Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 27, 2002
oh, this is getting good.

Read about it here!

The battle over the East Coast Macworld Conference & Expo moved West on Saturday when IDG World Expo President & CEO Charlie Greco said the organization might not allow Apple to exhibit at the upcoming January Expo. This comes after Apple said in a statement to MacCentral on Thursday that they would "continue to participate in Macworld San Francisco in January."

"I don't think it's fair that Apple discriminates against its users on the East Coast by cherry picking what Macworld event they plan to attend," Greco told MacCentral in an interview tonight. "We're considering telling them not to attend the San Francisco show if they believe one coast has more value than another; they have certainly determined that one city has more value than another."

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: Apple 2B banned from MWSF?

Originally posted by e-coli
oh, this is getting good.

Read about it here!

are they just stupid. You don't shoot yourself in the foot because you're a bit pissed about what your partner is doing. If they didn't want apple to pull out of east coast shows, they should have consulted with them before moving the show to boston. I'm no genius in business, but it seems like it only makes sense to invite apple to as many events as you can get them to agree to, not alienate them. I mean, do they think they show will do better without apple? is it not obvious there will be less enthusiasm and attendence if apple is not there.

strider42: Actually, it's Apple who are shooting themselves. Apple does not need to decide where the Expos should be, that's IDG's business. If Apple were smart enough, they would go to the Boston one as well.

It's Apple's loss, not IDG's.

Sigh. Don't we wish Steve Jobs were a lot less arrogant and a better CEO, Apple would be a lot better company these days. My god, I miss the days of pre-Steve Jobs Macintoshes (System Software 6.x, the easter eggs, Mac OS 7.6.1, etc.).

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by MacCoaster
strider42: Actually, it's Apple who are shooting themselves. Apple does not need to decide where the Expos should be, that's IDG's business. If Apple were smart enough, they would go to the Boston one as well.

Sigh. Don't we wish Steve Jobs were a lot less arrogant and a better CEO, Apple would be a lot better company these days. My god, I miss the days of pre-Steve Jobs Macintoshes (System Software 6.x, the easter eggs, Mac OS 7.6.1, etc.).

Common man... the bastard saved Apple... even if he is a bastard.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
My god, I miss the days of pre-Steve Jobs Macintoshes (System Software 6.x, the easter eggs, Mac OS 7.6.1, etc.).

i would trade in all of the easter eggs that are in existence just si that th company that my computer came from will be around tommorow to sell me another one.

springscansing: the joyfully sad truth

Originally posted by benixau
i would trade in all of the easter eggs that are in existence just si that th company that my computer came from will be around tommorow to sell me another one.
Both of you made comments that were true, yes he saved Apple. But so what? I just said I missed the days before Apple went in the toilet--the 68k days were definitely Apple's best time. Their PowerPC time was okay, nearly made Apple into inexistence before Steve Jobs' take over.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002

I really disagree. for IDG, this is a business proposition. they get more business with apple there. alienating apple just means they won't make as much money.

For apple, they've been releasing products more and more away from expos anyway. If they decently marketed their stuff, the expos wouldn't be as important.

As for Jobs, he runs two businesses that are profitable (last quarter not withstanding for apple), so I'd say he's doing a decent job as CEO, especially considering what he came in with when it comes to apple. I don't think he's god or anything, but the man can run a business pretty well.

Tagada

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2002
Kosice - Slovakia
Apple Expo is Apple's. See you in Paris

Sorry to correct the article but Apple is the owner of Apple Expo in France. Apple allowed Reed to organized it nothing else...
So there will be an Apple Expo in Paris in 2003 (if no war or something else cancels it like in sept 2001)
Eventually Apple might ask Reed to do Apple Expo in US or Japan for them ??

:p

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Uh, HELLO? Without Apple there WOULD BE NO MACWORLD. IDG is getting a little too high and mighty if they think they can boss Apple around. Apple can attend whatever and whenever the hell they want as far as I'm concerned. But if/when they do, they'd better have a good reason for holding out on the others!

They're stupid. It's like biting the hand that feeds you if the hand doesn't feed you the food YOU want... :rolleyes:

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by Hemingray
Uh, HELLO? Without Apple there WOULD BE NO MACWORLD. IDG is getting a little too high and mighty if they think they can boss Apple around. Apple can attend whatever and whenever the hell they want as far as I'm concerned. But if/when they do, they'd better have a good reason for holding out on the others!

They're stupid. It's like biting the hand that feeds you if the hand doesn't feed you the food YOU want... :rolleyes:

I definitely agree. MacWorld is centered around apple. There is no way they will ban apple from Macworlds. I don't think we should worry about that.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Apple knows what it wants

Ever since Apple did not appear in the european MacWorld ( I forget what it was called) they have been having problems.

I think IDG was seeing Apple not spending money and they wanted to make them spend more by playing behind the scenes games. Then Apple opened up the stores and announced that more people go to the stores every day than go to Macworld.

The fact that Apple copyrighted the name Keynote and put little theaters in each of the Apple stores should be enough to see that they plan to use the stores and the web as their main advertising venues. Before the stores they touted webhits at thier site. Its all about the biggest exposure at the least cost. And if IDG is anything like any other advertising related business, they just kept raising prices until their client got mad and found a better cheaper way to get the word out.

I imagine a day when we will all know when Apple will anounce new equipment, and that will be about 2 weeks before it does in its stores worldwide. Apple will send out the invites to watch the Keynote™ at the Store and thats when sales for older macs will plung, two weeks before the Keynote™ and not 3 months.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
apple and IDG are behaving just as badly as each other... It was stupid of apple to pull out of the boston expo without consulting IDG (i think they did it to only get 1 macworld per year). For IDG to tell apple to f:eek:k off from San Fran expo is very stupid, also.

I don't really think you can draw much of a difference between the two. They're just as bad as each other.

My god, I miss the days of pre-Steve Jobs Macintoshes.

Yeah, I really miss the days of macs crashing constantly, doing the extension dance, manual memory allocation and not being able to get any software. Damn Steve Jobs and his stable Mac OS X. I mean, it doesn't ever crash, you don't need to mess with extensions constantly (or even pay $$ for software which would dance on your behalf), it works out all the memory allocation for you and thanks to Carbon, developers can port to the MacOS extremely easily. :rolleyes:

GET AWAY, SCARY AMISH OS 9 PEOPLE!!!!

Originally posted by j763
GET AWAY, SCARY AMISH OS 9 PEOPLE!!!!
:D :p :D :p

I'm in no way a Mac OS 9 guy. Mac OS 7.6.1 has absolutely never failed me.

I wasn't talking about the PowerPC with Classic OSes... I was talking about 68k Macs. Those Macs *OWNED*! Man, System Software 6.0 to Mac OS 7.6.1-memories!

In fact, I still run a Mac Classic and a IIsi. I also emulate 68040 on my Athlon--I have Mac OS 7.6.1 booting in 1 second! Mac OS 8.1 in 2 seconds or so.

Remember, most Macs used today are incapable of running Mac OS X, and 8.5 and up so they run either 7.x or 8.0/8.1.

assembler

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2002
New York City
I'm with Apple

I don't always agree with Apple, but in this case I do 100%. What's next from IDG?--"we've found cheaper rates in Barrow, Alaska and will be holding the next MacWorld Expo there." Well, personally, I'd love to visit Barrow, Alaska, but I doubt it'd pull in much of a crowd for MacWorld Expo.

I'd like to find a list of IDG's activities so I can boycott them all.

New York = I'll be there spending money
San Francisco = maybe
Boston = no way

kenohki

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002

Here here. How about a nice IIfx with 6.0.8. If it weren't for the modern features of OS X (memory protection especially) I might wish for those days. Granted, there was some really nice funtionality added through the System 7 days but System 9 just got way out of control. It was a monster by the time it was done. System 6 was very transparent to the user. All about letting you get your work done (which OS X may be getting back to, hopefully). I think that was part of the original Lisa/Macintosh concept still shining through, focusing on the applications a la Lisa Desktop.

The funny thing is, Apple had some really great technology in the works then. They were always WAY ahead of the curve versus being just a smidge ahead of the curve as they are now.

And while I think Jobs has some vision and has done great things for Apple, his totalitarian way of doing things doesn't always work out well for innovation. I'm still REALLY salty about Jobs discontinuing Newton and Newton OS. That little piss-ant just didn't like it because it was Scully's baby. What a little crybaby girl.

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by Hemingray

I agree. The majority of people don't go to the MacWorld Expos to see the new Quark, they go to see what Apple is coming out with. They should absolutely have a say in where these things are held. New York is just a bigger market than Boston, and I think it would be self-damaging to move the Expo.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
it's sad to see this slap fight in public...

i think Apple must have a good reason about not wanting MW in Boston. IDG needs Apple at MW to make revenue... the only reason i really go is:

1. Jobs keynote (so cool to get so close)
2. Price reductions on hardware & software
3. Free Apple posters
4. First dibs on newly released stuff

Apple & IDG - kiss and make up please. Otherwise I'll just visit the Apple Store a lot more.

badika

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2002
enough already

This pathetic airing of bungled and failed business deals by IDG is not worth the attention its getting. If I were Greco I'd be hanging my head in embarrassment instead of crying to the press about how I lost a sale and now will try to publicly bully a customer to get that sale back! Geez~!

Trade shows are more often for people in the trade, and not consumers. If attendance is down, its because there's no wow factor for consumers anymore. Keep it a trade show with seminars and training sessions of 3rd party apps and let Apple use its retail network as a retailer should. Anything, but please let's turn the channel off this soap opera of failed business deals.

touchsky

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
Say What...!

MacCoaster put the crack pipe down man...your destroying yourself. You need a intervention.

"Remember, most Macs used today are incapable of running Mac OS X, and 8.5 and up so they run either 7.x or 8.0/8.1."

I run a school district and I would say that schools are probably where you would find the most old Macs still being used. The oldest computers we still have in operation are a bunch of G3 all-in-one's (which run OS X great). We got rid of all of our pizza boxes and others. State law says that if the unit does not have a internal CD-ROM it can not be counted as a computer.
Are there old Macs out there in use...yes...effectivily...yes but to say that most Macs in use today are incapable of running even 8.5....put the crack pipe down...

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Apple's not as dependent on these Expos as years past so I'd say the big loser in the case of a complete divorce would be IDG.

Apple has other ways to generate publicity for their products. And Apple could probably find other hosts for a Mac-related show.

If Apple indeed did pull out, Macworld Expos as we know them would be dead.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
How many people watch the keynote via quicktime? If Steve Jobs held a "keynote" at the same time as the Macworld keynote sans Apple (ie. without apple). If Steve broadcast it via quicktime and also made it available via satilite, had all of the Apple Stores have a special event, there would be no one at the Macworld Keynote. Everyone would watch Steve. Have a teeshirt giveaway for the first 500 people at a Apple Store. It would be a hit.

IDG needs Apple way more than Apple needs Macworld.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.