Apple Acquires SnappyLabs, Maker of SnappyCam Burst Photo App [Confirmed]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 4, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has acquired SnappyLabs, a one-man app maker behind the now-discontinued SnappyCam app. The app was removed from the App Store -- along with its website and social media presence -- just before the end of the year.

According to TechCrunch, which first reported the acquisition:
    Back in July, SnappyCam was upgraded with new technology, detailed in a now-deleted blog post (still viewable via Archive.org), that explains how developer John Papandriopoulos was able to redesign how JPG images are compressed, allowing the iPhone to shoot full-quality burst mode photographs at significant higher frames per second than other competing technologies, including the new burst mode built into iOS 7.

[​IMG]
    With the acquisition, it seems likely that Apple will integrate the SnappyCam technology into its native iOS and OS X camera programs and APIs. Apple added burst mode photo shooting to iOS 7, allowing iPhone 5s owners to shoot 10 photos per second at full resolution, in order to get the best shot in action scenes or with fast-moving children.

SnappyCam is no longer available for download from the App Store. Pricing and other details were not revealed, and Apple has not yet confirmed the acquisition.

Update: Apple has confirmed the acquisition to Kara Swisher at Re/code, the new home of the AllThingsD team.

Article Link: Apple Acquires SnappyLabs, Maker of SnappyCam Burst Photo App [Confirmed]

2. macrumors G3

Renzatic

That was snappy.

3. macrumors member

Well, he is rich.

4. macrumors 601

Traverse

I'm glad. Anything Apple wants to do to improve the camera functionality of the iPhone is okay with me! :)

5. macrumors member

Makes sense. Don't buy bloated overpriced developers that really don't do anything.

Buy the small developers that are actually innovating and improving technology.

6. macrumors member

Supertecnoboff

The UI of that app looks ****. But congrats to the developer.

7. macrumors 6502a

It's developers like John Papandriopoulos that amaze me! Effectively an army of one, John redesigned how JPG images are compressed. Incredible! While the devs at Apple overlooked the possibility of more efficient JPG compression, John used his imagination and created something outstanding! You deserve the $millions you got for this John.

8. macrumors 6502a

I made a post about this on Monday here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1689860

I've since been able to try out the app and actually, while it's impressive the speed it can take photos.
    The actual resulting photos are not very good quality , more like very high ISO photos with lots of noise.

When I compared a burst photo from apples camera app with the exact same scene with this app, this app produced far more noise.

9. N64
    macrumors regular

Exactly. I guess it's more about the technology. I'm looking forward to whatever new feature Apple will use this for.

----------

Yeah. This guy is great. Glad to see an acquisition of someone's innovative new JPG compression than a cheap app with zero new technology and success based on luck/trend like Instagram.

10. macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Well done John. It just goes to show - all you need is a good idea.. Be it a sole trader, have 100 or 1000 staff.

11. macrumors 6502a

Perhaps the real reason that Apple acquired SnappyLabs was to put in it charge of Safari development. ;)

12. macrumors regular

Does anyone else find that the current burst mode sucks? All my photos come out ghosted or blurry.

13. macrumors 6502a

aaronvan

I doff my hat to you, Sir.

14. macrumors 6502a

Nevaborn

I want advanced settings, hope we can get this sorted for the 6.

15. macrumors 6502a

It's interesting that he went off and reimplemented JPEG. Someone I knew once said that most JPEG implementations suck, and apparently it's true.

If he could get that much speed on the same hardware, imagine how much faster everything else might turn out to be with a bit of hardcore optimization.

16. macrumors 6502a

Klae17

They should have snapped up Instagram for $1 billion.

17. macrumors regular

Wow how innovative Apple. Nobody innovates like you.

18. N64
    macrumors regular

He named it SnappyLabs because he knew Apple would go for it :D

19. macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

You need a lot more than just a good idea. What's impressive is the implementation of the idea. But you are right, one very talented programmer can produce something remarkable.

20. macrumors 6502a

Hats off to him, it's a great story.

I would image Apple have bought his company and hired him too ?

21. macrumors 601

HiRez

Pretty deceptive images there, those were obviously shot with a full frame DSLR with in the case of the dog, a long lens and large aperture, and in the case of the baby, studio lighting. No way in hell you will ever get images like that out of a phone camera.

22. macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Yes, because only DSLRs are allowed to use studio lighting :rolleyes:

23. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

You read my mind, but at any rate, anything done to improve the iPhone's capabilities or PQ, is very welcome.

P&S cameras are all but irrelevant now.

24. macrumors 6502

Be assured that Apple has done the same test at least once.
    For some reason they still bought that company.
    I guess it was a good reason.

25. JAT
    macrumors 603

That picture of the dog requires about a $1200 DSLR body, similarly priced lens, if not twice that, and a photog that knows how to take it.

This app does not make that pic.