Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has acquired database company FoundationDB, reports TechCrunch. FoundationDB is a company that "develops scalable and fault tolerant databases that support multiple data models." A notice on the company's site says that it has ceased to offer downloads after deciding to "evolve [the] company mission."

According to TechCrunch, FoundationDB may have been an attractive purchase for Apple due to its ability to handle ACID-compliant transactions quickly and its strong scalability. A company blog post suggested it could achieve 54 billion writes per hour at a cost-per-write of 3 nanodollars.

foundationdbacquisition-800x418.jpg
FoundationDB's attractiveness came in the speed at which it handled ACID-compliant transactions and coupled that with strong scalability. FoundationDB hosted a booth at TechCrunch Disrupt 2012, where we first wrote about its approach to a modern NoSQL database and its 'NoSQL, YesACID' motto. FoundationDB's latest engine, which was covered by TC Columnist Jon Evans late last year, scaled up 14.4 million random writes per second.
TechCrunch describes FoundationDB as a "fast, affordable and durable database company" that may have been acquired to boost Apple's server-side technologies for the App Store, iTunes Connect, iTunes in the Cloud, or another service.

Apple confirmed the acquisition with the standard statement that it gives on purchases: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

Article Link: Apple Acquires 'Rock-Solid High-Performance' Database Company FoundationDB

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Dear former customers of Rock-Solid…
Your trust in our Rock-Solid products is no longer rock-solid, literally.
Sorry to shatter your plans, but we ceased operations.
We have been assimilated.
:apple:

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Maybe now iCloud mail will improve. I still can't search for messages on the web interface or my iOS devices…errors every time. Sad.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
What the heck are nano dollars?

I have no idea either.

This article flunks Journalism 101. The writer tosses about arcane industry jargon and assumes the readers will understand every word of it.

C'mon, Arn. Shouldn't we expect better from Macrumors scribes? Or is it because you paying them nano-peanuts?

prasand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2015
UES, New York
Odd, as it seems like Apple's first serious foray into NoSQL, but I can't fathom why they wouldn't have leveraged it prior. Regardless, it's good news for Apple and its customers, and perhaps bad news for those that relied on FoundationDB's ACIDity.

1 Nanodollar == $0.0000000001

$0.0000000003 * 54000000000 == $16.20 an hour

--- edit ---

It was brought to my attention by James Bondo that I typed one too many zeros in the above. Just amending this in case someone encounters that misleading math before his correcting me. It is actually:

1 Nanodollar == $0.000000001

$0.000000003 * 54000000000 == $162.00 an hour

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Basically, they reverse calculated the cost of a single write operation, based on a large DB cluster costing X amount and being able to handle Y amount of ops.

I saw another article citing 3.6million writes per penny, based on a 480 core AWS instance.

The software can scale up to some point, to achieve maximum performance, then what is the cost of that scale in terms of infrastructure.

Really dig on noSQL, I've been using Mongo and Couch for a couple of years now, and for some parts of the architecture, it's simply fantastic. :cool:

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
https://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/24/apple-acquires-foundationdb/

Apple has acquired database company FoundationDB, reports TechCrunch. FoundationDB is a company that "develops scalable and fault tolerant databases that support multiple data models." A notice on the company's site says that it has ceased to offer downloads after deciding to "evolve [the] company mission."

Article Link: Apple Acquires 'Rock-Solid High-Performance' Database Company FoundationDB

Anyone have any thought on why this is interesting?

Mashurrab

macrumors regular
May 30, 2014
Why dismissing the fact that this DB can be used in IOS devices. This should make these devices faster and able to process lots of data on there much bigger available capacities and smaller CPUs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.