Apple Acquired 24 Companies Over Last 18 Months, 'We're On The Prowl' for More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 23, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    During today's second quarter earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed that Apple has purchased a total of 24 companies over the last 18 months, some that are known and some that remain unknown.

Just over half of Apple's acquisitions have come to light, which means the company has purchased a number of additional companies that have not been disclosed. So far in 2014, Apple acquired SnappyLabs, a company that produced a burst-mode photo app, and Burstly, the company behind the Testflight iOS beta testing platform.

2013 saw Apple acquire several different mapping apps, including BroadMap, Embark, HopStop, Locationary, and WiFiSlam, along with other notable additions like 3D company PrimeSense and Novauris, a speech recognition company. Back in October, Tim Cook noted Apple had completed 15 strategic acquisitions in 2013, pointing towards a number of new acquisitions already in 2014.

The technology from Apple's acquisitions will likely make its way into future products and updates. For example, all of the mapping acquisitions are expected to be put to use in iOS 8, which will see the addition of transit directions and possibly improved indoor mapping techniques.

During the call, Apple CEO Tim Cook noted that investing in research and development along with hardware, software, and services were top priorities, and that the company was "on the prowl" for new companies to acquire.

Article Link: Apple Acquired 24 Companies Over Last 18 Months, 'We're On The Prowl' for More

2. macrumors 6502

sualpine

3. macrumors 65816

4. macrumors 65816

east85

If I recall right it's only required of them (and other companies) by law to report specific acquisition details if they break a certain purchase price, right?

5. macrumors 6502

That's it? How many have google acquired in 18 weeks?

6. macrumors newbie

ok Apple, Now buy a company that will make the pictures big on iOS 7.1 when somebody will call me!!! instead of that tiny little circle! :mad:

7. macrumors regular

well they surely are innovating their stock value

oh wait

splits then increasing scarcity is stock price manipulation 101

makes me wonder how close Ichan and Cook really are... :mad:

innovation my a$$

8. macrumors 6502

9. macrumors 68020

keysofanxiety

Your ignorance offends me.

10. macrumors 68020

Can't wait for transit info to come to Apple Maps in iOS 8. Google Maps has been acting VERY weird for me in the past couple weeks...

11. macrumors 6502

TrentS

Scratchy Productions on Youtube.

I have a small animation start-up company that Apple can purchase for a mere 3.5 million. That's pennies to them. All they have to do is give me a call and we'll make it happen!!

:D :D :D :D

12. macrumors newbie

Lordrootman

38 lmao

13. macrumors 65816

Nunyabinez

Situation: Apple not buying companies. Reaction: Why don't you spend some of your cash?

Situation: Apple acquires companies. Reaction: You're just manipulating your stock price.

Translation: The latest fad is criticizing Apple. It makes small people feel big.

14. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Well put. This has become the premier site to take a dig at apple, it boggles my mind.

15. macrumors 6502

16. macrumors 6502a

Mac Fly (film)

17. macrumors member

It's the premier site to dig Apple because trolls always want a reaction and they know they will get a strong reaction if they post negative comments here...

18. macrumors 65816

As was already said, no matter where I go, I'm offended by complete ignorance. Thing is, I'm not even sure these people understand they are trolls.

19. macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

Maybe Apple could buy Quicktime, and integrate it into iTunes.

Attached Files:

• wtf.png
      wtf.png
      File size:
      167.2 KB
      Views:
  20. macrumors newbie

Apple, please buy Samsung silicon and panel fab, then drip-feed them back to them along with licencing fees. :D

You could always licence last year's "A<X>" CPU tech to Samsung, seeing as they really want to be so much like Apple.

----------

That's a tiny sum; your product can't be very good. Aim higher, have faith in your product for goodness sake.

----------

I think that joke fell flat.

21. macrumors 6502a

That my friend is a GEM..

22. Contributor

DVNIEL

I bet they bought some companies just for their own leisure.

"Tim, why did you buy San Francisco Soup Company?"

"I like their Tomato Bisque and needed it served everyday in our cafeteria."

23. macrumors regular

Cobra611

24. macrumors 6502

I'd rather see FLAC.

25. macrumors newbie

I am surprised Apple hasn't swallowed TiVo yet. Both companies products seem to appeal to the same type of people. Also, TiVo has a ton of patents regarding set top box technology. That has to interest Apple just a bit. Add to this that TiVo fired most of it's hardware engineers a month ago. Hmmm.