Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is now taking orders for their new 24" LED Cinema Display that was announced in October. While early versions of the new Cinema Display have been shown at Apple retail stores, orders had not been accepted until now.

Apple recently discontinued the 23" Apple Cinema Display to make way for the new LED screen.

The new screen introduces an LED backlight, iSight camera, speakers, and Mini DisplayPort. Rumors have suggested that Apple could be updating the rest of their Cinema Displays at Macworld San Francisco 2009 in January.

Article Link: Apple 24'' LED Cinema Display Available for Order

iamhammill

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
York, PA
Still a bit too expensive. By the way... is there any way around this mini-display port thing? Any way to use this with a 1st gen MBP?

jbcandkc

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2006
If all this thing has is a Mini DisplayPort, how would you hook it up to a MacPro?
How does this replace the 23" Cinema Display

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Today I can really order my new 24" LED Cinema Display. Order now at Apple.com

I know someone said could order last week but today is first time I can actually order the new 24" LED Apple Cinema Display.

I cannot wait for it... still shipping in November.

moonzilla

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
Berkeley, CA
Still a bit too expensive. By the way... is there any way around this mini-display port thing? Any way to use this with a 1st gen MBP?

you just need to buy the mini-display to dvi adapter.

oh, and maybe another listed feature for the monitor should be hdcp compliance :p

deadkenny

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2006
you just need to buy the mini-display to dvi adapter.

oh, and maybe another listed feature for the monitor should be hdcp compliance :p

That adapter would allow you to hook a display with DVI adapter (male) to a computer with mini-display adapter (female) but not the other way around. To the date there is no solution from Apple to hook up a computer with DVI or miniDVI (female) to a display with displayport (male).

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
I am hoping for an entirely new model line coming up in January. including maybe a 42" and 50" model with HDMI inputs as well. I would love an apple tv.

just happy HDCP is here in monitors. it feels like Blu-Ray is finally going to stand a shot at reality coming to apple products in January. but never any security to that wish, apparantly management at Apple is very against anything that would compete with itunes sales. which is sad because blu-ray's have many discs with digital copies, and that means blu-ray has been supporting apple and apple's itunes. sadly no reciprocity from apple yet.

havok416

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2002
Toronto
Back to Matte

This screen is a pretty slick companion to the new MacBooks, sure, but the trend towards glossy screens still sucks none the less. I really hope the redesigned 17's are available in Matte and that they keep at least one Cinema Display matte as well. These screens are seriously glossy and reflective. Even in the Apple store, I saw more of the florescent lights reflecting than I did the actual content on the screen. If I really wanted to stare at myself all day while I'm working, I'd just turn on my iSight instead!

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
I have no interest in buying one... However... you'd think they'd put a few FireWire400 or even FW800 ports on the damn thing.... I guess FireWire really IS DEAD !!!!
3 USB ports and that's it.... :mad:

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I have no interest in buying one... However... you'd think they'd put a few FireWire400 or even FW800 ports on the damn thing.... I guess FireWire really IS DEAD !!!!
3 USB ports and that's it.... :mad:
At least Apple is TELLING us that FW is dead. Far from the truth. But Jobs just ignores the truth for his own version.

espoir

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Response time: 14 ms - I can't believe in this... It was awful for old ones but for 2008-09 model is just joking

sighlent

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
You could just use this.

Unfortunately there is no fullsize displayport to mini display port converter either. I'm all for Apple doing what is necessary to reduce the footprint of the ports but for f*$%s sake throw in an adapter with the purchase of a machine. Like you get to choose which one is bundled either MDP > VGA, MDP > DVI or MDP > DP (doesn't exist yet).

thesheep

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
This screen seems to be extremely glossy and reflective, just like the new MBPs. And no 'matte' option.

I still think Apple have really miscalculated the degree to which they're going to alienate their professional design audience with this.

I remember all through the 1990s and early 2000s that you would buy CRT monitors with special 'anti-glare' coatings, which was a clear selling point for graphics professionals. Really don't understand why Apple is completely ignoring this now, and making everything purely 'consumer' focussed. It really does seem like a mistake on their part.

sighlent

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
Response time: 14 ms - I can't believe in this... It was awful for old ones but for 2008-09 model is just joking

You obviously haven't read the countless threads explaining how their is no standard to response times and how many manufacturers provide numbers that aren't realistic, not offering rigorous enough testing for say white to black to white response times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.