Apple 23" display and WOW

Discussion in 'Games' started by sotofish, Mar 16, 2005.

1. sotofish macrumors member

I use my computer for design work mostly but my brothers introduced me to Warcraft and now I'm addicted to it (damn my brothers!). I have a G5, 1GB of ram, and the standard graphics card that came with it when I bought it- a 64mb card. Right now I'm using an old 19" Mitsubishi monitor. World of Warcraft runs smooth, I have no problems with it right now, but I'm looking to get the Apple 23" (mostly for my design work) and wondering if WoW will be affected by it. Do I need to get a better graphics card? Maybe upgrade to 128? What do you guys think?
    Thanks!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The game may slow down with the higher-resolution screen, but you can always turn the res down to get performance back.

Unfortunately, WoW doesn't support true widescreen, it instead cuts the top and bottom off. So you'll see less on the screen than you would with a 4:3 display. :(

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

That's not really true as far as I can tell. WoW has widescreen resolutions.... I think it is actually true widescreen? It does trim the top and bottom, but it also adds data on the sides... Looking at this, it's kinda weird how it works and I don't really understand it... But it's good enough for me lol

4. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I play it on my 20" imac g5, and it runs great in fullscreen mode, even though I have a horrible 5200 64mb. I think you'll be fine.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I tried both 1024x768 and 1280x720, looking at exactly the same scenery, and they both had the same width, but the 4:3 res had more scenery at the top and bottom. I'd love to post some pics, but WoW doesn't want to go into 1280x720 with this DVI LCD connected (I could do it with my old analogue CRT, but it doesn't even show up in the list anymore).

6. sotofish thread starter macrumors member

Nermal, you're not on the Proudmoore server are you? I'm in California but it seems that the population is mostly Australians and New Zealanders on Proudmoore. A good bunch of people, but I think you guys are 21+ hours ahead so things are just getting started (raids and such) when I'm going to bed at 2am!

Thanks all for the advice, still don't know what people think about keeping the 64mb or getting an upgrade to the graphics card.
    Thanks.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm on Bronzebeard. When I first got the game I didn't know anyone else in real life who had it, so I just let it pick a server, and that's where it put me :)