Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As documented in its quarterly earnings reports over the years, Apple reported total sales of 472 million iPhones between the device's 2007 launch and the end of 2013. With analyst estimates of over 38 million units for the current quarter ending in just a few days, the company has undoubtedly already sold its 500 millionth iPhone, a milestone that passed without mention from the Cupertino company, notes Forbes.
The consensus would have placed the milestone sale around March 8 given that entering the quarter Apple had sold 472 million iPhones. So even if it proves a bit high as it did last quarter, we've crossed the point where it's safe to assume that Apple has sold 500 million smartphones in less than 7 years. And the most recent 100 million took somewhere between 2-6 weeks less than the previous 100 million did.
Apple is known for celebrating notable milestones, changing its homepage for the 30th anniversary of the Mac and setting up countdowns on its website for App Store milestones. The company reached the 50 billion app download milestone in May 2013 and awarded a $10,000 iTunes Store gift card to the person who downloaded the 50 billionth app.

iphone5s5c.png
Even though Apple didn't announce the 500 million iPhone milestone, it is not without significance. Quarterly iPhone sales continue to rise consistently on a year-over-year basis, with the company selling a record 51 million iPhones in fiscal Q1 2014, up from 47.8 million in the same time period in the prior year.

These next few quarters may see a slump in iPhone sales as Apple gears up for a possible fall launch of the iPhone 6. Apple's upcoming iPhone 6 is widely rumored to include a larger display, which could encourage a significant number of users to upgrade in 2014 and cause another spike in sales later this year.

Article Link: Apple Quietly Sells Its 500 Millionth iPhone

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Apple employee, whispers: Thank you for your purchase, have a great day
Customer: What?
Apple employee, whispers: enjoy your phone
Customer: I can't hear you, speak up.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
If you build a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to your door.

That's 500 million devices at $600 per device on average. $300 beelion dollars!

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
The 500 millionth iPhone is going to get a push notification from Apple after quarterly earnings are announced and the lucky owner gets free iPhone upgrades for life.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It would even more interesting to see how this compares to other manufacturers of phones. For example I would not be surprised that Nokia and Samsung have sold more than that in total. However, if you compare smartphones in the above $400 category, how close is anyone to apple? I would bet a pretty penny that they are not close at all.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Apple shoulda sent #500m to Steve Balmer with a sweet love note. :D

Why? Balmer is no longer the CEO of MS. He's enjoying a very wealthy lifestyle on the board of directors with very little interaction with the marketing or development.

Got an iPhone, Mac and iPad myself but it sounds like somebody has a bad case of bias. ;)

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I never found Apple sales numbers to be particularly interesting or worthy of front page news.. It's obvious that "if Apple releases X - they are going to sell a very high number of X over the years".

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It's not about winning, it's about making the best products.

When are the going to start that.

Define best, as for me the iPhone is not it.

Apple makes what it wants, THEN persuades you that what you want.
As opposed to most other things, where companies make items and you choose what you want.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
wow !! 500 million!
and 7 years ago Steve had an ambition only to get 10% of the 100 million smartphones user, back in the day.

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
imminent DEATH

Which analyst will be first to use this information to predict Apple's imminent DEATH ??

bbbb4b

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
When are the going to start that.

Define best, as for me the iPhone is not it.

Apple makes what it wants, THEN persuades you that what you want.
As opposed to most other things, where companies make items and you choose what you want.

Funny thing is; "most" other things are crap. And the rest are usually simply "less than they could be".
But, bon appétit...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.