Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hip hop artist 50 Cent is in talks with Apple about a 50-cent branded Mac that is affordable for inner-city residents according to Forbes (summary by AppleInsider).

"[Jobs] is setting a new standard in the music business," said 50's manager, Chris Lighty. "Let's just say we get each other."

No technical or pricing details are given, but one can assume that the price will be more than $.50.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I personally don't like the idea of Apple associating itself with a vendor of Hip-Hop rubbish such as $0.50. Apple has a reputation as a good company with good values. $0.50's values are, shall we say, unproven.

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
Sounds like it could be promising if they can market it effectively. Will it be bullet-proof? Fifty's been shot somewhere around 9 times or so already ;)

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Apple and ghetto-ness don't really add up. I really can't imagine a Mac with the G-Unit logo slapped on the side

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
I dont think the gun-busting, cap-popping, chillin and grilling, rap swinging and lyric grinding gangsta would appreciate a mac...

just a thought though

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
dynamicd said:
Sounds like it could be promising if they can market it effectively. Will it be bullet-proof? Fifty's been shot somewhere around 9 times or so already ;)

Coming at MacWorld Paris the new Kevlar iMac.

fenixx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
God forbid we actually acknowledge the concept by Mac & 50 Cent...

(Let's just bash on rap music and other topics of our ignorance)

:|

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Just because he said he's talked to Apple doesn't mean that Apple is talking back. Never gonna happen yo.

gerbilbox

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
Some of you are forgetting the main point. I am not a fan of 50-Cent myself, but if this materializes this would be a very good thing. A Mac program for those in the inner-city / low-income? They'll need the assistance.

Alex

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Frozone said:
I'm not sure 50-Cent is exactly the best role model, but if it helps folks, then I guess it can't be that bad.

right. Forget that it's 50 cent... getting low cost macs to people who otherwise could not afford a computer would be a great thing for a number of reasons.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I kind of like the idea. Say what you want about the rap music industry, I have to believe that most of the people that really succeed in it are probably a lot smarter than than images they carve out for themselves. And I have to think that many of them are pretty good at the business side of things as well. Who knows, I could be way off, but that's the impression I get.

QCassidy352 said:
right. Forget that it's 50 cent... getting low cost macs to people who otherwise could not afford a computer would be a great thing for a number of reasons.
And I really agree with this point as well.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Hm, so this is a bit weird. I simply voted Positive because it would mean another Mac is in the lineup. The more Macs, the better I say. :) But a 50 Cent branded Mac? This seems a bit... odd. All we can do is wait, though.

(I don't see this happening, by the way. Perhaps an iPod, but a Mac?)

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
Finally, a computer for African Americans. Can we also have a jewBook endorsed by Woody Allen? Or how about the original 'white' iBook endorsed by Steve Martin?

gauriemma

macrumors member
May 4, 2004
Hmmm...Reminds me of the fake 'Britney to Namibia' story from Pugbus.net last week. This has "Onion" article written all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.