Apple acquires Zayante

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Ensign Paris, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

MacMinute reports:

Apple buys leading FireWire developer
    April 4 - 08:45 ET  Apple today announced that it has acquired Zayante, a leader in IEEE 1394 (FireWire) technology and services. Founded in 1996, Zayante develops the silicon and software used by leading manufacturers to create FireWire devices. "By acquiring Zayante, Apple is extending its commitment to FireWire as the premiere, high-speed digital interface solution," Jon Rubinstein, Apple's senior vice president of Hardware Engineering said in a statement. Terms of the acquisition were not released; Zayante has received US$4.5 million in venture capital financing to date.

------

This makes me wonder if this is going to help with the release of Firewire2/Gigawire.

Ensign

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It is somewhat curious though. Apple was the original developer of 1394, but Zayante is mostly MS.

One of their hardware solutions is the ZBox, with these specs:

The hardware platform is based on an Intel Celeron processor, 32MByte SDRAM, 10GByte HDD, and a 1394 OHCI-based subsystem for high bandwidth transfers of asynchronous and isochronous data.

They have even more ties with MS as well. It should be interesting if this has any effect on the Apple/MS renegotiation.

And right on their home page is this image:

Attached Files:

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Could it be that Apple has done this to ensure quick acceptance of the FireWire 2 standard? Sounds like it to me...

This is a very good thing.

4. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

It would make sense for it to get Firewire2 excepted on Windows machines (I know Firewire already is, but just for them to make sure)

I would say expect to see Firewire2 soon!

Ensign

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

sounds like a good thing for Apple. this should really help the development of firewire etc.

6. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris