Apple 23 Cinema or Plasma?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by waterbouy, Oct 28, 2003.

1. waterbouy macrumors newbie

I am considering a new machine and perifieral purchase (currently: Wallstreet G3) and I am considering a new iBook. Since I am not doing any digital video or gaming, it should suit my needs and be very portable.

I will be doing a bit of graphics work - thanks for the basic G4 - so I am trying to decide what to do ablout a display at home. Initially, the 23" Cinema seemed the greatest option, but some have said that for a little more, I could get a plasma display that is larger.

I would like to use the display as a monitor primarily, but will also use it to watch DVD's.

Any suggestions?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

A plasma screen IS NOT for use as a monitor, you'd need to get a hi-res one (most of which aren't) and sit well back for it to be usable, and it'd still drive you nutz! 23" cinema, you can't go wrong.

3. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Re: Apple 23 Cinema or Plasma?

Are you serious? I hope you're joking b/c buying a consumer laptop ($1100-1500) and a 23" inch monitor costing your $2000 that you'll only use a part of the time seem completely ridiculous to me. Not only that, the iBook can't even drive the 23" monitor beyond the iBook's 1028x768 native resolution (yeah it's possible with a hack, I know).

Wouldnt' you be better off getting a 15" PowerBook ($2000) and the 20" display ($1300)? At minimum, you need to get the 12" Powerbook ($1600) if you want to drive the larger monitors.

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Plasmas are not monitors, I second that. The pixel density is not the same and it will drive you crazy if you start to read things all over a huge screen.

Just think about this, why creating a Plasma screen with the pixel density of a computer monitor if less of the 1% of the market is gonna use it for that end?

Of course you can run DVDs and Powerooint presentations but no writing in Macrumors yet.

5. mstecker macrumors 6502

I have one, Your Mileage May Vary

One of my macs is a 1U rackmount iMac (in a case made by Marathon) in my living room. It's sole purpose in life is to talk to the plasma display.

I have a pretty high def display, as far as plasmas go, with a native resolution of 1080x1080. It looks very nice at 1024x78.

But... let me qualify by what it means to "look nice". It's nowhere near the clarity and sharpness of a real LCD monitor.

I use it to watch streaming video, occasionally play a game, and as an iTunes jukebox at parties. It's great for that. I'd NEVER want to use it as my only monitor, though. While it is fine for occasional use, I find that it strains my eyes to read small text or to anything extremely complicated with it.

All of that being said, it's an amazing sight to see Panther on a 42" monitor.

Matthew