Apple 8x Superdrive available on apple.com? dvd burner questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jayeskreezy, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Im looking to add one of these to a mini mac, but whenever I go on the website I only see the option for the 4x superdrive. How do I get this installed and where is it listed? Also, how much is it to get a 8x superdrive installed with a student discount? Would it be better to just get a 16x external dvd burner?

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

The time that the Mac Mini had a 8X burner, I believe it was just a typo. Unfortunately they only offer a 4X.

3. Palomino macrumors member

Welcome to the apple product hierarchy. The 8x drive is seen as a highend user requirement, eg powermacs. the mini mac is an entry level product thus 4x is only avaliable. I'd recomend an external 16x dual-layer drive (internal drive in external shell) should be able to get away for $130USD.

Jordan

4. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

Better yet just get a NEC ND-3520A($60) or Pioneer DVR-109($85) and any External 5.25in USB 2.0 enclosure($35-45). That way you will save some money and get a better drive at newegg.com. Better then spending $130 on a cheap'o Lacie drive.

5. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

I heard that neither of these brands are compatible with Macs...I need to go back and forth between a mac and pc.

6. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

my G5 has a pioneer dvr-117d, which is just the apple firmware version of the pioneer dvr-109 (dual layer).

always used pioneer in my PC's and they always worked great.

PS still waiting for that firmware update from Apple.. (Tiger maybe??)

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Wrong. The eMac has a 8x drive. And it was the lowest of the low.

8. yuck macrumors member

quick question, hows the performance of the pbs superdrive ?
    i never had a dvd writer beofre so i dont know whats the latest technoly for dvdr now

planning to get a 15" 1.5Ghz combo
    should i upgrade it to superdrive, or just get an external Dvd burner (i got a desktop pc too, so another + for ext burner ?)

9. Palomino macrumors member

Honest mistake, but the theory is there. Is the eMac's Dual layer?

Jordan