

6. MrMan112 thread starter macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    Nevermind... I need DVI to ADC not the ADC to DVI. DVI to ADC is 99. Not worth it I guess.
  7. cre8design macrumors newbie

Feb 23, 2007
    Get a new monior, the adapter is a powered adapter and the montor will not go to sleep (at least that's what i was told by a friend).

Just bought a macpro and my old 23" studio display was ADC. Another $1000 I wasn't expecting to spend for a new monitor.