Apple Acquires Facial Expression Analysis Startup Emotient

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has purchased artificial intelligence startup Emotient, reports The Wall Street Journal. According to its website, Emotient uses artificial intelligence to read emotion through the analysis of facial expressions.

Emotient's technology was previously used by advertisers to determine emotional reactions to advertisements. It let advertisers know whether an ad was getting noticed, how people responded, and whether a reaction was positive or negative. The technology used cameras to capture video that was then analyzed to "learn about the customer's state of mind."

[​IMG]
    An Apple spokesperson confirmed the acquisition to The Wall Street Journal with its standard acquisition statement: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

It isn't known what Apple will do with Emotient's technology, but the company has made two other semi-related acquisitions in recent months. In October, Apple purchased Perceptio, a startup focused on deep learning and image-recognition systems, and in September, Apple acquired real-time motion capture firm Faceshift, a company that worked on technology to capture facial expressions using 3D sensors.

Article Link: Apple Acquires Facial Expression Analysis Startup Emotient

2. szw-mapple fan macrumors 6502a

szw-mapple fan

Apple could use this to judge how satisfied we actually are with our iPhones. ;)

3. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 65816

yaxomoxay

Facial expressions would be perfect for Apple Car

5. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

Stuff like this worries me. I'm going to put a black piece of tape over my front facing camera.

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

My iphone can sense my disappointment with Apple on things like the long refreshes of the Mac Pro and Mac Mini when she asks what's wrong.

7. cariacou macrumors 6502

cariacou

I hope these pictures arent a practice guide to interact with my phone..

8. Zirel, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

Zirel macrumors 65816

Zirel

What for? People now talk through Kimoji (Kim Kardashian's Emoji App).

Some people reading this:

[​IMG]

9. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Maybe Apple will go all "Sneakers" and implement "My face is my passport, verify me" and allow you to unlock your device with facial or finger print identification.

10. Cuban Missles macrumors 68030

Cuban Missles

your phone will detect your mood as you text and send mood changing feedback through the watch. what did you think they were doing with watch v2?

11. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

Cook better start practicing his sad face, he will need it when he is fired soon

12. joueboy macrumors 6502a

They will secretly install this on every Apple products. So when we all watch a product announcements. They want to know if we are excited, happy and ready to buy. If we're not they don't care anyway, they'll just make more color choices and put more money on advertising.

13. macintologist macrumors 6502

Maybe this is to prevent Google from purchasing it.

14. BeefCake 15 macrumors 6502a

BeefCake 15

This is to recommend emoticons and words for you based on expression. for example, If you're angry it will recommend the middle finger emoticon for the person you're speaking with.

15. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

16. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

Reference: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/01/06/apple-ceo-tim-cook-2015-salary

Tim isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

17. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The women in the photo is having PMS and those emotions are happening within a span of about 30 minutes.

19. InfoTime macrumors 6502

whose name was inspired by it's founders hungover state one Sunday morning in September 2013.

20. mi7chy macrumors 68000

21. NMBob macrumors 6502a

Well they better turn off the 'shaking their head in disbelief' detection subroutine or they will be swamped with data.

22. JohnApples macrumors 6502a

They're going to use this at the iPhone 7 reveal to detect the crowd's reaction to the 16GB entry-level model.

23. Mac 128 macrumors 68030

Mac 128

This all but guarantees a FaceTime camera on the Watch, which will detect whether a user is looking at the watch, when the watch detects a movement which would otherwise turn on the backlight. It will also maintain the backlight as long as the user is looking at the watch, and likewise turn it off faster, as soon as the user is not looking at the watch. This tech will be effective on the iPad and iPhone as well, though to a lesser extent necessary.

24. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa