Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth
Although the software end of the purchase is great, everyone is forgetting the hardware end. With this purchase we basically have the next digital hub device spelled out for us. an external surround sound card.

http://www.emagic.de/english/products/hardware/emi26.html

Apple has only stereo sound support and is getting flamed by both gamers and audiophiles alike. The Soundblaster Live fiasco is well known and nobody has a 4.1 or 5.1 solution.

Completely necessary for the digital hub.

with eMagic they have the next iApp (Micrologic AV), ProApp (Logic Audio) and digital hub device. (EMI 216)

Damn nice purchase if they ask me :)

C-

i've been using the 2|6 for location recording for a while now and it's great. they are also coming out with a 6|2 to compliment it, giving a collective total of 6ins and 6outs. be aware that these devices are really designed for pro music recording and have features/functions that would do an iConsumer little good. although it would be cool if they borrowed some of the technology to make a seperate Apple branded interface that could support 24bit/96khz and the like. i hope they don't destroy this amazing software by dumbing it down to an iApp. i've been using Logic forever and i'd rather not see it change it's direction. it's cool with me that Apple owns them and they will probably start selling it direct but being owned by Apple could mean good or bad, especially if they decide to start over-pricing in Apple tradition.

Archer

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2002
Guys,

Relax, Apple will not dumb down Logic for an iApp. iMovie is not a dumbed down version of FCP. If it was it would be so easy to move on up. The metaphor is different, the tools and obviously the features are different. iDVD is different from DVD Studio. All the iApps are built for the consumer in mind, they may use some of the tech from their Pro line siblings but they are different. I wouldn't worry or have a deep fear that all these young'ins are going to steal your jobs. They may steal your jobs anyway, but that's because Logic, Shake/Tremor/Chalice, and FCP or so damn affordable. Then it'll be all about skills.

To get poetic, let these programs be the rise of democratic media tools, let the revolution begin, and let us all tell our stories - all of them for the world to hear, see, and remember.

modul8tr

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2002
Apple-branded Firewire audio hardware (high AND low end). Strike a deal with Yamaha to licence mLan, and make an absolutely killer audio/MIDI firewire box for the ultra-highend.

God, that's making my mouth water!!!!:D

Rock on!

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
It's unlikely that Apple are planning to make an iApp out of this - there's no demand! Consumers are interested in family movies and such, but not many of them are interested in making their own music on a computer!

More likely they'll produce an education version of Logic at a lower price.

However, they have to protect their investement, so I would suspect we'll see them improving Logic and integrating it tightly into OS X - to deliver industry leading feature. The last thing they'll do is strip it down!

Of course Apple is a commercial organisation - but they still need to come across as the good guys - image and public perception are very important to them as a business - particuarly because of their underdog status.

Scottgfx

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2002
Fort Myers, FL
M$

Wow, and I thought all of the musicians were still using Atari STs! :)

Anyway... I remember a neat MIDI program for the Amiga called "Bars and Pipes". In the early `90's Microsoft bought them and then I never heard anything more about it. What happened to them?

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by modul8tr
Apple-branded Firewire audio hardware (high AND low end). Strike a deal with Yamaha to licence mLan, and make an absolutely killer audio/MIDI firewire box for the ultra-highend.

God, that's making my mouth water!!!!:D

Rock on!

yeah, mLan never really took off like i thought it would. it was truly ahead of it's time when released. i wound up selling my a4000 sampler and then they went and came out with that whole control center and everything. damn. i hope mLan makes it. i'm for anything that will get me out of this tangled web of cables! imagine, all your audio tracks and MIDI in ONE cable. it already exists. everyone just needs to get on board...i can't wait to wave a fond farewell to traditional MIDI cables and 1/4" wiring.

modul8tr

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2002
Originally posted by tjwett

imagine, all your audio tracks and MIDI in ONE cable. it already exists. everyone just needs to get on board...i can't wait to wave a fond farewell to traditional MIDI cables and 1/4" wiring.

Amen to that!:D

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Originally posted by Archer
Guys,

Relax, Apple will not dumb down Logic for an iApp. iMovie is not a dumbed down version of FCP. If it was it would be so easy to move on up. The metaphor is different, the tools and obviously the features are different.

Since when is the creation of an iApp automatically mean that an already existing pro level app will be made unavailable or garbage? Where does that sort of thinking even come from?

Apple will keep a pro Logic in order to have something to sell...

That does not mean creating a useful iApp with a partial feature set to help sell Macs, and to help move people into using midi/audio apps is a horrible idea.

Maybe you were hoping you would get full Logic for nothing just for buying a Mac?

Sorry, I want an iApp from this purchase or they may as well have not bought it. It will help boost sales of the pro version, by warming people to the paradigm. I think many people underestimate the size of the market of people who have not made the leap into pro audio midi software, but have wanted to for years because the price of entry was just a little too high, the choices just a little too competitive, and basics of the software could not be learned or tried out before making the committment. I don't have any problem with Channel Strips or the concept of real world multitrack recording and Midi, but doing this in an integrated environment with a virtual mixing board and effect and patching has its own software bound peculiarities that could be ironed out by Apples acquisition, and could familarize those that DO want more, without cannibalizing the upper tier program.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by DavPeanut
Why wont apple buy up nVidia? Its at a 52 week low right now. Apple could easily do that. It would allow for apple to make its own video cards.

1) Apple doesn't have enough cash to buy them without getting indigestion. Apple won't be able (or willing) to pay for them with full cash, and it wouldn't be worth it to issue new shares to buy them since Apple's shares are pretty low themselves right now.
2) If they DID buy Nvidia, Apple would HAVE to keep releasing pc Geforces because if they didn't, they wouldn't get enough revenue to keep up R&D and ATi, Matrox and all of nVidia's other competitors will leave the Geforce in the dust.
3) Apple risks alienating ATi, thereby reducing their supply of graphics cards to just one source, which is never good.

Apple has everything they need from nVidia right now, why would they do something really stupid and buy them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.