Apple about to introduce new hardware!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Willy S, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Willy S macrumors 6502

Taken from: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1130

Finally we get some rumors!

2. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

I'll take anything I can get :rolleyes:

Notice my sig......

Wasnt prepared to by a developers workstation though :p

3. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Come on new iBooks + Cram and Jam special. *crosses fingers*

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

For some reason, I'm not all that excited or interested in what they might make available....its way too early to see any Intel stuff and all the G4 and G5s will be speed bumps when they're introduced...

D

5. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

6. Fabio_gsilva macrumors 6502

Fabio_gsilva

I already bought my Mini, so I'm not excited... But it will be good to see some fresh hardware coming.

Fábio.

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

finally, my 23" imac g5. yes, G5. screw the intel stuff. the g5 will be o.k. for the next 2-3 years. :D

8. Willy S thread starter macrumors 6502

I´m so curious that I will hold my eMac purchase until I see what Apple is going to come with. I wouldn´t be surprised if sales have gone down a little since the Intel thing was announced, so Apple might pull a rabbit out of the hat. :p

Well, since I can wait a little, I think it is worth it.

9. MacHarne macrumors 6502

I am expecting some iBook updates quickly following the end of the Educational Rebate offer for $100. PowerBooks aren't ready for anything new, and it wouldn't surprise me if the iBook update once again started rubbing up against the low-line PowerBooks.

Apple knows that PB and iBooks shoppers are usually looking for two different worlds of computing and don't regularly consider the proximity between model lines. Granted, a friend of mine uses a 12" iBook with Final Cut Pro for his frequent university projects (maxed RAM helps that quite a bit).

It would be great to see Mac mini updates along with the iBook updates; but with the announcement that low-end Macs will be the first to make the Intel move in early 2006, I'm not sure if Apple will change the current Mac mini make-up only to change it again in another 8-10 months. The desktop Macs seem to have a longer span between updates than the mobile models.

But I am excited for some new models nonetheless. I'd really like to see something new with the Airport Express.

10. snackcakeofd00m macrumors member

how long until you think it comes out cuz i just bought an ibook...i hope it comes out within 30 days of my purchase...cuz i will return it and by the new one

11. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

i hope the powerbook line gets updated.

then i'm all over it.

12. sk8erboy macrumors regular

you must mean 14 on apple's terms..

13. 3lions macrumors member

new hardware, hmmmm...... Well that can only mean one thing...

PDA, PDA, PDA, PDA, PDA, PDA, PDA, :D

;)

14. Hattig macrumors 65816

Except that would surely fall foul of the law in the UK where you have 28 days or 30 days to return an item if you don't want it under the distance selling regulations. There are some caveats about custom orders, but they are more about if they make the product unsellable (like names on pencils) rather than "omg 1GB RAM" ...

15. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Those half gig shuffles are going in the new MacMoto phone ;)

16. snackcakeofd00m macrumors member

14 days!?!?! well, how much of an update is expected. is it goign to be a small bump in processor speed, and 512 ram and 64 meg vram
    if that than it is not a big deal

17. _DsK_ macrumors newbie

They might change the GPU to something thats fully Tiger compatable, perhaps the FX5200 (DX9 class) compared to the current 9200 (DX8 class).

18. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I'm certain G5 PowerBooks next Tuesday! Otherwise, I'll eat my shorts and film it.

19. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I'm waiting for your video... :p

20. raxlx macrumors newbie

Haha, I am not so certain about it... lol
    May be I need to clear some of my hard disk space to download your film... lol
    :D :D :D :D :D

21. witness macrumors 6502

Yes, me too.

PowerBooks will probably be the first to have Intel chips, so it's not worth bringing out a G5 right now (even if it were possible).

22. liquidtrance123 macrumors member

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Anyone up for a $200-$300 drop in Mac pricing?

I'm not particularly interested in minor speed bumps across the board. Woo-hoo:rolleyes:

I am, however, eager to see how Mac sales are affected by the Intel news. I predict Apple will use any announcement of speed increases to also reduce pricing, if only to keep product moving out the door while we wait on InteliMacs to ship. For every person saying "buy a PPC Mac now" you hear someone else cry "who would buy a PPC Mac with Intel around the corner?"
    If you aren't enticed into purchasing a G4 iBook or PowerBook (or eMac or mini) by minor spec enhancements, perhaps a price reduction would sweeten the deal. Keeping product moving to maintain market share AND reduce inventory of G4 processors in the pipeline ought to be critical focal points at Apple these days.

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Huh? :confused: