Apple 20" Cinema Display

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SLCentral, Jan 2, 2005.

1. SLCentral macrumors regular

Is it just me that thinks you have to be a true moron to buy a 20" display from Apple? Seriously...they cost twice as much as the Dell 20" widescreen model, yet the Dell has better specifications. Do you really pay $600 more for the Apple design? If you do, isn't there something better you could do for that money? I don't understand the benefit of buying an Apple display, and if someone knows a good one, it would be great if you could share it with me.

The 30" model on the other hand... :D

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Nice rant :)

3. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

that or you could say 23 inch modle on the other hand as well. A little while ago I saw the 30in display at fries then I say the 23 inch display and it looked so small. only a 30inch lcd could make a 23 inch look so tiny

4. SLCentral thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you :). I've been meaning to say something about this since they were released. $1300 (or $1200, cant remember right now) is rediculous for a 20" LCD.

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I better not mention them costing $2300 here in Australia then ;)

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I plan to pick one up after MWSF. I am only waiting in case there is a price drop. I think the Apple display is exteremly good looking, and stylish. Is it very pricey? Of course, but to me I would just get pissed off if I had to come home and look at a 20'' dell, knowing that the 20'' Apple display looked 100x better style wise. I'll gladly pay the 600 dollar difference.

7. SLCentral thread starter macrumors regular

$600 for design alone? Don't you think thats a bit...extravagent?

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I agree. Apple has to bring the price down. The Dell is better and about half the price. I love Apple but not enough to pay $600 more for style in a monitor.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Personally I agree, and this subject has been discussed many times. There still seem to be quite a lot of people that insist the Apple has better colour realism, blah, blah :rolleyes:

10. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

Well Apple also insists they are the industry best .. go read the reports on their own forum how good they are .. or tell it to people who went through 3 or more aluLCDs before getting a good one ..

Apple dropped the ball on this one ..

11. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

Hey I got a 20" ACD and its been perfect so far. Anybody willing to sell me another 20"?

12. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Same here, I've had no problems at all with my 20" but at AUD$2300 I shouldn't be having any problems. When I was searching for a monitor for my G5 I couldn't find a single monitor in Australia that compared to the Apple line, I'm not even sure if the Dell is even available here.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No one's saying there's anything wrong with the Apple monitor, just that it's over priced.

14. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Something is only worth what others will pay for it. Apparently, sales haven't been lacking and the price remains where it is for Apple Cinema Displays. Simple supply and demand equation. If you want the Dell logo sitting on your desk then so be it. I personally like the whole Apple system. When its resale time the monitor is in the same boat as the G5 where resale value is excellent. Those Dell monitors will be worth virtually nothing as they are caught in the PC world of price slashing. To each his own. Love what you have and don't chastize others for their choices. Those who do usually operate out of jealousy of some sort for some unknown reason. If you are wealthy enough to own an Apple monitor..GO FOR IT!

In addition, the Apple monitors do look awesome. Customers notice this as well. If you are willing to invest in the best equipment, visually and functionally, that money can buy, perceptually, it translates excellence to your work as well. Same principle as using Apple equipment in general.

Enjoy whatever you've purchased!