Apple 17" LCD (is it any good?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by agdickinson, Oct 26, 2003.

1. agdickinson macrumors member

I'm looking into getting an Apple 17" LCD (my mind changes at 2x2Ghz :) )

What is this screen like in normal use, I've seen it in stores but am after views and advice from people who use this screen daily.

What other alternatives do I have, which will give a good display, or should I save £300 and get a Lacie Electron Blue or save £350 and get a Mitsibishi 19".

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

2. tom.96 macrumors regular

I've used the apple 17" lcd a fair bit, and it is a very good screen. I haven't had much experience with other LCDs but its better than any CRT I've tried!

3. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I love it every day. I would definitely recommend one.

Dan

4. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

hey guys!I use a 17 in a dual display setup and have to say touch wood its faultless.The touch controls work efficiently the images produced are beyond reproach and the ergonomics (tilt etc) work with a single finger.Class throughout.I
    have seen and used cheaper lcds but would never go back to them, you may pay a premium but some times its just worth it!

5. grrr223 macrumors regular

Apple's flatscreens are honestly beautiful to look at, and a dream to use. I worked for MIT's IT dept for a year as we were transitioning to EVERY COMPUTER getting an Apple 17inch flatscreen. The ADC connector, or whatever the heck it is called is so beautiful having one cord for Power, Video, and USB instead of 3 or 4 (including both mouse and keyboard having to be plugged into the cpu on a Dell) not to mention all the friggin' adapters that the Dell's come with in order to allow you to connect analog sources to their flatscreens.

I would highly recommend the Apple flatscreens. For the 17inch, I think it's worth the extra $$$, and for the 23inch, it definitely is, THAT monitor is gorgeous too. But for the 20inch, I think it's something like $1200 or $1300, I think you can get a dell flatscreen for half that, so I'm going to have to advise against that on cost alone, but if you can afford it, you will NOT regret it.

Happy Hunting.

6. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

the 20 in would be my pick of the bunch.Its brighter and a more 'liveable' with size than the 23 and the loss of resolution isn't that great.For the price of a 23 you can get a 17 and 20 which is great for photoshop and illustrator etc.
    while other manufacturers screens are cheaper I would still take the apple ones certainly for professional perposes.
    can't see why everybody always uses dell as the immediate alterative to apple they're really not that good.

7. grrr223 macrumors regular

I know the Dell's aren't that good, I just can't afford the 20" Apple Flatscreen :(, but God how I'd love one. If you can beg, borrow, or steal the money, BUY AN APPLE FLATSCREEN.

Actually, I was at the Apple Store tonight solidifying my decision to get at 15" Powerbook, and the monitors on the iMacs are absolutely beautiful, I have to keep telling myself "you want a laptop, you want a laptop".

8. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

if you like the imac screens but want a laptop try and get the 17in powerbook it uses the same lcd.
    Intresting point, if you or anyone else agrees, do you feel that the imac and laptop screens while still better than most flat panels out there are inferior to apples stand alone displays?Perhaps something to do with the size or technology ivolved. You often hear complaints about anomolies on portables; - dead pixels, white spots etc but rarely with the larger displays despite there being many more pixels to damage or be damaged.

9. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

if you like the imac screens but want a laptop try and get the 17in powerbook it uses the same lcd.
    Intresting point, if you or anyone else agrees, do you feel that the imac and laptop screens while still better than most flat panels out there are inferior to apples stand alone displays?Perhaps something to do with the size or technology ivolved. You often hear complaints about anomolies on portables; - dead pixels, white spots etc but rarely with the larger displays despite there being many more pixels to damage or be damaged.

10. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

No ADC Discount on LCD

Well I cannot get a discount from Apple on the 17".

So now it back to CRT / LCD.

The Nec 17" screen look good as well as the Samsung... Any ideas?

Andrew

11. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I'd probably take the NEC over the Samsung anyday.Certain Samsung models are known to suffer from quite bad colour shift depending upon viewing angle.Not usually the most flexible either.

12. sgtlmj macrumors member

Check out Planar. I have a 17" PX-171M, and it is brilliant. It's also has one of the fastest response times, making it good for gaming and video. The pedestal is infinitely adjustable with just one finger. Reminds me of the iMac in how easy it is to move around. Dual inputs, both DVI and VGA. Black, white or silver. Can't go wrong with this display IMHO.

Product Specs.

13. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

I understand that Formac (formac.com) makes some very good displays although I have no personal experience.

You might start a new thread about them to get a response.

14. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

For gaming there is still no equal to a 100Hz Flat tube CRT. But if you want an LCD, While the apple displays looks 'cometically' good the picture quality is much the same as any other good brand. People like Samsung, Sony, etc would be the best bet $ for $ or poud for pound in your case.

15. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

hold on a minute. apple displays no better than rivals.I thing not!In review after review in europe the apple displays come out on top, not just for appearance but for image quality.Samsung are the no better than average company.Sony do make quality products but they are expensive and certainly no better than apple. The larger sony units cost hundreds more than the equvalent apple displays.
    Plus correct me if I'm wrong but neither sony nor samsung support ADC making for a much more cluttered cable laden workspace and loss of a usb port for those screens with in built hubs.

16. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

All apple graphics cards now come with and ADC and a DVi out.

I'm still a fan of CRT's because the images are so sharp, no bluring at all when playing fast passed games, and best of all they last for ages.

17. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I know, the powerbooks support DVI as well but it doesn't provide power or usb support.
    Except for work that needs to be 100% colour accurate I don't think there is any real reason except cost to stick with crt. I've seen hiframe rate games played on apple lcds with no smearing or ghosting. You also have the added benefit of no eyestrain (leading to headaches) and no heat. Working with multiple crts or just one large one can be like working in a blast furnace. Neither do you have to see a chiropracter whenever you lift one.

18. onemoof macrumors member

Apple obviously doesn't make the displays, so you can buy the exact same screen quality from the manufacturer for less. I believe Apple uses Samsung for some of their monitors so anything by them would be a great choice.

19. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

Nec 1760NX (Any good?)

Hi,

Well I've decided upon a Nec 1760NX (hopefully it's not going to be a lemon <fingers-crossed>).

It has a response of 16ms which looks quite good.

Any one heard about that one?

Thanks

Andrew
    :)

20. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

go for it. Spec looks good. As I said all the NEC screens I've seen reviewed have always got good write ups.

21. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

G5 Shipped

Well just got the mail to say my G5 is being shipped :)

Can't wait :)

Andrew

22. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

or get the same resolution as the 19in formac while saving a couple of hundred bucks and get the 17in studio display. Would still argue that the apple display looks better. I thought he had alread stated he couldn't afford the apple studio display? The formac costs even more!I'd take one of lacie's lcds and desk clamp over the formac.

23. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

17" Nec TFT with 16ms response

Well I've decided to get a 17" 1760NX from Nec as it seems a good display and has a 16ms response time (what ever that means :eek: :) )

Anyone used one before?

Andrew