Apple '84

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hotwire132002, Mar 25, 2004.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I loved the iLife '84 site (Can be viewed at http://woz.gs/tim/ilife84/ ) so decided to do the whole apple site in '84 style. I call it "Apple '84". Check it out at http://www.geocities.com/applesite84. For now, only the home page, Mac page, Support page, and Terms of Use & Privacy Policy work, but I wanted to post what I have so far. I'll post more as I get more of the site done. Oh, by the way--The tabs work on here! (For the pages that are posted, anyway ;-)) Tell me what you think!

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That's great! You must have a lot of free time. What I'd like to see is more sarcasm on the site, though. If you have time to make the "design" button clickable on the Mac page, you might add something like this (feel free to plagiarize liberally):

It's Cute!
    The new Macintosh personal computer is simply the cutest computer out there. It's so cute that some people think it's not really a computer--they think it's some kind of a toy. But it really is.

A computer, I mean.

No, it's not a toy, you can use it for real work. You can use MacPaint to make pretty pictures. Or you can use MacWrite to type in all kinds of crazy fonts.

The new Macintosh computer is so cute that people will actually start giggling when they see it on your office desk. "Is that your computer?" they will say. And when you tell them it is, they will start to laugh uncontrollably. Then they will collapse on the floor in a spasmodic, hysterical fit of convulsive laughter.

It's Small!
    The new Macintosh computer is so small that it is quite functional as a doorstop. In fact, in twenty years or so, that's all it will be good for. But that's okay, because by then we will have developed a new computer, which we will call the Big Mac. It will be so powerful that it will vaporize entire city blocks when it is booted up. It will also be so heavy that you couldn't conceive of it as a doorstop. In fact, it won't even fit through your door, unless you turn it sideways. Your door, that is.

It's Beige!
    Why make a computer out of gray metal when you can make it out of beige plastic? Beige plastic is the height of 1980's design, literally the pinnacle of design excellence. The day Apple makes a computer with a metal case will be the day it is powered by an IBM processor.

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

That's been a great one, especially the last sentence made me laugh out loud.

I like the site, by the way.

4. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I plan to make the "design" clickable when I have the time. I'll try to put some of those ideas into it when I put together that page. (I loved that last IBM one)

Believe it or not, I put that all together in about 3 days!

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Dunno bout how much accuracy you're going for but the Expansion, Schmickspansion is prolly inaccurate. I think Apple tried to make expansion easier by having all expandability on the outside. I think I saw a commercial about this, circa late 80s, or before. But overall it's pretty good.

6. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

You're probably right that it's inaccurate... What I was aiming for with that section was the fact that you couldn't open up the Mac and expand memory, add a hard disk, etc. like you can now with the G5.

7. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Not only is that amusing, the stripped-down black-on-white is refreshingly simple and uncluttered. I like it! :)

8. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Thanks. Keep watching it, I'm working on making the links at the top of the Mac page work (tech specs, design...). I'll mention it on the "support" page when I do any updates.

9. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Site Update

I added a Design page for the Macintosh. Pretty much what wordmunger wrote. Thanks, wordmunger! I gave you credit on the "support" page. Anyone else with ideas, please mention them! :D

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Nicely done! I like the banner at the top.

11. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

haha! great job. i look forward to seeing an iPod 84 :p
    imagine where they would be if they were like they are today back in 84?

12. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be posting an iPod '84 page. The reason is I'm trying to stick to stuff that existed in '84. Maybe I'll change my mind, though...

I like the idea though!

13. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I'm at a loss for ideas on the Tech Specs page. First person with a good idea gets it on the page!

14. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I'm on vacation in Chicago, and just left the Apple Store. I left the site up on a couple of the display G5s :D (Boy, I want one of those)