Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Wow

Originally posted by Dunepilot
this is INCREDIBLE news. Looks like Apple learned their lesson with Bungie. I just hope they make the Environment of Logic a LOT simpler. This has been my main complaint with the product.

But still. Wicked news

although Logic has room(very little) for some improvements, i think the worst thing Apple could do with this is to take technology and make a whole new app. i would be really depressed if we saw a dumbed-down version of Logic called iMusician or something silly. Logic is a PRO app and i'd like it to stay that way. not to say your idea is bad. "ease of use" is always welcome. i just hope they don't change it too much or worse, change it's name. it sounds trivial but familiarity is a big deal to people. i don't see this happening though. i think emagic will still have it's own identity, they are the experts after all. only now, they are Apple employees. i'm really excited about this deal. i just hope Apple doesn't go and screw it up. fingers crossed!

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
more...

i've just heard from an emagic rep that there MAY be a special offer/discounts to current Windows Logic owners who want to make the jump to Mac. this is very clever and may benefit the whole "switch" campaign in a big way.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Apple should Buy Avid for many reasons!

Avid is a huge company with:

Pro Tools (digidesign) - VIP for artists and musicians
Avid systems - Total film & tv industry rely on them

With this, they would next need to get adobe.

Well, these are good companies which could play well as part of apple.

modul8tr

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2002
Apple buys Emagic

Originally posted by Moxiemike
and all the audio people were belly aching about "apple doesn't care about us anymore"

All I can say is WOW.

If they can rework a way to have Reason "Rewire" into logic, ala cubase, I'm sold. :)

hot!

God I could not be happier to hear this. Two inovative companies together. That Rocks!! I LOVE Emagic!

Hey Moxiemike, Reason does Rewire into Logic in my 4.8.1 version. I don't know what you mean by "rework" but in my experience it works great! I also Rewire Reason into Ableton Live 1.5 which is SUCH the slick program, and an immensely powerful combo. I recommend it if you've not tried it yet.

modul8tr:D

Brent Turbo

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2002
Boston, MA
Makes total sense.

It's obvious that Apple is in the process of positioning themselves as the "go-to" company for post production software and hardware. My guess is that Emagic's technology will be integrated into Final Cut, just like all the other aquisitions they've made, in order to make it the most comlete package available for compositing, surround mixing, and just about every other post production task you can think of.

I don't know if they can topple the Discreet flint/flame/inferno empire, but it looks like they're going to make some damn fine software trying.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Apple buys Emagic

Originally posted by modul8tr

God I could not be happier to hear this. Two inovative companies together. That Rocks!! I LOVE Emagic!

Hey Moxiemike, Reason does Rewire into Logic in my 4.8.1 version. I don't know what you mean by "rework" but in my experience it works great! I also Rewire Reason into Ableton Live 1.5 which is SUCH the slick program, and an immensely powerful combo. I recommend it if you've not tried it yet.

modul8tr:D

i use Reason and Live together as well. it is such a solid setup for live shows. got any music online? i'd love to hear it.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
I don't wonna bash the party...

... but I know that a lot of Windows/Logic users are verry pissed about the announcement, that there will be only Mac products from September on anymore from emagic.

Don't forget, that 35% of the Logic installations were Windows based. They feel like kicked in the ass by apple now. Believe me, the last thing they'll do ist to switch to the Mac now. Before they will switch to Cubase SX. And a special offer to switch to the Mac from the PC with Logic is like a slap into the face for those people. They have a working setup that costed a sh*t-load and it is worthless now. Why should they spent a lot of money now just to use the Mac if they can do just the same as before?? Not to mention all the third party plug-ins and other software that don't work anymore on the Mac. and have to be purchased again or cross-updated.

I am really worried about that step by Apple. So don't get over excited. So far (here in Germany) I hear only bad comments about the news, even from Mac users.

But at least Apple bought a german company! The know what is good! :D ;)

groovebuster

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Re: Problems with justice

Originally posted by zon7
Isn't the Tribunal going to take Apple for a Monopolistic actitude?

They're not preventing anyone else from developing this stuff for the Mac. And all of their software can be uninstalled.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Re: Re: Bad tradition here...

Originally posted by bsharp

Worldcom got into trouble by misrepresenting their finances, not by buying other companies. This is a sound strategy, not a decietful tactic.

No, that's not entirely correct. They got in trouble by buying too many companies that didn't integrate well, leaving them with increasing debt and shrinking revenues. As a result, they chose to misrepresent their finances to cover up the disaster they created.

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Re: Apple should Buy Avid for many reasons!

Originally posted by mdntcallr
Avid is a huge company with:

Pro Tools (digidesign) - VIP for artists and musicians
Avid systems - Total film & tv industry rely on them

With this, they would next need to get adobe.

Well, these are good companies which could play well as part of apple.

After that, they can buy the world!

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by DavPeanut
Why wont apple buy up nVidia? Its at a 52 week low right now. Apple could easily do that. It would allow for apple to make its own video cards.

Because buying Nvidia which would require a big premium would require pretty much Apple's entire cash balance. They really don't need that now.

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Originally posted by strider42

Let none of us ever forget that apple is a multibillion dollar corporation who's only responsibility and mission is to make money for its shareholders. Apple is not interested in being the "good guys", they are interested only in money. I like apple's products, but have no illusions about what they are as a company.

Exactly, alternate history could have Apple in the postion Microsoft is now. ALL big corporations are run like Pirates of old, others your a dot-com and dead.

Apple can be as ruthless as Microsoft, Oracle or Sun, although to be fair Apple doesn't seem to whine about it like the last two companies above.

It is called competition and we the users get the best of both worlds (I use both pc and mac).

Hell I wish MS would dump media player and license Quciktime again :] Can anyone tell me why that ended?

:cool:

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Well, now Apple bought 3d software companies-so now a msic applications company? iLogic?, Final Sound Pro?. My guess Apple will acquire Stardock-a PC company that produces great customization software. Thgis wiould then mean OS X could become more customizable-and poeople could start "skinnig" OSX programs. Or maybe Apple could acquire Credo, makers of Life Forms 3D- discountine the Windows version, but kepp the Mac version. I know Logic-a cut-down version were given away as a full version in UK magazines. Or maybe eovia's Amapi 3D- drop the Win. version-only sell the mac version.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: I don't wonna bash the party...

Originally posted by groovebuster
... but I know that a lot of Windows/Logic users are verry pissed about the announcement, that there will be only Mac products from September on anymore from emagic.

Don't forget, that 35% of the Logic installations were Windows based. They feel like kicked in the ass by apple now. Believe me, the last thing they'll do ist to switch to the Mac now. Before they will switch to Cubase SX. And a special offer to switch to the Mac from the PC with Logic is like a slap into the face for those people. They have a working setup that costed a sh*t-load and it is worthless now. Why should they spent a lot of money now just to use the Mac if they can do just the same as before?? Not to mention all the third party plug-ins and other software that don't work anymore on the Mac. and have to be purchased again or cross-updated.

I am really worried about that step by Apple. So don't get over excited. So far (here in Germany) I hear only bad comments about the news, even from Mac users.

But at least Apple bought a german company! The know what is good! :D ;)

groovebuster

good point. i didn't even think about that. i just hope Apple doesn't ruin or change Logic. that would be upsetting, especially if they raised the price.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
can you give me a simple list

About 18 years ago I use to use an Alesis sequencer and drum maching
along with a keyboard and guitar to recorde music into my four track.

But I have know idea as to where to start now. How would I make a
basic hobbyist set up?

I assume theres a device that has jacks for my guitar and midi keyboards.
And just plug that device into a firewire port that a software program like
cubase records and then you go on to edit and sequene in cubase?

Please let me know if I understand this. Thanks.

_xLs_

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2002
Karlsruhe - GERMANY
Re: Wow

Originally posted by Dunepilot
I just hope they make the Environment of Logic a LOT simpler. This has been my main complaint with the product.

But still. Wicked news

That's what I hope, too, but I do not think this is gonna happen, because the people who are making this masterpiece of software are still the same. So I think we should not expect too much of it, as far as the legendary Apple-Ease-Of-Use. The same happened to DVD Studio Pro, which was an evolution of DVDirector which they bought from ASTARTE. They did most of the work under the Hood... that's what I expect from the first realease.

What I am waiting for is a App like Logic, but with the easy use of Audio material like in Ableton Live with better sounding Time-Stretching.
And this, I think could be a creat starting point for a future iApp...

just my 2 cents. :)

xelterran

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
They should buy steinberg - the guys who make cubase next mwahahaha.. :D I think apple should keep logic as a pro-app tho - i use it myself and preferr it to cubse really.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: can you give me a simple list

Originally posted by beatle888
About 18 years ago I use to use an Alesis sequencer and drum maching
along with a keyboard and guitar to recorde music into my four track.

But I have know idea as to where to start now. How would I make a
basic hobbyist set up?

I assume theres a device that has jacks for my guitar and midi keyboards.
And just plug that device into a firewire port that a software program like
cubase records and then you go on to edit and sequene in cubase?

Please let me know if I understand this. Thanks.

a basic setup could go like this:

1. Computer(obviously)
2. Sequencer/Recorder Package-i use Logic and ProTools but there are many options. Magix music studio is VERY similar to the low-end Logic(MicroLogic AV) and can be had for $30. or you could go up to a $30,000 ProTools setup. Go to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash and do a little research, Computer Music Magazine is a good start and will help you get going.
3. Synth-no need to drop thousands on a hardware keyboard anymore. there are a TON of virtual instruments out there as well as "all in one" packages like Propellerhead's Reason which could keep you busy for the rest of your life.
4. MIDI controller keyboard-these are getting cheaper and better everyday. opt for one with USB built in. expect to pay a hundred and change for a decent one.
5. Audio Interface/SoundCard-again, lots of options here. my advice is to choose your sequencing/recording package first and then find out which ones work the best with it. most of the major sequencer manufacturers are making interfaces to compliment the software too. you can go USB, FireWire, PCI, it's all up to your needs and budget.
6. Mixer-kind of optional depending on mhat your needs are. a good idea if you plan to record multiple instruments at once and to monitor the computer's output. a little project studio mixer can be had for as little as $99. the behringer euroracks are nice.
7. Microphone-if you plan to do any vocals. go for the industry standard Shure sm-57. a good all purpose mic for little cash.

that should be all you need to record pro-quality tracks for a budget. again, research is your best friend. start reading product reviews and magazines. you'll pick it up in no time. start here http://www.computermusic.co.uk
hope that helps. feel free to email me if you have questions. i could talk about this stuff all day. good luck!

badtz

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Los Angeles, CA.
WHOA!

I was VERY shocked by this news......!!!!

As a motu user, this kinda puts motu user's in an awkward situation..........

I don't think they should've killed off the pc side of development. From a business stand-point I understand why, but I don't think that is a smart thing to do.

I'm curious as to what they'll do with this down the road & if motu will/can keep up.........!!!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple should NOT buy Avid

FCP and Apple have stolen all of Avid's thunder and then some. Is FCP as mature a product as, let's say, MC? No. But it will be in a couple of years and unless Avid makes some changes they are going to see Apple zip right by them.

Many places don't need to have an Avid in every bay, but they did anyway 'cause there was nothing else to choose from. Now there is (and it's a hell of a lot cheaper). Many places that used Avids for their off-line editing have switched to FCP (or they are planning to after milking their massive Avid investment for the next couple of years).

I honestly think there is a only a small part of the video/film post industry that uses the Avid to it's full potential and/or would be hindered by using FCP.

Personally, I'd love to see Apple come out w/a competitive line of software for audio editing and compositing. Imagine how nice it would be to have the ability to buy a "complete package" that would allow all of your post programs to work seamlessly w/one another? Much like how Premiere has very good intergration w/AE and Photoshop.

Lethal

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
I hope apple uses this to lower the cost of entry and increase the ease of use for music applications and does create an integrated iApp-- it could do very well in the market.

What made me buy my Apple II years back, was that I read of a four voice sampling synth, and sequencer. What made me buy a mac plus was the Laserwriter and DTP. Years later, I still have yet to have set up a decent midi/digital audio set up because of the cost of entry and competition. The first time I bought Opcode Vision, it would not fit on my PowerBook of that time, where I really wanted to use it. When Cubase and ProTools started creating audio solutions below 1000 dollars, I nearly went for them, but which one? I had friends with studios that went with Cubase, on a PC, because the hardware was cheaper. Apple was really not healthy then, and the PC stuff stole a market they used to own.

This is a chance for them to get it back. Right now, it seems there is not really any quality product between the lowest end "teach your self piano" styled apps, and the apps that can handle Digital Audio and Midi at once.

Apple did very well applying themselves to this market gap that existed for Video.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Well, I was shocked!

My two cents about what Apple needs to do with this:

1) DO NOT dumb down Logic Audio. It is a VERY powerful, pro-level program. The key word there is PRO!!! If you know what you are doing, the environment is a wonderful thing. You can program yourself an almost limitless routing system. You need to take the time to learn it properly. It isnt for beginners. But pro audio is not the kind of thing that should be dumbed down. To make computer-based music these days, you need most of the tools that Logic gives you. Compare Logic to Cubase, with its ugly-ass interface and 'beyond-comprehension' implementation of effects (effects ALWAYS take up CPU cycles, whether or not audio is actually running through them...this SEVERELY limits the utility of anything but the fastest computers). Logic allows you to be very intricate.

2) Take Micrologic AV, and make an iApp of it. Just to piss of Avid a little more, make a nice competitor for ProTools Free. 8 audio tracks, 16 MIDI tracks, VST instruments, no environment, decent (but not top notch) built in FX. Give it away with every new Mac, and you're set. Its not enough for any really serious work, but it'll do the trick for all but the pros (a la iMovie).

3) Really start innovating. EMagic has been hampered by follwoing Steinberg's lead (with VST and with Rewire, for example). Really shore up the Logic interface (which still lacks behind Digital Performer, IMHO). Implement some kind of VST System Link like Steinberg has. Basically, be an industry leader. Apple-branded Firewire audio hardware (high AND low end). Strike a deal with Yamaha to licence mLan, and make an absolutely killer audio/MIDI firewire box for the ultra-highend.

And screw ProTools. They've been fooling people with their $15,000 hardware and crappy MIDI capabilities for long enough. Their hardware is unmatched (so far), but computers are now fast enough that they can handle most of the hard work natively. For example, we dont really need TDM plug ins anymore. VST is getting there on the host CPU.

Anyway, I've gone on too long. Good work, Apple!

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
Although the software end of the purchase is great, everyone is forgetting the hardware end. With this purchase we basically have the next digital hub device spelled out for us. an external surround sound card.

http://www.emagic.de/english/products/hardware/emi26.html

Apple has only stereo sound support and is getting flamed by both gamers and audiophiles alike. The Soundblaster Live fiasco is well known and nobody has a 4.1 or 5.1 solution.

Completely necessary for the digital hub.

with eMagic they have the next iApp (Micrologic AV), ProApp (Logic Audio) and digital hub device. (EMI 216)

Damn nice purchase if they ask me :)

C-

DrGruv1

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Chicago - West 'Burbs
Apple + Emagic = 1

WOW Oh WOW and more WOW...

Can they do it without messing up my sacred Logic Plat?

I'm an old notator user on atari from the eighties...

I jumped to the Mac in '91 the features were SO good, I felt left behind.

Can they do it? - make it better faster er stronger!?!

Dr. Gruv
:)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by Edge100
Well, I was shocked!

My two cents about what Apple needs to do with this:

1) DO NOT dumb down Logic Audio. It is a VERY powerful, pro-level program. The key word there is PRO!!! If you know what you are doing, the environment is a wonderful thing. You can program yourself an almost limitless routing system. You need to take the time to learn it properly. It isnt for beginners. But pro audio is not the kind of thing that should be dumbed down. To make computer-based music these days, you need most of the tools that Logic gives you. Compare Logic to Cubase, with its ugly-ass interface and 'beyond-comprehension' implementation of effects (effects ALWAYS take up CPU cycles, whether or not audio is actually running through them...this SEVERELY limits the utility of anything but the fastest computers). Logic allows you to be very intricate.

2) Take Micrologic AV, and make an iApp of it. Just to piss of Avid a little more, make a nice competitor for ProTools Free. 8 audio tracks, 16 MIDI tracks, VST instruments, no environment, decent (but not top notch) built in FX. Give it away with every new Mac, and you're set. Its not enough for any really serious work, but it'll do the trick for all but the pros (a la iMovie).

3) Really start innovating. EMagic has been hampered by follwoing Steinberg's lead (with VST and with Rewire, for example). Really shore up the Logic interface (which still lacks behind Digital Performer, IMHO). Implement some kind of VST System Link like Steinberg has. Basically, be an industry leader. Apple-branded Firewire audio hardware (high AND low end). Strike a deal with Yamaha to licence mLan, and make an absolutely killer audio/MIDI firewire box for the ultra-highend.

And screw ProTools. They've been fooling people with their $15,000 hardware and crappy MIDI capabilities for long enough. Their hardware is unmatched (so far), but computers are now fast enough that they can handle most of the hard work natively. For example, we dont really need TDM plug ins anymore. VST is getting there on the host CPU.

Anyway, I've gone on too long. Good work, Apple!

Right! DO NOT DUMB IT DOWN! don't even make an iApp out of it for all i care. just keep it PRO. like you said, not everyone should be fiddling with this stuff anyway. this is my only fear...Apple renames it something ridiculous or strips it down to a FruityLoops equivilent or worse, doubles the price Apple-style. I've been loyal to Apple and Logic since day one and this buyout could be the best or worse thing to happen to me yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.