Apple Acquires Emagic

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jul 1, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Apple's shopping spree continues yet again... Apple has acquired Emagic, makers of Logic

Apple today announced it has acquired Emagic, a leading provider of professional software solutions for computer based music production. Emagic's most popular product, Logic, is actively used by over 200,000 musicians around the world. Emagic will operate as a wholly owned division of Apple.

Emagic's Windows-based products will be discontinued on September 30, 2002.

2. macrumors newbie

Tobsen

3. macrumors 6502a

yeah!! bring it on!
    now people will buy mac cause there is not enough software for pc ;)
    microsoft will soon introduce new 'convert' campaign to bring all those mac users to pc ;)
    i am kindda scared for apple..what if microsoft strikes back? they are far more financially powerfull! or maybe apple and m$ have some kind of secret agreement?

4. Guest

Nahhh - AMD is the company to go for next. Then make their chips Windows incompatable from October 2002!

littlejim a.k.a. CaptainPovey

5. macrumors member

Bad tradition here...

There's another company that I know of that kept buying up smaller companies the way that Apple's been doing lately...

Worldcom.

Here's hoping Apple doesn't share in the same fate. :/

-----
    Let "them" know you're not a terrorist!

6. macrumors newbie

Is it me, or is Apple going "software"?

I get the feeling from the recent spate of purchases that Apple is going to one day break into several divisions - OS, hardware and Solutions. We know the development of OS, and Solutions seems to be coming clearer with each purchase.

Will we one day have an Apple without a tie to any particular processor or hardware manufacturer, where it the bulk of its' profits come from the smartest creative software possible and not hardware sales?

meb-bee, meb-bee...

- Jim

7. macrumors newbie

interesting ...

This is a very interesting move. After all the video post purchases it seemed inevitable that they would pick up an audio company. I personally wish it had been MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn) but the EMagic products always get very good reviews. Their new Logic Control hardware (co-developed with Mackie is a slick piece of hardware that I would love to see with an Apple logo on it.

8. macrumors member

What's Next?

Maybe Apple will pick up the staff from the Mac BU at Microsoft and then we would not have to worry about Bill.

9. macrumors newbie

What's next? iLOGIC?

I am impressed!

I am so excited about the first release! I can't wait! :)
    What can we expect? iLOGIC? :)

I hope this will be as succesful as the last time when they acquired ASTARTE, which lead into iDVD and DVD Studio PRO.

Sure, a few of the Windoze users might switch to Cubase etc, rather than switching to a MAC, but I think a lot of these guys will stay with their Software and convert to Mac... but we will see.

I only hope that they will support older EMAGIC Hardware, like the Audiowerk Recording Cards.

10. macrumors 6502a

iMusic

Edit music straight on your Mac. iMusic ships with all new Macs starting this summer (MWNY).... And of course: Only for OS X... drooooooool

11. macrumors regular

Re: Bad tradition here...

The difference IMO is that Worldcom went on a binge buying spree not matching what they need to what they got. Apple is matching what they need to what they buy. Worldcom stupidly picked up MCI and other assets but never really picked up a good wireless service provider. They make no money in the wireless phone space. Most companies in the wireless phone space are now minting money. Worldcom stuck itself in a shrinking market (long distance phone) and was not able to tap into the local phone service market as well as they would have liked. Long distance phone as a revenue generator is shrinking as flat rate long distance becomes the norm and as low cost competitors enter the field.

Here Apple bought out a music provider to complement their video side. Its part of the puzzle. I wonder if they will have an iMusic type app to help people make their own music for their movies.

12. macrumors regular

Re: Is it me, or is Apple going "software"?

Majority of their money made now if from hardware sales. If they could move it to making money off of software sales, including their OS, then maybe.
    Most of these purchases though are for the professional side of things. The content creator. Though I believe some of the aspects will trickle down into the iApps.

13. macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

and all the audio people were belly aching about "apple doesn't care about us anymore"

All I can say is WOW.

If they can rework a way to have Reason "Rewire" into logic, ala cubase, I'm sold. :)

hot!

14. macrumors newbie

Re: Bad tradition here...

Worldcom got into trouble by misrepresenting their finances, not by buying other companies. This is a sound strategy, not a decietful tactic.

15. macrumors 6502a

drastik

I wonder what this means for the hardware?

I mean, a digital audio port seems pretty likely, now, as well as maybe included MIDI hardware. We can at least expect better sound cards, and the new speakers better be nice, or maybe Pro speakers on Every System! I don't know, but I;m thrilled. Now, if we just buy Digidesign and Mackie, that'll sew it up.

And swag to Adobe. Buy out control of Photoshop, then buy Macromedia (remember where we got FCP.)

There's a big play comming.:)

16. macrumors newbie

Emagic make pro audio software. yeah, some of the technology will filter down, and there may be an iApp in the works (think Logic AV) but the difference with music is its pretty hard to make without some form of hardware, even if its just a controller keyboard... then again you need a digi video camera to use iMovie

i dont think the purchase or Emagic is to compliment movie making, as Logic Audio Platinum is a popular pro audio recording tool that allot of people and studios rely on.

one important thing that Emagic owns is the technology for the XS Key... a USB dongle device that must be connected to the machine in order to open Logic. it basically keeps your registration details inside, with the space to store hundreds of serial numbers, and Emagic has been talking about licensing the technology to other developers... with apple now owning this technology maybe we will see this device needed for all of apples pro apps? just charge your new serial to your XS Key...

madness

17. macrumors member

Windows support disconinuation

Has any other aquired company said out loudly, when will they discontinue support for windows there? There were some words about Shake bot others?

Just looking for coincidence :)

18. macrumors 6502

Re: iMusic

Well just hope it won't be as cheesy as Imovie. (I mean it has to be on a different -----HIGHER----- level)
    I wish they bought digidesign. I WANT PROTOOLS FOR X!

19. macrumors regular

Re: Re: iMusic

I want ProTools X too!!! But Mac OS X just isn't ready at this stage for pro audio! I mean there isn't even a audio input pane in the "Sound" in System Preferences!!! It's a big disgrace! And they call the Mac a digital hub, when you can'T even assign a USB input device??

Well... (calming myself.. :rolleyes: ) I'M relieved to see those screenshots on ThinkSecret. Jaguar has MIDI, Audio support in system preferences, and whole new utility! HORRAY!

Just hold on, Mac OS X is GOING TO BE the platform for the best pro-audio solutions, just wait for JAGUAR! Bring it on STEVE!

20. macrumors regular

Re: Is it me, or is Apple going "software"?

I think Apple will continue to be hardware specific. As of now, its more accurate to say that they are a harware company that makes software to encourage sales. Even with this new stable of powerful, professional, and popular programs, Apple is still hardware centric, as proven by the elimination of the discontinuing of the windows versions of their newly acquired software. I would guess that their new focus is to further optmize the platform for these programs, strengthening their hold on niche markets while still simultaneously going after the masses, albeit less aggressively...(Switch?)

-Hertz

21. macrumors 6502

Why wont apple buy up nVidia? Its at a 52 week low right now. Apple could easily do that. It would allow for apple to make its own video cards.

22. macrumors 6502a

drastik

23. macrumors newbie

Digidesign a pipedream purchase

Hey guys,

For those who wanted Apple to buy Digi you're crazy or not informed, or both. Digi is owned by Avid. Avid is the maker of the most dominate editing program on the market. Yeah, I'm a FCP user too, but the facts are the facts. So there was no way in hell that Avid would give away such an important product to the up and comer Apple in the market. Just my two cents.

24. macrumors regular

Hopefully Apple will make Logic more user friendly-- excellent software but I dumped it for Digital Performer. why? because it just works. You can install it, and be up and running in no time with simple studio configuration etc. I would love to see Logic overhauled. "Environments" ? blah. The audio and plug ins are top notch but as a Mac user I like straight forward functionality, and always saw MOTU as more of a Mac company.

Perhaps that is why they didn't acquire MOTU--because DP is already Mac only and with emagic they're shutting down a windows option--not like there aren't plenty of others.

Hopefully we'll be seeing a new firewire Audio interface/controller surface. Something in the range of Tascams US 428 but FIREWIRE -- yes.

25. macrumors 6502a

drastik

Oh, iApple already said that, sorry, I just got a little excited.:D

nVidia is worth more than its price right now, but that doesn't mean you could get it at market value. Most people who own nVidia stock (me) bought in at a higher price (also me) and realize that it is a good stock and a good company. The Price will go back up, probably pretty soon. I'm not about to part with that stock for its value right now, its worth more, the markets just in the crapper. Any level eaded investor would be with me here. You don't buy stock for a few months, you keep it for years.

That said, if (god forbid) the company is worth its market value right now (its worth a lot more) Apple wouldn't want it.;)