1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Apple Acquires Social Recommendation Service Spotsetter

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 6, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has acquired Spotsetter, a social search engine designed to offer personalized recommendations on places to visit, reports TechCrunch. The Spotsetter app, which has now been removed from the App Store, offered personal recommendations for "great venues to eat, play, drink, and shop" via existing social networks.

[​IMG]
    The app integrated with social networks like Facebook to aggregate data on locations recommended by friends, and it included results personalized for an individual's "taste and trust."
    Spotsetter announced plans to shut down its app six days ago, but did not give a reason for the removal. Its co-founders, Stephen Tse and Johnny Lee are now listed as Apple employees on LinkedIn, however.
    According to TechCrunch, Apple may be planning to use Spotsetter's technology, which layered social data on a maps interface, to bolster its Maps app with location recommendations. The deal, for an unspecified amount, was said to focus mainly on the technology and the talent of Spotsetter's founders.

Article Link: Apple Acquires Social Recommendation Service Spotsetter

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like Apple is bolstering its social offerings.

3. razbiz, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

macrumors newbie

So it begins...

maps it is...

4. macrumors 6502a

Kill zagat

5. Guest

Sky Blue

surely more for mapping

6. macrumors 6502

What was the price?

7. macrumors 65816

Should have been Waze

8. macrumors demi-god

Peace

It looks to be a replacement and/or competition for Yelp !

9. macrumors 65816

bawbac

This will be a game changer.

10. macrumors regular

I think Google bought Waze.

11. macrumors 6502

This whole cottage industry is saturated to the hilt.

12. macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

As much as I wanted to see Apple kick Google's butt in court, I think this strategy is the better approach. Apple continues to make the moves necessary to make Google redundant under iOS and Mac OS (well, as redundant as they can). I find myself using Google's services less and less and also find myself increasingly happy with Apple's offerings. And that's good in a lot of ways, not the least of which is that I trust Apple with my personal information a LOT more than I trust Google.

Mark

13. macrumors 6502

OtherJesus

More shanks into the google revenue stream. I love it.

14. macrumors newbie

Should have been Foursquare many many years ago!

15. macrumors 6502

For being such a perfectionist his headphones sounded like crap.

16. macrumors member

Who?
    Apple is pretty good at buying companies I've never heard of, while Google buys a number of large companies with whom I'm more familiar.

17. macrumors 6502

bchery21

wrong article?

18. macrumors 6502a

As an investor, I much prefer Apple's strategy.

The Beats purchase is a significant departure from that, I guess, but in general.

19. macrumors 603

thekev

It helps them get a good deal when they aren't after the brand itself. Just being unknown outside of tech circles doesn't mean untalented or lacking a good product.

20. macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs would have never done this. What a waste of money. This is not the apple I grew up with. As a shareholder I am outraged. They should have bought Spotifysetter.

----------

Do I take advise on headphones from a guy who can't post in the right thread or one of the most successful music producers of all time?

21. macrumors member

I agree, however, buying a better known or better company gives you a quicker benefit. Less time would be spent developing the product to compete against a bigger and more established company.
    Zagat was bought by Google. They're among the most respected and trusted review site out there and have over 30 years of data.
    Waze is another one. It took less than a year to incorporate it into their Maps app and website. Nest? Already 2 products on the market and would have been a good start for home automation/integration.

I'm all for adding services and value to existing products, but sometimes you gotta pony up the big bucks to get the big name. Beats is not among those I would have guessed.

22. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

They need to be more social.

23. macrumors member

Very innovative of Apple. Almost as innovative as taking a magnetic plug used on Asian Water Kettle and putting it on a laptop and then patenting it.

24. macrumors 603

thekev

At least in the case of Zagat, I don't think that would have been a very Apple-like purchase. They don't typically buy broader services, more things they can develop further and integrate as part of the Apple brand. Google has a greater focus on advertising, but I'm still unsure how they intend to integrate a brand which is best known for dining reviews, especially at the mid to upper level as far as meal cost is concerned. It would also surprise me in a similar manner if Apple bought OpenTable.

I wouldn't have guessed Beats either. The headphones have interesting aesthetics. I don't know much about their streaming service, but I've always liked Pandora and Spotify. At similar headphone price points, I would buy Sennheisers or simply research smaller brands rather than Beats, but that is personal preference. They seem a lot like a fashion brand without any really strong engineering, although I suspect it takes a long time to perfect the engineering on headphones.

25. macrumors 68030

It's always exciting when Apple snaps up a company, and watching their tech get implemented