Apple 23" Slight Pink Hue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Habusho, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Habusho macrumors 6502

Hi, I purchased a new ACD from Apple about a month ago. I purchased it after they updated the specs of the monitor and lowered their price on them. I know I have the new spec monitor, and I have a slight and I mean really slight pinkish hue on the left side of the monitor. It's barely noticeable unless you have a white image and make a copy of it and place one on the right side of the screen and another on the left side. You probably wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it. It's just that I'm using this monitor for a lot of photoshop work and it would be nice to have the correct colors show up.

Is this normal??? Should I speak to Apple about getting it replaced? I would have done this already but I think I might get an even worse screen than what I have right now.

Thanks

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Call up applecare. I had mine replaced at an applestore. if you have one near by, call and see if they have one in stock, otherwise give applecare a call.

3. Habusho thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I've got one close by. I guess I'll go ahead and exchage it. I just don't know if I'll get the same problem again though. Now that I notice it though the more it's bugging me. This is a $1000 freakin monitor!

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

I tried my replacement in the store... if you want have them help you out ... they said they'd let me connect it to just about any of the computers in the store... so.. give it a shot.

5. Habusho thread starter macrumors 6502

I spoke to Apple and they're telling me that I've had the monitor for over a month now and that it's not a problem I saw right when I got the monitor. They told me that I could either ship it to them for repair or make an appt with a Mac Genius to see what they would do.
    It's sounding like they don't even want to exchange it.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Did you pay for it with a Visa card? Sometimes depending on the card they can halp with warenty issues, many "gold cards" have features like that. You do have a one year warenty so take it into the store. Tel then it's broke.

7. asencif macrumors 6502

Same issue

I also bought one almost about a month ago and started to notice more the pink hue on the top and left side of the 23" ACD. Let us know if you were able to get it replaced, I think I will attempt to take it to the Apple Store and get it swapped or have someone at the Genius Bar declare it faulty.

8. Habusho thread starter macrumors 6502

I got it replaced. At first they wanted to have it in for repairs and I had to do some convincing to get it replaced. The new monitor seems good so far, it's my first day using it and hopefully it will stay this way. I had to be at the Apple store for about on hour and fortyfive minutes though to get this done.
    So far so good.

9. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Yea. When I had mine replaced (I took it up the very day I got the sucker... sucks having to drive 90 minutes to get something replaced the same day you got it via Fedex) I had to wait for about an hour to get to see a genius. Then another 30-40 minutes to get the new display... their stock room was on the opposite side of the mall. Then before hand I was on hold when I called to ask if they had any in stock... that was a good 30-40 minutes there ... "thank you for calling Apple Store at Somersett, please hold." i couldn't even get a word in before they put me on hold.. called back about 8 times to the same thing.

10. operator macrumors regular

The fact that you've owned it for a month should not matter. Apple doesn't know what you've been doing for the last month, nor is it any of their business. Maybe you had just used the moniter for web browsing, and you've recently begun to use it for work purposes which led you to discover the defect. Maybe you've been out of town for a month. Maybe you've had a family emergency and haven't sat at your computer for a month. (this happened to me in August) IT SHOULDN'T MATTER.

The fact is: you place identical documents side by side and they appear different. You use the moniter for work purposes where you need accurate color, and this "top-of-the-line" $1000 monitor should work as it is supposed to.

Put your foot down.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't read the last two posts. Glad to see you got it worked out.

11. asencif macrumors 6502

Very true...Sometimes it takes time to discover certain flaws. Lately I've been editing a lot of photos and I'm starting to notice the pink hue. The more work you do with color and the more you use a black backgroung, one will notice the issue, if your ACD has one that is.

12. mashinhead macrumors 68020

i just bought a used one and ran pixel check, everything was fine til it got to white and there is a pink hue on all sides, it makes the white at the top look grey, i'm checking out apple care eligiblity, i don't have the box, do you think if i get applecare it is able to be changed?

13. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Have you re-calibrated the monitor with Color Sync? This pink hue could be caused by improper calibration of the monitor.

14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Pink eh? I think the monitor is trying to tell you something :p

Get on to Apple immediately, emphasize the importance of accurate colour to your work and that the reputation of Apple panels for your line of work is what influenced you to purchase the monitor in the first place. Stress that the monitor is essentially hopeless to you without accurate colour reproduction and that you've seen other Apple displays that do not have this problem. If the Apple rep sympathizes with your situation then they're inclined to help you regardless of the official Applecare position.

Edit: Yeah, ok, I didn't realise how old this thread was. Anyway, maybe that'll be of some use to you also mashinhead.

15. mashinhead macrumors 68020

yeah i did it, it doesn't really find a problem

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Definitely let Apple know and ask firmly but nicely for replacement or prompt repair. They should be able to trace its purchase date from its serial number -- it's an Apple monitor. It's not like you bought the Dell Apple monitor. ;) Apple makes a big deal about these displays being suited for offline proofing (e.g. SWOP) -- it's important that they address issues with their quality.

17. mashinhead macrumors 68020

yeah problem is i bought it used and it might not be elgible for apple care

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm, I see.... I'd still at least call them and log the problem (although it's kind of a nuisance if the warranty is expired).

For what it's worth, though, you have the original warranty period even if you are not the original owner. Try and see if the support website tool takes ACD serial numbers:

http://www.apple.com/support/

There is a box on the lower right side of the page:

Put the serial number in there and see if you get the warranty status. You might.