apple 23" lcd side buttons not responding

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by whawhat, Nov 12, 2006.

1. whawhat macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2006
    hi, just got a used apple lcd and the buttons on the side (brightness and power) are not responding when i press. did i get a bad display?
  2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    Most likely. I would go to the store and have them take a look at it.
  3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    not necessarily - check the display settings in your system preferences first. there's a pane under "options" (in tiger, can't speak for previous versions of OS X) where you can completely disable the buttons on the cinema display. see the attached screen shot...

Attached Files:

4. whawhat thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2006
    thank u. the bigger issue is now when i start up my computer (it's hooked up to my g4 powerbook ti) it flickers on and off a few times and sometimes the screen starts and sometimes it just stays black (??)

anyone else have this problem?

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    It sounds like it is searching/switching the resolution and it only supports three resolutions, else it goes on black. When it stays black, do you have mirroring on? If so, turn this of, or you have the resolution of your powerbook on a resolution that the ACD doesn't support.
  6. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2005
    Man you're my freaking hero. I was wondering how i might be able to get the power button to just turn the display on/off :)

Now I can leave some downloads going and turn the display off while i'm away. (it does automatically turn off but hey, figure i can help it along a bit instead of waiting 10 minutes)
  7. BackInTheSaddle macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2002
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    I have a 1G Apple Cinema display and the power button no longer works, regardless of the System Preferences setting. The "brightness" button on the front panel works, and the power button glows when I press it, but it seems to have no effect. I used to be able to power down/sleep my system with it.