Apple + 50 Cent = Affordable Inner-City Mac? On-topic Continuation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by scem0, Jun 20, 2006.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Please, let's try to stay on topic.

What do you think about 50 cent and Apple collaborating to make a computer targeted for inner city youth?

A Link to the MacRumors Article

Personally, I'm all for a budget laptop - Macbook Mini - Whatever they want to call it. However, 50 cent is hardly a role model and he should not be collaborated with. His songs are always superficial, advocate gang violence, are misogynistic, and he rarely has something positive to say. And I'm not saying anything about the rap industry as a whole, just 50 cent. I think he's a horrible role model, and I think the world would be much better off without his superficial music.

e

2. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

This was posted several times yesterday and closed...there is already a semi discussion about this in the sitefeedback forum.

3. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

The topic has been brought up, beat to death, and already has another thread.

But if this one does continue to exist, one question:

Where was the dissaproval when Eminem worked with Apple? Have you read his lyrics?

Personally, I'd pick the guy who raps about being shot 9 times over the one who sings about killing his girlfriend and his mother...but, that's just me.

4. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I was thinking that we'd be able to keep things on topic in here. A topic about 50 cent in the site feedback section is off topic by nature, this forum houses social issues. I'll leave it up to a mod, but we've had plenty of discussions on more heated topics than this in this subforum.

e

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, but seldom on one which was so boring and irrelevant.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Christ, how many spokespersons are horrible role models?

If we went after them all, there'd be no one left to hawk products to us.

And if it helps get computers to poor people -- particularly Apple brand computers -- so much the better.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Careful -- there's people out there that think exactly the same thing about the music that you listen to.

8. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

That's an assumption. I don't listen to any artists that promote gang violence and misogyny - that's for sure.

I like female singer/songwrite music: Regina Spektor, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, Lauryn Hill, etc. None of these artists have hateful lyrics, if you ask me.

The only artist I can think of that I like that might be considered a bad influence is Mariah Carey. I don't like Mariah Carey as a person, and if Mariah carey tried to get Apple to make a Butterfly and Rainbows Laptop for inner city children I'd say the same thing I'm saying now. It's not appropriate. Her lyrics, unlike 50 cent, are not hateful though.

e

9. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

How many spokespeople have gotten shot 9 times for gang-related reasons?

People are bad/good role models to a certain degree. 50 cent? A bad role model to a bad degree, IMO.

e

10. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

How many spokespeople grew up in the hood, got shot 9 times for gang-related reasons, beat the street life, got out of the hood, made millions, rivaled the Beatles in sales, and talked to a big-name computer company about getting technology to the inner city?

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Fiona is a man-hater through and through.

But anyway, I'd unfortunately have to side with Mactastic. 50 cent is the last guy that should be a role model, but if it gets the poor people hooked into the net, especially with a quality OS, it could be a very positive thing.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not a fan of the 50. Not so much about the fine line of creating art from bad experiences vs. exploiting and encouraging those dangerous experiences to sell records, mostly to wannabes. Mostly just because I don't really like it. Kinda like Dylan's last album. I'm sure it's good, but I didn't like it. Some people like him. I'm sure he's good. I'm sure he's probably entertaining to his audience. Role model to some, not so much to others.

But if he can get Apple to sell cheap laptops (er, to kids), I'm not going to be complaining about his devil music because I don't like it no matter how good or bad it is.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't know of any others who've been shot 9 times, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I'm not saying I agree with 50's lyrics, but he seems to be interested in bettering things for the poor. What's wrong with that?

How many others have cheated on their spouses, been absent parents for their kids, been arrested for using drugs, DUIs, assault, rape, etc.?

Looking for role models in our celebritites is a futile exercise.