Apple Acknowledges Continuing Issues with OS X Mail, Offers Manual Workaround

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 3, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Ever since OS X Mavericks was released, some customers using the built-in application have repeatedly had issues retrieving new mail messages, deleting or moving messages, and more. Some of the problems were fixed in an update released back in November, and then in OS X 10.9.1, but for some, the issues retrieving new messages persist.

Some users found that quitting and restarting Mail forced the application to download new messages, but Apple has now published an awkward workaround that allows the app to stay open while still forcing a download of new messages.
    There is no indication of when the bugs with will be fixed, though beta releases of OS X 10.9.2 ask developers to test for issues.

Article Link: Apple Acknowledges Continuing Issues with OS X Mail, Offers Manual Workaround
  2. macrumors 65816

Aug 6, 2008
    St. Louis
    Apple Mail won't show any of my Sent box sub-folders.

I have to use Outlook or some other client to access them.
  3. macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2011
    Been happening to me a lot lately... A lot of my mail now comes in hours and sometimes even a day after it actually arrives.
  4. macrumors member

Apr 13, 2008
    Guess I'm just holding it wrong. Thanks for the tip Apple!
  5. macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2008
    I've been having syncing issues for a while now, I decided last year to just switch to Sparrow..
  6. macrumors 68000

Oct 31, 2005
    I'm anxious to upgrade to Mavericks, but not until they get rid of these bugs.
  7. macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2009
    Lincoln, Neb.
    Simpler fix

I think this is a simpler fix. I have had a few employees run into this issue.

In in 10.9, Apple implemented a new option under Mail Preferences/General/Check for new messages. There is an "Automatically" option which, I believe, doesn't work right.

Simply switch that to "Every minute" and (at least in my experience) the problem is solved.

Attached Files:

8. macrumors 68020

Oct 21, 2013
    i just gave up and went to normal mail in safari
  9. macrumors member

Jun 3, 2012
    I have all the same issues and then have to force quit mail to get it to shut down.
  10. macrumors member

Feb 8, 2009
    Fayetteville, AR
    I have been fighting this problem ever since Mavericks came out.

The main problem is servers and how Mavericks communicates. Go back to a pop connection and problem is gone and iOS devices have not problem.

My ISP is Cox and I KNOW they are one of the ones this issue is with...
  11. macrumors 65816

Jul 9, 2011
    I've been having these issues and I'm not even running Mavericks on my iMac (running Lion).
  12. macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2007
    Doesn't help me...

I do that all the time; it seems to work about 20% of the time at best. I actually find that toggling between different folders on the server is more successful.

They really need to get this fixed. I'm sure part of it is on Google's end for me through bandwidth limiting, but I figure it is likely an Apple bug that hits their servers more often.
  13. mbh
    macrumors 6502

Jul 18, 2002
    I've tried both settings and the problem still exists. I have been resorting to restarting Mail to get new messages to show up. Haven't had occasion to try the disconnect/connect workaround yet.
  14. macrumors 68030

T'hain Esh Kelch

Aug 5, 2001
    Mail is probably the worst coded application currently available on Mavericks.
  15. macrumors 68020

Jul 31, 2006
    Same country as Santa Claus
    I don't use Mail anymore and just went with Outlook. Half of the time, Mail won't display emails at all.
  16. macrumors regular

Nov 26, 2007
    I mentioned how awful I think mail is on a recent visit to an Apple store and the Apple person I was talking with, without missing a beat, said "just use Google mail, it's what we all do." :apple:
  17. macrumors member

Oct 16, 2003
    Search Doesn't Work

It's easy enough to quit and relaunch the app. The big problem that I'm having is that search doesn't work. When I search for e-mails sent to or from a particular person it consistently misses a large number of them. It's pretty much useless.
  18. macrumors 68030

Nov 23, 2011
    Really, the only reason I still use Mail is because it's made by Apple and somehow that allows me to forgive more of its problems.

But I have to grudgingly admit that I use Outlook on Windows every day at work, and it's so, so much better. I'm just not too keen on Outlook for Mac, and I hope that's what's stopping me from switching, rather than self-deluded fanboyism ... :(
  19. macrumors 6502

Mar 12, 2009
    this is quite lame....not updating my other macs until there is a real fix.
  20. macrumors 65816

Oct 1, 2007
    Mail in mavericks is crap. Ever since I updated my google accounts are acting weird. My problem is having to do with drafts. If i create new message or reply to existing email from mavericks mail I get draft emails in my gmail, mainly they are showing up on my android phone. I also can't uncheck save drafts on server setting in preferences. I uncheck it, save it. But when i go in and check its still checked off

Any ideas how to fix that?
  21. macrumors regular

Nov 10, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    Mavericks sucks. In addition to this Mac Mail farce, my MBA has had around 5 complete OS freezes (requiring a hard reboot) since I upgraded. It happens after I wake it.

Thankfully I haven't moved my work machine over to 10.9.
  22. macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2014
    I wonder how they managed to break this. Nothing in the IMAP code needed fixing once Mail got IDLE support (which Apple stubbornly refuses to implement on the iPhone, possibly as a condition of their ActiveSync license).
  23. macrumors member

Nov 3, 2012
    Why does THUNDERBIRD work without a glitch and APPLE can't get this to work? I switched back from THUNDERBIRD because of some nice features in APPLE MAIL, but it is driving me crazy at times. At least after the update it workes most of the time the way I expect it to. I would REALLY like to stay with APPLE MAIL.

For APPLE: If it isn't broken, don't fix it!!!!!
  24. macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2009
    If mail is the worst app, the mac app store is runner up, followed by finder taking bronze :p
  25. macrumors 65816

Jun 29, 2007
    OSX 10.9 and iOS 7, very buggy releases even for Microsoft standards. Thats happen when you don't do whats best for Apple.