Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_com_misspelled_domains.jpg

Sloppy typists should have an easier time reaching Apple's iTunes pages now, as the company this week acquired a batch of at least 16 domain names representing misspelled variants of the company's itunes.com domain. The newly-transfered domains include:
irtunes.com, itiunes.com, itrunes.com, itubnes.com, itumnes.com, itunbes.com, ituneas.com, ituneds.com, itunesa.com, itunesl.com, itunres.com, itunwes.com, ituynes.com, iutunes.com, iytunes.com, oitunes.com
All of the domains had been registered in December 2004, and Apple acquired them from Acebo Enterprises, Inc. The domains currently redirect to Apple's main iTunes page.

All 16 of the misspellings relate to "fat finger" errors, with each containing an extra letter appearing somewhere in the URL and those extra letters falling adjacent to a neighboring correct letter on the keyboard.

Article Link: Apple Acquires 16 Misspelled Variations of iTunes.com Domain Name

rerelease

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
eesti
oitunes.com sounds like a sweet indie music distribution website for punk bands. and now Apple stole their hipster potential.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
That's BS, I think the guy reserving the domain names was a bit drunk and couldn't spell it right the first 16 times. :D

finkmacunix

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Weekends always are…

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
I wish more companies did this... I know it's the user's fault but it's annoying to have to fix the url for just one letter! :p Good job on Apple's part.

PS: Not related but consider this idea: people that post "Slow news day" should be banned immediately after posting such words.

ahbdesign

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

What about itunse.com? That happens a lot with me when I go to google!

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sure this isn't the most interesting story or a rumor persay, but it gives some indication as to what's going on behind the curtain in Cupertino, I'm glad MacRumors covered it. Besides, the lost iPhone should give you something to think about.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
what about misspellings that those who simply can't spell or don't know the name might make, IE:

iToon, iToons, iToone, iToones, iTun, iTuuns, iTuen etc...

not to mention the fact they might type eye instead or i or a z instead of an s.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
I wish more companies did this... I know it's the user's fault but it's annoying to have to fix the url for just one letter! :p Good job on Apple's part.

PS: Not related but consider this idea: people that post "Slow news day" should be banned immediately after posting such words.

I'm sorry, but this is terrible news, especially for front page. I couldn't give a damn how many URLs Apple acquires, unless it was an acquisition for an unknown product or release. In my opinion this is a waste of time.

Time to watch the MR Fanbois negative this post to hell.

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Whoever Acebo Industries is I bet they're probably now living in Tahiti with a lot of money.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
I think its sad that we as a society have to coddle people. i think it teaches people they don't need to know how to spell.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I wonder if they did research to see which misspellings were worth registering.

I see that they forward with a parameter, e.g., iytunes.com takes me to http://www.apple.com/itunes/?cid=oas-us-domains-iytunes.co. Maybe that helps them track how many times people get to the site that way.

Years ago I tried to track the subdomains that Apple used. I gave up after I saw how many there were. (That thread is in the forum archive so you can no longer post there.)

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
I wonder if they did research to see which misspellings were worth registering.

I see that they forward with a parameter, e.g., iytunes.com takes me to http://www.apple.com/itunes/?cid=oas-us-domains-iytunes.co. Maybe that helps them track how many times people get to the site that way.

Years ago I tried to track the subdomains that Apple used. I gave up after I saw how many there were. (That thread is in the forum archive so you can no longer post there.)

Knowing Apple's attention to detail, my bet is they did just that.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Interesting that they never did this kind of thing when Steve was running the show...its an easy way to boost iTunes sales, so will make Tim look good (assuming it was his call obviously) :)

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
I'm sorry, but this is terrible news, especially for front page. I couldn't give a damn how many URLs Apple acquires, unless it was an acquisition for an unknown product or release. In my opinion this is a waste of time.

Time to watch the MR Fanbois negative this post to hell.

It's not that I disagree, it's just totally unnecessary. Trying to be smart doesn't make you look smart, it's just annoying.

I hate writing unnecessary posts because of people that criticise MacRumors "just because".

That's enough from me.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Interesting that they never did this kind of thing when Steve was running the show...its an easy way to boost iTunes sales, so will make Tim look good (assuming it was his call obviously) :)

this was probably in the works before he "officially" took over. But let's face it he has probably been doing a bulk of the running of Apple anyway. Steve was the visionary and super salesman, Tim made sure that vision was put into being by making sure the nuts and bolts were all put into place.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I wonder how much Acebo Enterprises got for them.

Yes, as a shareholder I'm very interested in that. Clearly this is just a domain name squatter troll company. Nice idea if the price isn't that high, but if they paid millions for these I'd rather see that money used elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.